Got sick of losing expensive lead

gunnurse

I fish in some pretty gnarly places for catfish. I end up losing a bunch of sinkers. So, I made these. Cheap and no lead in the river. Cheap light wire hook shanks epoxied in.

Attachments

• C53F9698-1836-4FFC-A59B-52F1058B36A0.jpeg
    C53F9698-1836-4FFC-A59B-52F1058B36A0.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 289

gunnurse

That’s what I’m going to use them for. My goal is a 50+ pound fish after I get my back surgery so I can lift it. For now, I have to settle for 25- pound dink’s. I hope they know if they’re too fat for me.

j_seph

Did you just drill holes into the rocks?
I have seen an old man in S GA using sparkplugs before

gunnurse

I just drilled holes in the rocks with a carbide tipped bit. Then, I epoxied the eyes in.

Chap

I just drilled holes in the rocks with a carbide tipped bit. Then, I epoxied the eyes in.

If you got bored you could probably sell these on Amazon and/or Ebay. Just buy a bag of landscaping rocks at the hardware store and start drilling. I'd buy some, particularly from a guy just doing this in his shop from home.

I know the struggle, man. When I go through my catfishing phases, or even fishing inshore salt for bull reds I can lose a lot of pyramid sinkers on oyster bars and blow downs and dock pilings. I've often considered buying a burner and the gear to pour my own sinkers. But I know how I have an obsessive personality with small details. I'd quit fishing and sit in my garage pouring lead sinkers all the time. That's why I don't fly-fish. I'd just tie flies all the dang time.

gunnurse

I’ve modified the weights. I buy a bag of snap swivels and put the end with the eye into my stone. That way, you can use a three way swivel, put your main line in one eye of the three way, snap your weight into the second eye, and rig your leader into the third eye.