Greene County Plantation Home Search

SarahFair

One of my lines (Tuggle) hails from Union Point in Greene County..
They came from Virginia around 1790.

My 6x great grandfather had a plantation home which I can narrow down the location through several sources, but mainly the family cemetery on the corner of Jacksonville Rd and Bethesda Church Rd.

The house was briefly mentioned in a book published in 1936, "Preface to peasantry: a tale of two black belt counties" by Arthur Franklin Raper.
According to Raper the house was still standing and over a century old at that point in time..

Screenshot_20231227_171110.jpg

I talked to a few Greene County residents a few years ago over the internet and if my memory serves me correctly someone told me the house was moved to another county.

The Google satellite/street view shows a newer house on the property next to the cemetery, but to my untrained eye I do not see where a former foundation to a house would have been, but understand it could be long erased.

I'm looking for anyone that might have knowledge, information, or can point me in a direction of research..

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I know it can seem daunting, but try to find LIDAR imagery of the area. If there's a house foundation there, it will likely show up on LIDAR.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sara, some counties have old plat information. I have never done this sort of research but if you can find an old plat of the place there might be landmarks on it that would give hints as to the location. Really old ones sometimes had houses depicted on the plat. Most had neighboring landowners listed and roads marked.

SarahFair

Sara, some counties have old plat information. I have never done this sort of research but if you can find an old plat of the place there might be landmarks on it that would give hints as to the location. Really old ones sometimes had houses depicted on the plat. Most had neighboring landowners listed and roads marked.
I've tried this route for years, the problem is, where they live the county lines changed right about the time they moved here and I'm not sure if I need to be searching in Wilkes or Greene.

Greene and Wilkes County has their historic plats online locked up.
I've called the counties to ask which county the original plat may be in and they said they didn't know and I haven't had time for a field trip to their court houses.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I live next county over from Greene County (Putnam) The man that delivered our mail growing up was a Tuggle. If you have a picture of the old house I could see if there one and the same. It’s an old home and the only one I know of tied to the Tuggle name.

SarahFair

I live next county over from Greene County (Putnam) The man that delivered our mail growing up was a Tuggle. If you have a picture of the old house I could see if there one and the same. It’s an old home and the only one I know of tied to the Tuggle name.
I dont have a picture, thats what I'm on the hunt for

westcobbdog

A visit to the Ga Archives on the Southside of Atl may be in order, with a focus on the correct county name from that period of time. Greene County could have been called Washington County for instance 2 hundred years ago.

doublebarrel

Sarah i am 82 and i remember a large colonial style house on left side of Hwy 44 that was just before Jacksonville Road i believe it is gone now.Bud Tuggle deceased lived on Temperace Bell Road about 1/2 mile before you get to where the old house stood sorry that is all i know Bobby.

SarahFair

Sarah i am 82 and i remember a large colonial style house on left side of Hwy 44 that was just before Jacksonville Road i believe it is gone now.Bud Tuggle deceased lived on Temperace Bell Road about 1/2 mile before you get to where the old house stood sorry that is all i know Bobby.
I looked him up, he's related to me from way back.

Our lines split where William Tuggle above had William Lee Tuggle, Sr
Whom had William Lee Tuggle, Jr. (Buds line) and Pickney Jackson Tuggle (my line).

William Lee Jr was the oldest of Sr, Pickney was the youngest, and theres a litter between.

Jr., as the times were, received most of everything at Sr's death, but he was already independently wealthy, had tons of land that I believed conjoined his fathers or was just down the road from his fathers, and a large house of his own.

Pickney never had the success Jr did, he was much more of an entrepreneur, which lead to his father and older brother having to bail him out of his debts more than once.
After the war he picked up and moved away, eventually landing in Atlanta.
His findagrave said he did NOT want to be buried in the William Tuggle Plantation Cemetery (which William Tuggle it was, I'm not sure :huh: ), so he is buried in Oakland Cemetery.

So I know there were more than a few larger Tuggle homes right around that area.