How close are your deer stands?

habersham hammer

As far as distance goes, how close are your stands if you have 2 in the same area? Like do you have a different one to hunt for the wind direction but can still see the other one?

buckpasser

As far as distance goes, how close are your stands if you have 2 in the same area? Like do you have a different one to hunt for the wind direction but can still see the other one?

None of my personal ones or those at work are in sight of one another. Just trying to cover a separate “system” of deer with each. If wind is wrong we just go elsewhere. The family farm in IL has 5 in one big field and everyone can see each other. I’ve watched fire come out of my FIL’s barrel on a big buck and watched a kid kill a big one a couple years ago. It’s pretty fun seeing it play out!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Since I'm a small property hunter on 15 acres, I have two in the back no more than 200 yards apart that I hunt depending on the wind and one spot 300 yards away towards the front of the property.

Jim Boyd

I have many that are 200 yards or less

Some that are 100 yards

Many can see each other.

Several that are 30 yards / in particular a shooting house with an archery ladder about 20 yards away.

In SC and in IL.

Different stands for different purposes.

Tight Lines

I have many that are 200 yards or less

Some that are 100 yards

Many can see each other.

Several that are 30 yards / in particular a shooting house with an archery ladder about 20 yards away.

In SC and in IL.

Different stands for different purposes.
Yes I should have said, this is pretty much all rifle...200 yards...if I was setting up for archery, can obviously be much less...

Havana Dude

8 stands on 40 acres. In recent years, most hunted was 3. Occasionally 2, but mostly just me. It’s a unique property that allows such.

earlthegoat2

Nearly all of my stands are about 100 yds from another stand.

The hunting is different from each one but it is usually just different perspective, different wind, and ambushing the same deer from a different location with a different set up.

slow motion

There's a thick section of hardwood bottom and the transition into it where I hunt. This particular area is probably less than 10 acres. Just guessing because it's just a part of the property I lease in Ga. There are 5 stands there. Just me so distance for safety isn't an issue. I move depending on wind or sometimes just a whim. I'll offer this advice. Deer will figure out where you are hunting. Be as scent free as you like but they live there. They move through day and night. Moving 40 or so yards can make a huge difference.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have 3 stands on an 80 yard wide powerline right of way spaced at about 150 yards apart. They overlook some of the same areas but there are elevation changes that would prevent one or two stands from covering all the good crossings and there are still a spot or two where deer have pretty good cover most of the way across. I have a stand on a creek juncture that is within 50 yards of one of the powerline stands but they are hunted at different times for different reasons.

Taco4x4

I have been known to have two stands as much as 20 to 30 yards apart. If I am hunting out of my lock on and get busted by a doe sometimes she will remember that I was there and next time I set there she comes in looking for me in that tree. When this happens I bring my climber and move a couple trees over and watch the same doe come in and see that I am not there flick that tail saying all is good and I just set there smiling. I love this huntin stuff.

specialk

far enuff no one can hear me snore!.......my dad and i had 2 about 150yds apart on a gasline, but there was a slight bend in the ROW so we couldnt see each other but could see some of the same real estate....

sghoghunter

On one of my spots I have three different stands within I’d say an 8 acre area. One is a tripod on the right side walking in that’s looking down three thinned pine lanes that looks kinda like a turkey foot. The middle one is on the left walking in past the other that’s over looking a thinned pine hill and two wood edges. The last one is maybe 60 yds past the one on the left down on a creek bottom. All three could be hunted at the same time and may see same deer and may not but definitely won’t see each other

Doc_Holliday23

50 acres of planted pines and I have 11 stands. So some are within 75 yards or so but only two of them can see each other. Typically no more than 3 hunted at a time, 4 every now and then. If there are 4 of us, safety factors limit which stands can be hunted. But also I could safely hunt 8 or 9 of them at the same time if needed.

Ihunt

Yes, I am one that hangs stands for different wind directions. Many places, I’ll have stands within 30-40 yards of each other.

ucfireman

the 2 spots I routinely hunt are probably 200+ yards as the crow flies and 300+ walking. The barn is right between them and I sometimes sit there.
Im the only one hunting my land so I dont care how close they are.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
6 stands on 40 acres, no more than two occupied at any given time. 4 on another 100 acre tract. Fairly spread out.