Help with getting a gator head mount.

treadwell

I found looking way back in the forum the names of two taxidermist, Trails End and Fortner'. I'm real sure they do great work, but they are way out of my league. I was hoping to get a skull mount attached to a tanned hide for the wall. It doesn't have to be on a fancy plaque or soft tanned. Any suggestions? 9'3' 265 #s

Toliver

I found looking way back in the forum the names of two taxidermist, Trails End and Fortner'. I'm real sure they do great work, but they are way out of my league. I was hoping to get a skull mount attached to a tanned hide for the wall. It doesn't have to be on a fancy plaque or soft tanned. Any suggestions? 9'3' 265 #s
By out of your league, do you mean price?

The guy who had the permit when we got our first one in 2017 had just the head mounted. If I remember correctly it was around $550. He had it done at Crane's in Acworth. They did a good job with it.

If we get one this year, I'd like to do a rug with head attached and I fear that's going to be several thousand. I guess I should look into that.

I think my skull from the 10 footer I got in Florida cost me around $350 in 2016.

Toliver

So I left my gator at Southern Rivers in Bainbridge. They had a finished one that looked really good. Their other work in the shop was nice. I ended up doing a European on the head at another place. The skin was $150 a foot. He called it 8 feet without the head so $1,200 for a product I can hang on the wall.

When you received the hide back was it attached to a board or a rack that you can mount to the wall or did they just give you back the hide that you have to mount. all so did they skin it out or did you skin it out for that price

Toliver

When you received the hide back was it attached to a board or a rack that you can mount to the wall or did they just give you back the hide that you have to mount. all so did they skin it out or did you skin it out for that price
I haven't gotten it back yet. But to answer your questions, the finished one at the shop was not mounted on anything. I don't know what process they use but it keeps the gator's natural colors. It was semi rigid so it was not tanned in the traditional sense that makes it soft and flexible for making products. So I will just be hanging it directly on the wall probably with some clips to avoid damaging it with holes.

As far as skinning it, that was done by the processor when he cut up all the meat. The processor is also a taxidermist and he'll be doing my skull for me.

Toliver

Just picked mine up. We originally had him skinned for making products but decided to do a rug. It's reverse from what most folks do but I like the way this turned out.

20230926_123853.jpg