Hey Realtors

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Not a realtor. But they should be able to charge whatever commission they want.
I believe they should be able to charge whatever commission gets negotiated between them and the seller. That way it's a two way street, not a one way. ;)

jdgator

Over the years I have purchased a several single family homes without a realtor. Twice I had to politely inform listing agents that I was aware of their shenanigans. One of those times I walked away after discretely informing the homeowner that their agent killed the deal. Now I only consider properties which are either FSBO or I make unsolicited offers on unlisted properties.

jdgator

Over the years I have purchased a several single family homes without a realtor. Twice I had to politely inform listing agents that I was aware of their shenanigans. One of those times I walked away after discretely informing the homeowner that their agent killed the deal. Now I only consider properties which are either FSBO or I make unsolicited offers on unlisted properties.

I suppose I should add that for the first few homes I bought and later sold I used a realtor and that I would recommend that all first time homebuyers use a realtor.

westcobbdog

Agreed. We are considering selling our home due to circumstances. The upstairs carpet is in bad shape. My wife said we might as well go ahead and replace the carpet. I said why spend $3,000? We should pay $200-300 to clean the carpet and when the buyer brings up the carpet, and they will, we offer a flooring allowance. We don't know what kind of flooring they might prefer, or color, and that way the buyer can get exactly what they want.

Now we will fix broken or damaged things.

I think that is the correct approach, right?
Few factors play into it but I would mostly ignore the carpet, that's cosmetic. If the buyer has an agent they will likely ask for some closing cost contribution from seller in lieu of new carpet. Lenders don't really go for carpet allowances written into contracts anymore.
Also, if buyer doesn't ask for a carpet allowance or some closing costs up front, its too late to do it in the inspection window because it's not structural but cosmetic.

westcobbdog

Sorry you had a bad experience. Not all agents are like that. It's not about them.

westcobbdog

I suppose I should add that for the first few homes I bought and later sold I used a realtor and that I would recommend that all first time homebuyers use a realtor.
True, I am abit biased with with what I have seen and learned in 29 years, if a buyer isn't well versed in contract law, inspections, appraisals, lending, wire fraud ect best let an agent rep your interests.

westcobbdog

Yep. It's going to create the wild wild west (not this but kinda what created the '09 crash). I am selling next spring and am starting the process of getting the digs whipped into shape. Lawd what you dont see daily when you have lived in a house for 17 years.

What do I make 'look good' now or do I offer up a payout for minor repairs?

How does this help me.. I think that I know. :bounce:
Better invite me over for a look see.
Many times I advise sellers not to change something but sometimes do advise it depending on item, situation, the market, ect..