House Bill 869 - A Win for Ga's Blue Catfish?

Sultan of Slime

After reading Bust a Hawgs thread about this bill I decided to peruse it myself.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/display/20112012/HB/869

It states in section 3 that all fish except Flatheads and Channels have to be caught on rod and reel unless they fall into the fish that are able to be caught on trot lines, jugs and set lines.

Then if you read down to section 12 it defines a trotline and gives the same exemption to the blue catfish and making only flatheads and channels legal by this method.

If this is true our blue catfish fishery will be a major boost to the state in a few years:flag:

Read it for yourself and tell me what you think?

SECTION 3.
52 Said title is further amended by revising subsections (a) and (b) of Code Section 27-4-5,
53 relating to methods of fishing generally, as follows:
54 "(a) It shall be unlawful to fish for game fish, except American shad, hickory shad,
55 flathead catfish, and channel catfish, by any means other than a pole and line.
Except as
56 otherwise provided, it shall be unlawful to take any fish in the fresh waters of this state by
57 any method other than a pole and line, sport trotlines in accordance with Code Section
58 27-4-32, set hooks, jugs, bow and arrow in accordance with Code Section 27-4-34, spears
59 in accordance with Code Section 27-4-33, bow nets as provided in Code Section 27-4-35,
60 seines in accordance with Code Section 27-4-6, by hand in accordance with Code Section
12 LC 40 0036
H. B. 869
- 3 -
61 27-4-37, and as authorized in Code Section 27-4-91 with regard to commercial fresh-water
62 fishing.
63 (b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Code section, dip nets and cast nets may be used
64 to take for bait threadfin shad, blueback herring, and gizzard shad for bait, and other
65 nongame fish

226 SECTION 12.
227 Said title is further amended by revising Code Section 27-4-91, relating to lawful commercial
228 fresh-water fishing devices generally, as follows:
229 "27-4-91.
230 (a) Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, it shall be unlawful for any person
231 engaged in commercial fresh-water fishing in this state to use any gear other than trotlines,
12 LC 40 0036
H. B. 869
- 8 -
232 baskets in accordance with Code Section 27-4-92, turtle traps, or shad nets in accordance
233 with Code Section 27-4-71, and sturgeon nets, to which have been attached a tag bearing
234 the name, address, and commercial fishing license number of the person using any such
235 gear.
236 (b) For purposes of subsection (a) of this Code section, 'trotlines' means one line which has
237 more than 50 hooks in any combination or a combination of lines with more than 50 hooks
238 in use by one person. The lines must be marked with visible buoys and must be attended
239 regularly and removed after the completed fishing trip. The lines must be submerged at
240 least three feet below the surface of the water. It shall be unlawful to keep any game fish,
241 except flathead catfish, channel catfish, American shad, and hickory shad, taken with such
242 lines.
243 (c) For purposes of subsection (a) of this Code section, turtle traps must be constructed of
244 netting and shaped as hoop nets. The traps must also have one open muzzle or throat at
245 least 32 inches wide with a ring ten inches in diameter made into the rear of the trap to
246 permit fish to escape. Notwithstanding any other provision to the contrary, it shall be
247 unlawful to use such traps in the Chattahoochee River and its impoundments lying between
248 Georgia and Alabama. It shall also be unlawful to retain any game fish taken in such traps
249 in any of the waters of this state.
250 (d) For purposes of subsection (a) of this Code section, 'sturgeon nets' means a single net
251 or webbing of mesh of not less than six inches on the square, provided that such nets must
252 be situated so as to allow one-third of the stream width to remain open and free for the
253 passage of fish. Such nets may not be used except between January 15 and July 1 of each
254 year. It shall be unlawful to retain any game fish taken in such nets."

krazywayne

it is a lil sketchy to me Sultan, says trotlines are defined as a single line with more than 50 hooks, I was under the influence that a trotline could have up to 49 hooks and if it had 50 you are required to have commercial license? if you could clarify a lil more this law for me please. I just dont wanna get in trouble and it is a lil unclear to me...?????

krazywayne

I would agree with it if all trotlines were included but if it requires 50 or more hooks to be a trotline, what law would regulate someone from setting say... 5 lines with 9 hooks on each? still under 50 hooks and can keep blues..... I would love to see some blue regs on jugs and trotlines to produce some monster in our fisheries

j_seph

I say limit the you know what out of em just as TN, AL, and others and others. Bout time some slime gets some desired and much needed attention

Sultan of Slime

I say limit the you know what out of em just as TN, AL, and others and others. Bout time some slime gets some desired and much needed attention

I am right there with you I hate having to drive to a neighboring state and give them all my $$ to fish for what we have right here if they would regulate them some!

jerseycat9

I'm liking the sounds of the new law. Remember the name jerseycat stands for jerseycatfisherman lol I stick to stripers these days cause it's the biggest hollar for my dollar but if we had a substantial bluecat fishery I would gladly split time between the two!!!

j_seph

I'm liking the sounds of the new law. Remember the name jerseycat stands for jerseycatfisherman lol I stick to stripers these days cause it's the biggest hollar for my dollar but if we had a substantial bluecat fishery I would gladly split time between the two!!!
We've caught several 30's in LL

krazywayne

some regs would be great to increase the quality of the fisheries... I love what I am seeing as for the population of blues... I just caught my pb 31lber this last week, this year is looking good so far!

jerseycat9

Have yall found any sizable fish south of browns bridge?? I've given it a half hearted effort for flatheads last summer but I just wasn't confident there is any size this far south on the lake yet.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Down in the last stretch of the Oconee, just above the forks of the rivers, when I was growin` up, every year there would be a couple of 40 plus pound blues caught.

LureheadEd

I'm still confused... I don't remember a listing for blue cats in any rules and regs ever, I've been reading them since the early '70's...
I am for some additional regs on all cats, I just don't see where it should matter that the blues could only be kept if caught with a rod and reel... Seems to me that there are PLENTY of huge blues caught every year, just getting better as people realize the big ones taste like slimey rubbery goo... Now, overfishing for cats on some lakes is maybe taking it's toll, but I believe that's a numbers problem... JMHO.....

greg_n_clayton

nybody got a picture of a blue catfish ?? Sorry :offtopic: Don't know if I have ever seen one or just didn't notice or pay any attention !!.

B

breampole

new catfish regs

What has been quoted regarding trotline regulations refers to commercial fishermen (section 12) The use of trotlines, set hooks etc by sport fishermen is regulated by Section 3 specifically 27-4-32 and 34 which is not quoted.

doodleflop

9d9617d3.jpg

:biggrin2::stir:

Sultan of Slime

Still seems to me that some folks are just trying to protect their business of guiding others and chances for large fish while fishing in tournaments.

Well if I had been lobbying for this bill for a year I could prob see your point. But since today was the first that I have heard of it I guess things arent what they seem.

But as a catfisherman do we not have the right to ask for regulations that will help us enjoy great fishing in the future. This place would go slap crazy if it was legal to catch LM and Stripes on jugs and trotlines.

Cricket Chunker

After reading Bust a Hawgs thread about this bill I decided to peruse it myself.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/display/20112012/HB/869

It states in section 3 that all fish except Flatheads and Channels have to be caught on rod and reel unless they fall into the fish that are able to be caught on trot lines, jugs and set lines.

Then if you read down to section 12 it defines a trotline and gives the same exemption to the blue catfish and making only flatheads and channels legal by this method.

If this is true our blue catfish fishery will be a major boost to the state in a few years:flag:

Read it for yourself and tell me what you think?

Actually the answer is in the 2012 GA fishing regulations. Go to the definitions on page 10 of the PDF below. Look at the definition of "Game Fish" and "Non-Game Fish". Then turn to the chart on page 15.

Notice something missing? Yep, blue catfish. That makes them a "non-game fish" and that is why they are not listed in the sections you quoted. I never understood why blue's were not included as game fish but flathead and channel cats were.

If you have an old fishing regulations book, look in there also. I'm pretty sure blue's have been missing from the wording for a long time (if not forever).

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/fishing/pdfs/regulations/Georgia_Fishing_Regulations.pdf