Hooch Whites and Hybrids - 3-23-23

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It's been a minute since I've thrown up a report, so I thought I'd hop on and give an update to the spawning run. The last two weeks have been frustrating. We've had just enough rain to mess with the water clarity and cold weather that dropped the water temps 12-15 degrees. We've caught fish every trip, but there has been no pattern at all until this week.

Last Thursday I did have a really good evening on cut shad. The water had a perfect stain and I got on some super nice hybrids from the time I got on the water until it got dark. All of these fish came on the lower end of the river from Brush Creek to Ringer. I may have already mentioned it, but the average size of hybrid this year in phenomenal. There are tons of 4-5 lb fish and I've weighed a couple in the 7-8 lb class.

The last 5 days have seen a big push of white bass. The water got super low and clean and the whites have been ripe for the picking. There aren't many fish in the Franklin area, but the numbers get better and better as you head down stream. I was stopping on random areas that looked good and just about every spot had fish. They aren't really picky on lures, but do seem to want something on the smaller side.

The water has been dropped back to winter pool, so please use extreme caution running around. The ramp in Franklin is a little challenging right now. Your trailer will be very uneven to get enough water to unload and load. If you don't have side bunks or poles, you may have trouble loading.

Goatman70

I may have to put on some new line with 7-8lbs hybrids! Nice fish

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Some fat daddies! I am gonna head that way tomorrow am and see how things go. Works been off the chart when it's not raining.... Need some therapy time.

Big7

The Oracle
Good eating tight there !!

JROESEL

Breaking that new rig in nicely, guys be very very careful, it’s is low, the gauge at Franklin was showing 11’, looks like it might have risen a tad, but it’s definitely still dangerous, there are poles marking the sand bars from ringer to 219 now, thanks to a very kind fisherman, who went and spent his money and time putting them up, you can’t help but see them, there’s probably 6 or 8 in front of ringer, and they even have reflective tape on them

ryork

I managed to get in and out of the ramp in Franklin yesterday without any issues, but it is very low for sure. Great report as always!

dang

DANG !!!
Anyone here fish the SBC this weekend on West Point?
Wish I knew about it ahead of time. I plan to next year if it comes back to West Point. I don’t have Facebook so it’s tough to keep up with events like that sometimes unless it ends up on here. Based on the weigh in pictures it looked like a great time!

Liquid nails

Good deal. It goes to a good charity anyways if you were not in the money. I’ve been to the last 2 weigh ins on Hartwell past couple of years. My fishing partner has talked me into doing it next year. Can’t wait. Sometimes I think it’s better not to prefish.