*Hey Granddaddy - we finally got that Buck*

Cletus T.

Good morning GON hunters – it’s been a while since I really posted much on GON but this right here deserves a post and a small write up. I was able to get my son’s mount back last week from his 9-pointer that he killed last Sept. The mount turned out beautiful and is going to look great in his house. So I use to post about Hunter Jack all the time when he was a little boy and all of our hunting adventures and fishing adventures and that little boy has grown up into a fine young man. Some of yall old timers on here probably remember seeing pictures of him as a little lad. He’ll be graduating from Athens Clarke County Fire Academy in two weeks, and we couldn’t be more proud of him and the path he’s taking. Now to his deer story…….
So I grew up on Hillside Farm which was a great place to grow up as a kid. We lived back in the woods off a dirt road, and we had pastures and fishing ponds and trails, and it was just a great place to grow up as a kid. Just like a lot of places Gwinnett Co. started growing and growing and a lot of the land that use to be full of trees is now a Kroger or a parking lot or a strip mall and it’s really sad to see but that’s just the way the world turns, so we don’t have the land we use to have but we still have a small tract that we can hunt with a bow and arrow and even though there is a concrete jungle all around us we have a nice little patch of woods that holds deer year round.

My Granddaddy passed away in April of 2020 and he lived at Hillside Farm up until he passed, and I would always go and sit with him and talk to him about my hunts during Deer Season and sadly I was never ever to seal the deal on a Big Buck out there even though I had so many close calls. He once told me that I had to be the unluckiest deer hunter he’d ever known. LOL. But I knew one day it was going to happen and I had all these ideas of what the pictures would look like and where I would take the pictures and how awesome they would turn out but like I said it just never lined up for me. Fast forward to last year and my son Hunter Jack goes out there and pops a 9-pointer right off the bat – like it was nothing. Ole Hunter Jack has got “it” when it comes to hunting. First time bow hunting and he pops a good Hillside Farm Buck – like it’s nothing while I’m over here struggling to lay one down.

So here are the pictures that I was hoping to have taken of me and a Hillside Farm Buck - it’s just my son Hunter Jack with the buck and not me. Granddaddy would be so proud of him, and he always loved to get his picture taken with your deer or your fish – he was funny that way. He never told people that he killed it or caught it – he told people that it was his grandsons or his great-grandsons or whatever, but it always made people laugh – which he was good at too.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post and have a great day everybody!
We’re getting awful close to Deer Season!!

Cletus
7EF8DB74-D2A4-4B96-9F36-49F55498E46E (1).JPG
IMG_4258.jpg
IMG_4263.jpgIMG_4261.jpgIMG_4217.jpg

Cletus T.

Great stuff!!
Ya'll related to Lester Buice that preached at Rehoboth Baptist for years?

Not that I know of, from my understanding – the Buice Family tree branch we’re from is around the Forsyth – Buford / Sugar Hill / Suwanee area

But I know there we’re a lot of Buice’s around Georgia

Thanks for checking out the post

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Pretty awesome deer and story!! Congrats!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Great story and it's good to see you back on here Cletus. :rockon:

buckpasser

Awesome!