Half Clover Plot

rshunter

I have a plot that I plant in oats and Abruzzi rye every fall. I do not plant a spring plot. I do have volunteer white clover in spots and after reading some of the clover plot threads I decided to overseed some Durana into my fall plot in December. The Durana came up well in some places and I would hardly call it a clover plot. I had surgery in late February and yesterday was my first chance to get back down and see the results. My questions are should I bushhog and wait or spray and then bushhog ? Based on pics, when I do spray, which chemical would you suggest?

The plot is about 1.5 acres and I know the pictures are not great from my phone but the one close up is an example of a clover patch edge with weeds. Grasses seem to be the competition on the lower level and all kinds of tall weeds from dog fennel to everything else.

Thank you much for the help!20210728_112733.jpg20210728_112729.jpg20210728_112722.jpg20210728_112722.jpg

Gut_Pile

This late in the summer, I would just wait on bush hogging until you are ready to re plant for the fall. The dog days are here and those weeds/grasses are helping keep moisture in your soil.

rshunter

I guess then I would try the throw and mow method for planting my fall oats and rye? Never tried that. I've plowed around the clover spot previously but now there is more of it. I'm just worried with the throw and mow it won't look like this.20201107_172456.jpg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'd throw a 1/2 rate of more Durana and 8 pounds per acre of a medium red clover and 40 pounds per acre of wheat and then mow. If you can spray with clethodim first, that would be great!

Canuck5

..... In early October

Canuck5

Fertilize with 200 pounds per acre of 0-20-20 or anything with a low first number, in late September

Gut_Pile

It might not end up looking that pretty, but the deer don't care. They want the food and nutrients that come with it. Magazine cover food plots mean way more to us than the wildlife that uses them

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's a nice plot. I like the size and layout.

I'll preface all of my advice with the fact that there are many other members on GON who have much more experience and knowledge of food plot establishment and maintenance than I do. Some of whom have already commented in this thread.

That said, if it were my plot I would be inclined to strike a blow to those weeds as soon weather conditions and time allow. I can't tell from the photos but it seems likely on a plot that large you probably have some perennial weeds of both the broadleaf and grass type. Some of these could include bermuda grass, horsenettle and various sedges. If allowed to go unchecked into the fall it stands to reason they're going to come out even stronger and be more numerous next spring and summer.

Also, if your Durana is still green and growing at this stage of the summer that means you've had very adequate rains so far. If that continues or possibly even increases, then the existing clover could certainly realize some benefit from less weed competition.

That was the case for my Durana field last year after generous August showers had it green, lush and mostly weed free heading into September.

So my suggestion would be to consider getting after those weeds now. I use the herbicide IMOX which has shown good results on both grassy and broadleaf weeds for me personally. It's also quite safe to use on clover. One drawback with it is that it can only be used twice a year on given plot, per the label, other than spot spraying. I switch to clethodim for grasses after the IMOX uses for the year are done.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck with your plot!

Ihunt

It might not end up looking that pretty, but the deer don't care. They want the food and nutrients that come with it. Magazine cover food plots mean way more to us than the wildlife that uses them
But we need our likes when we post them here. Can’t be having weedy food plot pictures

doomtrpr_z71

You'd be better off mowing, then spray you aren't going kill the big stuff anyway this time of the year, imox isn't an option due to plant back restrictions with oats and rye. Clethodim for the grass, 24db for the broadleaf weeds, best options if your going to overseed with rye and oats.