ground meat from processor

sb1010

If you get ground meat from a processor, why would some of it be frozen solid, while other packets are almost thawed. It seems like it would all get ground the same time if it its from the same deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would suspect that some processors mix trim from several deer, grind it all at once, then divvy it up.

HavocLover

Lots of factors IMO.

How quick did you pick the deer up after the processors notification? Did it even have enough time to sit in their freezer and get 100% of it frozen?

How long was the car ride home?

What packages weren’t frozen? The ones on the top of the box/sack/whatever it was sitting in?

sb1010

How quick did you pick the deer up after the processors notification? Did it even have enough time to sit in their freezer and get 100% of it frozen?

How long was the car ride home?

I picked it up 20 hours after notification, car ride was 45 minutes in a cooler with ice.
I don't know whether they were on the bottom or top of the freezer or cooler.

Blackston

It hadn’t got frozen through yet picked one up the same way … 5 hrs after notification

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Like this brother. Lol. We done several at one time
That's great if you know when and how the deer were killed and handled. If you took care of yours, then it gets mixed in with somebody else's who gutshot it and left it laying out in the woods overnight to start rotting, then hauled it around half the day ungutted showing it off before taking it to the processor, not so much.

I always do my own.

deermaster13

That's great if you know when and how the deer were killed and handled. If you took care of yours, then it gets mixed in with somebody else's who gutshot it and left it laying out in the woods overnight to start rotting, then hauled it around half the day ungutted showing it off before taking it to the processor, not so much.

I always do my own.
Yep that's why we always do ours ourselves. Good to know what you have and I enjoy passing it on to my kids. We spent almost a whole day with family processing everyone's deer. 6 of us and we put up 300 pounds of ground and 50 pounds of cubed.

TurkeyBluff

BANNED, Again
Nothing grosser than not knowing what deer I am getting back. I'm envisioning that does I saw a few weeks ago with blow all over it being put into my burger. lol gross.

sportsman94

If you stack them up in a freezer the top and bottom might freeze, but the middle won’t. I put 8-10 packs of burger in ours the other day and my wife went to get some out a day or two later. I told her not to get it off the top. First pack she grabbed was frozen solid, next one was not. I’d say it’s normally whether you do it yourself or take it somewhere

leroy

If you stack them up in a freezer the top and bottom might freeze, but the middle won’t. I put 8-10 packs of burger in ours the other day and my wife went to get some out a day or two later. I told her not to get it off the top. First pack she grabbed was frozen solid, next one was not. I’d say it’s normally whether you do it yourself or take it somewhere
Seems like the processor would know this, dosent the meat need to be quick frozen to keep it from goung through a heat and spoiling?

sportsman94

As long as the meat is chilled before going in the bag and getting stacked I don’t know how it would go into a heat. To me it would be more like putting stuff in a fridge that eventually freezes. I’m not sure how his processor works, but I can’t imagine it being efficient to have each persons meat sprawled out all over the freezer trying to get an even freeze of every package. I’ve personally never had a problem stacking mine in a freezer and it taking a couple days to freeze solid

Shadow11

I've seen that a few times, where some were a bit squishy on the out side b4 I put it in the freezer. I've never thought much about it. I just assumed it thawed slightly on the way home, but you said you had it in ice on the way home. I've never done that. Usually just put in floor board.

Sounds like either they mixed it all up and divided, like some said, or possibly they passed what was left of your deer down the line to the next person, and they didn't get to that particular cut of meat until later. Then ground what was left of that last.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
This

Latest posts