How Intellectual is Atheism?

JOHNNY GREYWOLF

That's the quandry humans find themselves in here on Earth. There is little open and available proof of how we came to be, why we are here, what we are supposed to do other than to exist and where we are going.

Some need a strong answer to their question of why.
So, for some, religion fills the void and answers hard questions with simplistic reasoning. Faith in something "greater" or a "higher meaning" to life.

Others take what they learn and try to work within it, constantly seeking to learn more and explore the world around them through science and reasoning. Questioning everything and seeking answers to the tough questions.

The choice is purely individual, but is greatly influenced by where you were born or where you find yourself today.

Good post overall, but I take issue with you're implication that all faith is based on "simplistic" reasoning. You udercut the effect of you're position with that.

WTM45

Good post overall, but I take issue with you're implication that all faith is based on "simplistic" reasoning. You udercut the effect of you're position with that.

We've delved deeply into faith in some other threads of late.
"Simplistic" was the wrong word choice on my part. It is far from simple, as the Bible and other holy books that require belief in a deity makes having faith complicated just within interpretation and doctrine.

Faith in a creator is the easier of the choices, unless that faith is put to the test and questioned. And, not all faith is weak, not all is strong. But faith gets in the way of investigation more often than any other thing, as investigation threatens to overrule it with logic and a desire for proofs and evidence.

JOHNNY GREYWOLF

We've delved deeply into faith in some other threads of late.
"Simplistic" was the wrong word choice on my part. It is far from simple, as the Bible and other holy books that require belief in a deity makes having faith complicated just within interpretation and doctrine.

Faith in a creator is the easier of the choices, unless that faith is put to the test and questioned. And, not all faith is weak, not all is strong. But faith gets in the way of investigation more often than any other thing, as investigation threatens to overrule it with logic and a desire for proofs and evidence.

Weak faith maybe, strong faith like true courage wishes to be tested.

JOHNNY GREYWOLF

:rofl:

Careful what you wish for! Testing of one's faith can be a difficult and dangerous experience!

WELCOME TO THE CAMPFIRE, Johnny Greywolf!

It has been, a number of times, I did not arrive at my faith the easy way.. Thanks for the welcome

T

ToLog

welcome, J. Greywolf. we're beginning to get quite a collection of hogs, wolfs, one or two Dawgs or more, :D , and others, maybe even some rabbits of one kind or another. :clap:

anyways, it's good to have some fresh meat on board. sorry, :offtopic:

as to the Wiccans, isn't that a man-made religion of sorts? :huh:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

Let me just say this, atheist believe the same scientist who use to claim that if you left fresh meat out for more than 48hours, it would begin turning into worms.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
A frog crawled out from a swamp(a swamp that could not exist) and thru evolution, I now have an oak tree in my front yard.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ambush80

Let me just say this, atheist believe the same scientist who use to claim that if you left fresh meat out for more than 48hours, it would begin turning into worms.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
:rofl::rofl:

They also claimed that it was invisible "bugs" causing people to get sick. They were laughed out of town. In days passed they were called heretics and persecuted by the church for committing blasphemy (remember all that Earth around the Sun business?).

The point is that they continue to ask "why". They don't just stop at "because God says so". They're not always right, but they keep looking. There are still scientists scrutinizing the Theory of Evolution, though they use it as the best explanation that we have at present to describe a natural process.

There are no scientists that would say "If it's good enough for Darwin, it's good enough for me!" (Sounds like a hymn, doesn't it?)

reformedpastor

Here is another example of poor scholarship. Please point to an official position that the Church had a doctrine that the earth was flat?

JOHNNY GREYWOLF

as to the Wiccans, isn't that a man-made religion of sorts? :huh:[/QUOTE]

In manner of speaking I suppose, but some of their theories have some basis in how things work