Good Friday Bird

spring

With the my office closed, my son and I slipped out this morning at my farm to see if a bird might gobble. Our bird numbers have been low lately, and so far this season, on the times I've been out, I've only heard one bird on each hunt. Over the winter I'd see a handful of good gobblers, but as they spread out in the spring, for some reason, the other side of my property line seems popular.

We still went out, truly thinking we'd pass up and just video a lone gobbler if one showed for the sake of spring nesting.

After a quiet start to the morning, however, we soon heard a gobbler at a very long distance. Not long after that, about as far away as you could hear in the opposite direction, we heard another. The sense of competition between the birds soon came into play, and before long birds were nearing us from both directions. We also kept thinking that somehow it sounded like there were more than just the 2 gobblers....

Soon the bird that was the second to gobble was clearly headed our way; pretty much one of those times where I could only screw things up, which in the past I certainly have. As the lustful gobbler stepped into shooting range, we saw that it was two of them. My son had the gun and I was calling and trying to video a bit on my phone. The "BOOM" of his gun was great to hear, and the gobbler began his death roll. Really good bird; 12" beard and 1 3/8" spurs. As we headed out, we saw the first bird that we heard that morning—along with another great gobbler. Maybe we have more of these rascals than I've been thinking!

IMG_7689.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Very nice!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! That’s a great Good Friday! Congrats to you both!