Hunting after Timber Harvested

KingTiger

They started harvesting the pines on the 900 acre lease we have in Hancock County. I tried on 10/14/06 but there was no sign any where - they weren't cutting that day but the trucks & equipment were still there. Any idea when the deer come back after they finally quit cutting? They're not touching the hardwoods in the creek bottoms. I hope my whole season isn't ruined!

BKA

Banned
You're season is not ruined. I've had some good luck a few years ago when part of our property was clear cut. The deer came right back in after they finished. No need to worry.

stev

Banned
Deer are curious creatures of new ground tore up.They will be back soon to check out the new fresh dirt .

chambers270

I agree, I love to hunt new clearcuts! Unless it is public land then it gets crowded. I have killed alot of deer on 1st year clearcuts, and you can see a deer moving along ways off.

Chris

LittleBigDoe12

Ive seen a buck walk right beside a loging truck that was put there 4 or 5 days before, so you should be good.

meriwether john

They started harvesting the pines on the 900 acre lease we have in Hancock County. I tried on 10/14/06 but there was no sign any where - they weren't cutting that day but the trucks & equipment were still there. Any idea when the deer come back after they finally quit cutting? They're not touching the hardwoods in the creek bottoms. I hope my whole season isn't ruined!

we are fortunate we have 13 different ages(at least) of pines. creates a lot of edge and sanctuary. our deer never really move out while cutting goes on. usually the loggers bump them out every day going in and quite often see them while the hydrax is running. almost seems the deer are dodging falling trees. a fresh select cut or clearcut is not at it's best until a growing season occurs after a cut. turkey season should be awesome this year. deer season next year will be fantastic. this year isn't ruined by any means though. people mistakenly believe deer are woodland creatures--I disagree they adapt to most any habitat but fields and "edge" type property is their favorite IMO. a thick cutover often is overrun in whitetails especially bucks seem to prefer it.

Blue Iron

Banned
The biggest deer I have ever seen in the wild was standing in the logging ramp about 10 minutes after the loggers had left the woods. My granddad is a forester and we were going to check and see the progress the loggers had made that day on this tract of land, we pull around a little curve in the road to the ramp and there he is a HUGE 10 point, a 6 point and about 5 does. Also the biggest buck I've ever killed was on a 15 acre clear cut that was finished 2 days before I shot him. I love hunting freshly cut woods. Think about it, deer are so used to timber cutting, it has become a natural process for them. The best cover scent I believe is chainsaw gas on your boots!

Jody Hawk

They are thinning our Morgan County property right now as well. Seeing plenty of deer. I hunted last Saturday morning and saw 19. That fresh cut is full of deer activity, tracks everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

Jason280

They cut our propertyly last year, and actually started the second week of November. We saw plenty of deer, but no real decent bucks. However, this year has been excellent for us. I have seen more bucks this year than I ever have on the lease, and we have really taken some good bucks. The deer will still use the clearcuts, so don't give up hope!