GPS tracking by my employer

Lukikus2

It would have to be a smart phone. Maybe I could WiFi piggyback an old phone or cheapo with the app on it. May be cheaper than causing a stink or a resignation. Thanks.

I've used cricket with a smartphone, same service but cheaper plan.

I have told everyone of my employers that brought up using my phone that I would not. Bluntly. If it's that important they will issue you one. In my case they did every time. They know the lines they can't cross.

JackSprat

You can get a burner smartphone from Staight Talk (and probably most other providers). So to their site, not Wal Mart. use it for work, turn it off at the end of the day.

If you are really paranoid, take the battery out so that they can't "ping" your phone from towers.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
It would have to be a smart phone. Maybe I could WiFi piggyback an old phone or cheapo with the app on it. May be cheaper than causing a stink or a resignation. Thanks.

Trak phone and the like have cheap smart phones. This sounds like a good idea to me. Get home at the end of the day, leave the work phone on the counter (or turned off), and go about your personal business.

marathon

if your employer is so worried about mileage and phone, let them provide both, get off work, park 'em both, use your own for personal business.

As a sales person myself, I love the fact that my profession is the free market in action. Having said that, I don't get your "left wing" comments. If you don't like your current situation, us free market principles. Go to your employer an tell them that in order to have your labor, they must do XXXXXXXX. Are you not willing to use "conservative principles" and let the free market decide?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You could try telling them that you do not want their unknown app on your personal phone and asking that they provide whatever device they want it installed on. You could then leave it at the office or your house after work.

The month before you quit it might be fun to stick it under the seat of an Atlanta taxi cab or mail it to somewhere in Japan.

buckpasser

As a sales person myself, I love the fact that my profession is the free market in action. Having said that, I don't get your "left wing" comments. If you don't like your current situation, us free market principles. Go to your employer an tell them that in order to have your labor, they must do XXXXXXXX. Are you not willing to use "conservative principles" and let the free market decide?

The “left wing” comment comes from the fact that many of my coworkers are much more “progressive” than myself. I think they are much more willing to lose or surrender personal liberties in all areas of life, not just at work. It’s just my opinion, but I believe that’s at least one reason I’m more disturbed by this change. Also, many of them are motivated by fear of losing this job more than I am for a multitude of reasons. Pushing this issue is not off the table for me. Thanks for your reply.

The “left wing” comment comes from the fact that many of my coworkers are much more “progressive” than myself. I think they are much more willing to lose or surrender personal liberties in all areas of life, not just at work. It’s just my opinion, but I believe that’s at least one reason I’m more disturbed by this change. Also, many of them are motivated by fear of losing this job more than I am for a multitude of reasons. Pushing this issue is not off the table for me. Thanks for your reply.

I'll be interested to hear what you do. Keep in mind that many "personal liberties" people think they have end when you choose to work for a private employer.

PappyHoel

I’ve heard big brother used. It’s not big brother (gov) that’s running things in this country. It’s the corporations. With that said, the new privacy requirements that are coming will stop this type of intrusion. We will soon adopt GPDR privacy requirements like Europe did last month.

Beaudeane

I have gps tracking in my Freightliner for work. I’m leased to a motor carrier. It’s part of my contract I have it. I’m paid percentage not mileage. Few trucking outfits pay actual mileage anyways. I also do my electronic logs on their device. I hated it about a week then figured out how to play their game and use it to my advantage. My option is use it or find somewhere else to work. Pay is good enough not to make that move

livetohunt

You could try telling them that you do not want their unknown app on your personal phone and asking that they provide whatever device they want it installed on. You could then leave it at the office or your house after work.

This is what I would do. Tell them your concerns about be tracked when you are not on company time if they say no.

buckpasser

For now here’s what I’ve decided to do:

I bought a ten dollar smart phone that I will load the app on. It has no service and will only be used on their Verizon Mifi box. It will be on while I’m traveling and off if I do so much as stop to eat lunch. I’m still not crazy about it, but I will now be reimbursed more than before because of how I’ve been filing mileage vs driving true miles. Thanks for all the comments. I’ll need to get to 18.69 extra miles filed before I break even on the China phone...shouldn’t take long!

buckpasser

Update:

They are finally rolling out the tracking app. On the training I learned you must click “allow access to files and photos”, but they’ve promised to never access them. Also, you must click “allow all the time”, not “allow when app in use”, because it just won’t work properly otherwise. My little China droid is loaded and ready for action-when I want it to be! The grumbling has finally begun with my coworkers and I’m looking forward to the upcoming drama! :pop:

NOYDB

BANNED
Update:

They are finally rolling out the tracking app. On the training I learned you must click “allow access to files and photos”, but they’ve promised to never access them. Also, you must click “allow all the time”, not “allow when app in use”, because it just won’t work properly otherwise. My little China droid is loaded and ready for action-when I want it to be! The grumbling has finally begun with my coworkers and I’m looking forward to the upcoming drama! :pop:

Based on the results of other releases around and how they don't work, expect massive amounts of bad data. There will be functions announced about what it's gonna do, soon.