How much is entry level work in your industry and area

sinclair1

If you drive to Savannah a packer in shipping can make $23 on an off shift with no skills.1st shift $20-$21
Some ex co workers say Atlanta is not quite that high?

What are they paying in you area?

I have a feeling it’s going to get wild when Hyundai and some others start trying to lure people.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you drive to Savannah a packer in shipping can make $23 on an off shift with no skills.1st shift $20-$21
Some ex co workers say Atlanta is not quite that high?

What are they paying in you area?

I have a feeling it’s going to get wild when Hyundai and some others start trying to lure people.
$10. Your figures are upper level management here. And real estate is 2x as expensive here as there. A solid, really good middle management job is in the $50k range.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
In Gwinnett County, we can't pick up Hispanic fellers from the gas station for less than $20/hr usually. Seems it was closer to $12/hr just a few years ago. And that's just to do basic warehouse tasks.

ugajay

Kaolin industry middle Georgia I think it's $17-18/hr. Qualifications are clean tee tee and breathing. And they can't find help

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
In the Atlanta area a laborer can start out at 20.00 an hour. I've got a few on my crew right now. I also hire temp agency laborers that we pay 28 to 30 dollars an hour to their companies. We're in the commercial, industrial mechanical/plumbing field.

earlthegoat2

Entry level these days is 5 yrs experience in that exact industry and position. Makes finding a new job pretty hard even when you have a decade or so of accomplished experience under your belt.

More seriously, in my specific industry, $20/hr is starting but you have to some mechanical experience. Any mechanical, nothing specific.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Rock quarries are paying $21-25/hrs entry level depending on job and shift. Just hired 2 night shift maintenance kids, minimal experience, at around $25 I think.

ETA, I think that's pretty standard these days across most of the state and the range of companies. They prefer some experience of some kind but will hire inexperienced sometimes.

Toliver

The gas station near my house is hiring for $17 an hour.

kayaksteve

In the power distribution industry $17-25 seems to be the standard-no experience starting rate in my area but, it depends on a lot of things like what kind of job? contracting? working for a power company? Co-op? Do you have a CDL? Or tech school apprentice certificate? Are you just looking to get a foot in the door like janitorial, warehousing, customer service or going straight to the line crew? How bad does the company need help? A lot of factors.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Probie Certified fireman with 8 weeks of training hires on at $45,000 a year.
Picker repair dude that can show up and knows what a 1/2 inch ratchet is starts at $15.00/hr. Much better ladder to climb working on pickers than firefighting, money wise anyway.
Overall $12-$20 an hour starting pay across the board in our area.

Redbow

Hmmm, some people are making very good money some not as much as I made when I retired from the RR. Locomotive mechanics were being paid over 18 bucks per hour in 2000 when I retired. I have no idea what the RR pays a mechanic now days, 23 years later. And RR retirement income is a heap better than SS.

BeerThirty

We have a meatpacking plant here in Newnan, I saw a sign a while back that I belive said $26-29/hr + benefits. I'm assuming that was targeting entry-level production workers.

BeerThirty

From what I've seen that what Buc-ees is starting a janitor at, plus 2 weeks paid vacation and other benefits.
Lots of upside in retail, too. That janitor could very well be a store manager in 10-15 years pulling in over $150k if their store hits goals.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Aircraft mechanics make about $30-35 ph to start. A seasoned mechanic with a large company will make 80-100 K annually.

BassRaider

My wife & I retired in '09. She went back as a consultant thru a temp agency and was paid $39hr. They wanted to rehire her at previous pay and she turned it down and also gave up the temp job :(.