Got a nice bird!

Jake300win

IMG_20240207_132219790_HDR.jpg
I spent the last two weeks on quest for a grouse every chance I got. Missed a couple easy shots or the birds flushed to far out. Special season for myself and my young pointer. We took Ga wild quail, pheasant, woodcock and Grouse. I don't know what was harder to find the quail or grouse lol.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yeah definitely a hard bird bird to get in Georgia. I have walked over 30 miles in the mountains the last few weeks. Saw four birds and heard one flush but never saw it.
Do they have a small home range or do they move/re locate throughout the year ?

Jake300win

Do they have a small home range or do they move/re locate through out the year
From what I understand mature males trand to have a small range/territory. Female and immature birds move around more. I think they also move to different food sources throughout the year. More berries insects and clover in the spring and summer early fall. Then they depend on acorns for late fall and winter. The bird I shot was full of acorns.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah definitely a hard bird bird to get in Georgia. I have walked over 30 miles in the mountains the last few weeks. Saw four birds and heard one flush but never saw it.
It's a shame. 25 years ago, I could walk out my back door and flush half a dozen in an hour or two. They were sitting all in the roads picking grit early in the morning. Then, they just disappeared. I don't see half a dozen a year now.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It's a shame. 25 years ago, I could walk out my back door and flush half a dozen in an hour or two. They were sitting all in the roads picking grit early in the morning. Then, they just disappeared. I don't see half a dozen a year now.
What do you think happened to them ? Humans , disease, habitat or a combination of many things

menhadenman

What do you think happened to them ? Humans , disease, habitat or a combination of many things
@NC Hillbilly will have more insights but I have heard that the reduction in logging on national forest is a big culprit. Grouse love those cuts about 10-15 years after. I did a little bit of grouse hunting about 20 years ago and that was the type of stuff you found them in. Of course the gravel roads are important too.

menhadenman

View attachment 1288030
I spent the last two weeks on quest for a grouse every chance I got. Missed a couple easy shots or the birds flushed to far out. Special season for myself and my young pointer. We took Ga wild quail, pheasant, woodcock and Grouse. I don't know what was harder to find the quail or grouse lol.
Sweet bird! I’ve got a young pup that’s started pointing and really like to get him on a bird before the season is out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
@NC Hillbilly will have more insights but I have heard that the reduction in logging on national forest is a big culprit. Grouse love those cuts about 10-15 years after. I did a little bit of grouse hunting about 20 years ago and that was the type of stuff you found them in. Of course the gravel roads are important too.
Yeah, except they disappeared at the same time off of private land that the use hasn't changed. Quail disappeared about the same time. I'm guessing disease of some sort.