Homemade Goulash

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We did a trial run on a green house with speckled butter beans, butter peas, snap beans, pole beans and zipper peas. We canned 37 quarts and 10 pints off the first picking.

All the extra beans from each end up being Goulash. Probably not what Goulash really is but it’s what we call it. This pot has pole beans, butter peas, green beans, speckled butter beans, zipper peas, one bag of 15 bean soup, homemade sausage (deer, pork, beef and lamb ground together) Vidalia onion, green onion, tomatoes, crushed red pepper and smoke pig tail. It will be canned for some cold winter nights.

Everything except the deer, onions, crushed red pepper and the bag of 15 bean soup and the white potatoes that are in a few jars and the salt was grown right here. The deer might can count as being grown here, it was killed here ?14326828-D2D0-464A-B06C-08850B8C8B1C.jpegC872F607-C1BA-49D9-A4AF-CA67BE35EE6F.jpegF71D4C66-E4E5-43F1-BD4F-A00E689996CC.jpeg5AF4CBF0-7B33-44CC-8960-55F927A6731D.jpeg

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Look great and I’d say the deer is home grown too...like seeing your homesteading success!
Thanks! This is something I want to pass down to my Grandkids so they’re not 100% grocery store / supply chain dependent. My kids tell me I can get it cheaper than I can raise it but I’m not doing it for the savings. And I am raising it cheaper than I can buy it. Not at first but I can now.

Give it about two more generations - between a closed grocery store and a straight shift truck……..kids going to be helpless.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I bet that’s some kinda good ! And you are so right about our next generation . I try my best, nothing like you , to stay out of the grocery store also . I don’t raise any of my meat but catch or kill at least 90% of it . I do can and freeze enough vegetables to last all year , and really enjoy it . Did you grow all that this year already ? If so what area are you from . I’m in west ga and would think it gets to cold to be successful in a green house

Latest posts