Help- Snake ID??

Benito

Hey Folks- This little guy was on the stairs leading to our front door (we’re in Birmingham, AL). Very small- probably about 12-14 inches, but has triangular “Venomous-looking” head, and was aggressive- shaking his bright green tail like a Rattlesnake would. Any ideas on what type of snake it is? Been here 5 years, n ver seen anything like it here….

Attachments

• 0D4D3052-32F3-4A2F-8796-012E3568B49C.png
    0D4D3052-32F3-4A2F-8796-012E3568B49C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 338
  • 435773DE-C956-4BDC-ACDF-9294CF136C4C.png
    435773DE-C956-4BDC-ACDF-9294CF136C4C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 331
  • 1267D209-9DD2-4D24-B542-CFE072C83C3C.jpeg
    1267D209-9DD2-4D24-B542-CFE072C83C3C.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 281

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
baby copperhead.

the only snake I know of that has that greenish yellow tail

Benito

Thanks folks….Just looked up pics online of baby Copperheads, looks exactly the same. Scary to find one on our front door, knowing that Mama is around here somewhere

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, juvie copperhead. They will bite you quicker than a grown one.

GA1dad

Not what I want to find on my front steps. Imagine coming out of the house and stepping on one while going down the stairs,,,,, bad day indeed.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Do you have pine straw around that walkway?

marshallknight

Keep an eye out for it`s littermates for a while. There`s liable to be 16 or 10 or so in the general vicinity.

Yep. Ran over one with the lawnmower once in our yard. Ended up removing 3 more before it was all said and done. Had me real nervous about walking outside at night for a while.

little rascal

Would not be good to walk out there in the morning barefooted! I keep hearing baby vipers are more lethal than adults. They can’t control their venom. Keep an eye out.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Especially venomous. I understand they are born with all the venom they are ever going to have and dilute it for greater quantities as they get bigger.
I had a friend once get a dime sized bite on his middle finger from one less than a foot long. He almost lost his whole arm.

Procraft3

Hey Folks- This little guy was on the stairs leading to our front door (we’re in Birmingham, AL). Very small- probably about 12-14 inches, but has triangular “Venomous-looking” head, and was aggressive- shaking his bright green tail like a Rattlesnake would. Any ideas on what type of snake it is? Been here 5 years, n ver seen anything like it here….
Only two types of snakes to me. The ones that move and the ones that don’t. I prefer the ones that don’t.

chriswkbrd

I keep hearing baby vipers are more lethal than adults. They can’t control their venom. Keep an eye out.

Especially venomous. I understand they are born with all the venom they are ever going to have and dilute it for greater quantities as they get bigger.
I had a friend once get a dime sized bite on his middle finger from one less than a foot long. He almost lost his whole arm.

Please stop with the; I hear, I heard, I understand, etc. and just research it. This myth is my biggest pet peeve...

This is just one of the many sites that will explain it to you. Read #2: https://www.livescience.com/50583-snake-facts.html

chriswkbrd

I stand corrected, there is an exception and that is it!!!:bounce:

1eyefishing

Please stop with the; I hear, I heard, I understand, etc. and just research it. This myth is my biggest pet peeve...

This is just one of the many sites that will explain it to you. Read #2: https://www.livescience.com/50583-snake-facts.html
Thanks for the link. Sucks to believe what you are told.
Still saw with my own eyes the dude's arm that looked like a rotten banana from a bite with the diameter @ 1/2 an inch. Doctors were ready to amputate it when he turned the corner. 3 weeks in the hospital.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Medical folks told us that if you apply a tourniquet chances are good you will lose that limb. As they stated, the best snakebite kit is your truck keys and cell phone.

1eyefishing

Medical folks told us that if you apply a tourniquet chances are good you will lose that limb. As they stated, the best snakebite kit is your truck keys and cell phone.
I can no longer believe what I'm told. Gotta research that… :p

chriswkbrd

Still saw with my own eyes the dude's arm that looked like a rotten banana from a bite with the diameter @ 1/2 an inch. Doctors were ready to amputate it when he turned the corner. 3 weeks in the hospital.

I don't doubt that one bit. A bite from a venomous snake is no joke. Unless you're luckily enough to get a dry bite, which would still hurt and could get infected. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m glad my first thought was right! I’ve never seen one but that is one beauty of a snake!

Latest posts