Help with 4 wheeler

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a Honda 125 and it won't crank. It turns over, there is gas and the plug fires. I know enough to get that far. Help me from there. What could it be?.

Same thing with my Yamaha 350 Big Bear.

I drained the gas and reserve in the Honda and put in new gas and it still won't crank. I had put gas in last Saturday from the same container. It was clean and dry and I go the station, get gas(name brand) and come home and put it in and one is running and quits and won;t crank and the other does the same. I figure the gas (BP) is bad but who knows. It was premium.

Its almost enough to make the Preacher want to cuss. :bounce: ::huh:

Jim Ammons

Take the spark plug out, spray the plug hole with WD 40, put plug back in try cranking and see what happens. This will work a lot of times, just make sure you plug has a hot spark.

Ga-Spur

Did you let it sit for a while with out cranking it and without running the gas out of the carb. ? The gas could have dried up in the jets of the Carb. Usually have to take it off and clean it out if that is what happen. You could spray a lot of carb. cleaner in it and let it sit and spray some more ;but we usually have to remove the carb. and clean it before it will crank.

CAL

Funny,I just had the same thing with a Kaiw.220 this afternoon!Plug fired fine,plenty of gas.I puchased a new plug and it cranked right up. :yeah:

one_shot_no_mor

I'll give it a shot...

Pull off the air breather so you can see in the carb "throat".
Crank it over and look for gas spraying into the carb. ::gone:
If not, your fuel filter is clogged or the jets are clogged...
Change the filter (or take it out) and/or clean the carb. ;)
If gas looks like it is spraying in OK, the next thing I would check is the intake neck from the carb to the head. :clap:
the two little bolts holding it (at either end) sometimes vibrate loose and "suck air" and it won't crank. ::huh: ::huh:
It that doesn't work, we'll try something else!!! :fine: :fine: :cool:

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks guys.

I have tried soem and will try the others as weather and time permits. Any more ideas.

stumpman

Banned
Spark plugs could be bad ive seen plugs thay will get fire when you look at it but wont run the engine try that first and them get some carb cleaner and take the mixture screw out and spray down the hole with the straw on the can and clean out the carb maybe this will help.

Handgunner

I had the same problem with my Yamaha Grizzly 600... The motor would turn fine, but nothing. Drained the fuel, changed filters, etc.. etc... Nothing.

Took it to the Yamaha shop and the "Spader" box had went out. That's the box that makes everything fire.

I hope that's not what your problem is, and that's a pretty expensive box... Mine was around $200+ If I remember correctly.

Hope yours is a cheap fix.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
It was the plug in both of them. Went to autozone with the old plugs, cross referenced and came up with same plug. Came home put them in and fired right off.

Thanks to all who responded.

Buckbuster

Hilton, good to here is was just the plug. Odd that it happened to both 4 wheelers at the same time. Might be a good idea to have an extra plug in that little tool box behind the seat.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Buckbuster said:
Hilton, good to here is was just the plug. Odd that it happened to both 4 wheelers at the same time. Might be a good idea to have an extra plug in that little tool box behind the seat.

I thought it very odd also, unless the gas would not fire with old plugs. What is so odd is that one was running and quit and 10 minutes later the other one does same thing.

I am still learning on these 4 wheeler thingies. :yeah:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Hilti,

That's why I believe the problem is fuel flow related.

You poured gas out of the same container into two different machines with the same results.

I'd say you had some foriegn matter in the fuel.

frankwright

After my Yamaha Big Bear sat for a couple of months it got hard to start and also bucked and backfired when giving it gas. I replaced the plug and it would cure it for a while and it would happen again. I fought it for a month. I had drained the gas tank and the little filter screen in the tank looked clean.

I finally pulled the carb apart. Washed and blew compressed air through every jet and orifice. The carb looked completely clean and there was no debris in the float chamber either.
I put it back together,took it to the gas station and filled it up and also installed a lawnmower inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb. It has worked perfect for two seasons now.

There must have been some really tiny dirt in the gas can I had used to fill the ATV. I will never fill it from a can again. The new plug must have given it enough fire to burn the nasty fuel but as soon as the plug was used just a little it would let the problem come back which had me blaming fire instead of fuel the whole time.

stumpman

Banned
A little water in your gas will foul the plug and make it run bad or not at all if it starts up again with the new plugs there might be water in the carb and tanks hope its cured for good.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
frankwright said:
After my Yamaha Big Bear sat for a couple of months it got hard to start and also bucked and backfired when giving it gas. I replaced the plug and it would cure it for a while and it would happen again. I fought it for a month. I had drained the gas tank and the little filter screen in the tank looked clean.

I finally pulled the carb apart. Washed and blew compressed air through every jet and orifice. The carb looked completely clean and there was no debris in the float chamber either.
I put it back together,took it to the gas station and filled it up and also installed a lawnmower inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb. It has worked perfect for two seasons now.

There must have been some really tiny dirt in the gas can I had used to fill the ATV. I will never fill it from a can again. The new plug must have given it enough fire to burn the nasty fuel but as soon as the plug was used just a little it would let the problem come back which had me blaming fire instead of fuel the whole time.

I did the take apart and clean back in summer when my son left the gas on and it all ran through and out the drain plug.
What fuel filter did you buy. I have been thinking of amse thing, but did not know what to go buy.

frankwright

I went to Advance Auto parts. I took a small piece of fuel hose and matched it up to an inline fuel filter that was made for a lawn mower. It slipped in the hose and I secured it with two little plastic locking Ty-Wraps. They told me an auto filter would not work well due to the low fuel flow of the ATV.

Any lawnmower shop or maybe even WalMart might have one. I bought a disposable plastic one for about $3.50. It is clear plastic and you can see at a glance if it has fuel or trash in it.