Hunting Divers

jerry russell

With a recent post by Larry Young, my in-box and cell phone have caught fire, lol. Folks are fired up about hunting divers and are wanting info on how to be successful. Many have tried unsuccessfully for a couple of years and are frustrated. Well, a few years back I was in the same boat.

I don't post on this forum very often because of the wild west format that most ever thread takes but since there is a lot of interest I will offer a little advice to see if I can help those that care to read this. If you don't agree with the advice I am offering here, please just move on down the line to another thread. This is about helping out other duck hunters.

First let me say that hunting salt divers in BIG water bays (4-8 miles across and 10-20 miles long is difficult to learn and a LOT of hard work. Learning to work tides, winds, find duck food, mastering longline techniques are just the beginning. If you are working from scratch, expect the learning curve to be a few years and get ready to spend some money on quality gear. Make that a LOT of money.

Right now there are a lot of Reds down in Florida and Alabama and many have said that they are having little success with them on really big water. When pressed they tell me that they are running 2-4 dozen decoys. I would begin with this suggestion- When you are attempting to pull down massive flocks of divers, you need to have spreads as large as possible. When we have the luxury of unlimited space in my boat (hunting only 3-4 guys) I like to run 140 decoys and I would run more if I have the time to get them out. Remember, when you see these groups of divers at 10am they are looking for a chance to raft after having fed up. 100 birds will most often not be interested in a tiny spread of 50 decoys.

Long lining is THE only option when running these massive spreads. We can take up 140 decoys in under 10 minutes while standing in one place beside the boat. Equally important is how your spread looks from the air when it is deployed on a longline. It shows proper spacing and structure. This is a big deal.

Spreads cant be just deployed and left out all day without consideration of changing conditions. Big water hunting requires changes to your spread as winds vary. Get lazy with this and you might as well pack up and go home.

Diver like there own kind. We runs multi-species in our spreads but they are segregated. It is awesome to see a bluebill and redhead flock come in together and watch them split at the spread at the last minute. It makes shooting a bit of a challenge as they break up at the landing.

Get a boat that is big enough to get the job done safely or consider a guide. I run a BIG duck boat. More like a tank on the water and at 4am in that black rough water, even I feel a little small when the waves are pushing 3'-4'. Remember, a mishap in that cold dark water at 4AM will be a very bad thing and rescue will most likely not make it in time. That 14/48 boat that works fine on a Georgia lake may not be suited for this line of work. It might even get you killed. I tend to get pretty serious with this advice because I see some crazy folks out there every year. I just don't want to see someone drown over a duck.

Learn how to work tides and then learn what areas can be hunted at certain time on certain tides. Most areas I hunt would require high tides to access with traditional boats/outboards. We run tunnels boats with jack plates. If I did not have this set up I would not hunt these areas. It would be a crazy mess. When you scout, scout on a low tide. Access distances can be limited by a half mile or more with tidal changes. This is a depressing thing to find out at 4 in the morning.

Set your decoys at shooting distances. Know your maximum range and don't exceed this to reduce wounding birds. Open water can fool you. Shoot larger shot than you normally do (I like 1's) and get after cripples with a second shot the micro second there head comes up. Failure to do this will result in a lost bird.

Dogs- Think very hard about taking a dog in this environment. Hunting 8-12 hours is tough on dogs that are not in shape. The salt is hard on them too. LOOOONNNGGG retrieves in high winds and water can end badly for your dog. Don't let your ego kill your dog. If it is out of reach for him to safely get the bird and get back, go get the boat. BE very careful letting them chase a cripple. A wounded diver will tease a dog out of whistle and voice range is a second. Make them drink water to counter the impact of the salt and know that having them with you will limit where you can hunt. Oyster flats/points will murder your dogs feet. DO NOT let a dogs near these areas unless you are willing to run across there barefooted first. It is horrible what these shells do to dogs. Watch out for gators every single second and don't even think about putting a dog in those tidal creeks where the gators can hide. It is just not worth the risk.

Take a gun cleaning kit and use it ever single night. Salt will kill your gun. My son can break a gun down to springs and screws in seconds. He can do this because he has done it hundreds of times. I don't think I would take a gun in salt that was not dipped but that is just me.

Always be prepared for the worst case scenario when hunting in these remote areas. I am talking lost cell phone/ boat stranded by tide/ broken leg stuff. It is miles and miles of walking through nasty marshes if something goes wrong and you cant call for help. Just be ready for anything.

Lastly, hunt with honor. If you get beat there by another boat move on... way on. Moving a 1/2 mile on this big water and sky is a slap in the face to another hunter. I try to keep a 3 mile separation at a minimum. Under certain conditions I go much farther. It is the code.

I have been at this diver thing for a long time and I love it more than any other type of duck hunting. This advice is a tiny drop in the bucket as far as what you will need to learn on the way to getting good at it. That is ok though. Enjoy mastering it.
I hope this has be helpful. Good luck and hunt safe.

Last edited:

jerry russell

While not our most professional video production, here is a little video that can help with understanding the basics of long lining.

Flaustin1

Weve did pretty good on the big lakes this year thanks to some advice you gave me a couple years back. Thanks. Great post.

This the best post i have seen on this forum in years. If more folks had the ability to take hunting this serious while at the same time showing that level of respect for not only other hunter but the elements. if your not afraid of the body of water that u are hunting whether its a bay or a river then u are in BIG trouble. Watched those videos last season and got a lot from them. Thanks for the advice Jerry!! Hope u had a great season and finish strong.

kingfish

Great post. I've used the tips and tactics in the videos myself, I think south of where Mr. Russell hunts. Although the hunter traffic was up a little over last year, I made 4 hunts on the gulf and never had another hunter within a mile of me. If I can offer a couple of my own tips:
Learn the effect of the wind on the tides.
Understand negative low tides
Fish your duck hunt area at dead low tide to figure out where you can and can't go.
Learn where you can and can't get out of your boat.
Kingfish

vowell462

This is funny. On my way home tonight from Arkansas I thought of writing a post like this on mastering out of state public land. Like you, I don't post often either. I will do so after I sleep for about 12 hours. Standing in timber for five days straight can wear you out! Great post Mr Russell. Well written. Thomas V.

Larry Young Jr

Jerry is right. Do your home work. Salt water diver hunting is not like hunting lakes, rivers, etc. and not for small boats. Be prepared for anything. The first time we went, we study tides charts, the weather, and everything else you can think of. We got down there and did some riding around, scouted and found a spot that looked good. The next morning we got to the spot and the tide was out and we about kill our self getting our decoys out. Saltwater mud will wear you out. We got our decoys out and had a good shoot. But When the birds stop flying and we got hungry we were going get everything up and go to waffle house pig out. What we thought was low tide was wrong and the Mother ship was on dry land and was like that for next 8 hours. Thank GOD no one was hurt or any other kind of emergencies came up. Plus we had plan for the worst and we had a lot of water and some snacks. Plus I had just made a bunch Goose Jerky, I think we ate it all that day. That was our lesson on tides.

Weather on the saltwater is very important!!! Watch weather report helps a lot to prepare for your hunt. But again prepare for the worst. Have dry gear or away of getting dry and staying warm or cool. We have seen it go from clam winds to 45 MPH in span of a hour. 3 to 5 ft seas. Heavy rain , high winds, lighting, etc. Lows in teens and Highs in the 70's. (A note if the temp goes from 39 in the morning to 0ver 50 and sunny. Make sure you have some skin so soft spray. The warm temp brings out what they call sand flies and the will drive you crazy and their bite hurts.)

We have taken Jerry's dog ROCKO down to the saltwater. But taken a dog limits your hunting area. Reason is the shells they will cut a dog paw all to pieces. Plus you have to watch them all the time. You have to watch out for gators, wild pigs, snakes, sand flies will drive a dog mad. Plus you have to watch out for sharks. Yes Sharks. The saltwater bays have warmer water in Dec. and Jan. A lot of mullet, redfish and other bait. Sharks come into the bay to eat. A good friend of my, that lives down there hunted with Jerry and I one day. We were 100's of yards from shore shooting at Buffies, when I saw a dolphin and I told him what I saw. He said lets go to shore if there is dolphins in the bay, there is sharks. If you take a dog do like Jerry said, Watch it like a hawk and take it a lot of water and some food.

Like Jerry said about boats, Little boats are not good in the saltwater. The Mother ship Is a big boat, But we been caught in some bad weather where, I wished we had a bigger boat.

I see more respect saltwater hunting when you get to spot first. So far every group that has got there after us, has kept going on to next spot and that is out site of us. If we can see them it just their spot lights and they are miles away. We have done the same thing when we got beat.

Salt water diver hunting is a adventure in itself. Be prepare, Be Safe and be respectful to others.

Good Luck
Larry

TireKicker

Banned
One of the biggest tips I can give for salt water that I haven't seen addressed, is shuffle your feet. Don't just walk around like you normaly do in water. Slide them across the bottom.
That is because of stingrays. If you kick them up, they will swim off, but if you step on them, you're going to have a bad day.

MudDucker

Staff member
Great tips, I will add three comments:

1) When on saltwater, think in terms that Murphy was an optimist.
2) Get a VHF radio. Cell coverage can be very spotty.
3) Seatow is a good investment.

X 2x2 good post

jerry russell

I like where this is going. Positive responses and good information from a wide range of sources. Ok here are some more tips.... Break down your boxes of shell into small packs of 8 and seal in zip locks. Mark them so you know which ones have been opened so that you only open them as needed. Exposure to salt spray and even air will ruin shells that you don't use.

I also like to keep two or three T shot in a zip lock in the wader pocket for use on long range cripples.

Learn to clean your gun. I mean REALLY clean it. I am talking all the way down to breaking down the trigger group. Salt and sand are going to get in there and can shut down a gun short term and really hurt it long term. Youtube is your friend with videos on this. Failing this, get a son like mine or a buddy like Larry Y. That are awesome at it, lol.

jerry russell

Great points here. I would add that your VHF Should be linked to your GPS (Hummingbird or Lowrance unit) when possible so that others will know exactly where you are in an emergency, even when you don't.

Last edited:

grouper throat

Get yourself a saltwater pump gun and plenty of 3" #2s. We always did really good on the gulf honestly bc there is very little competition. Nice variety there too but the gulf is a little easier than the Atlantic. I've always heard. We never got out of the boat either.

kingfish

Although I agree that the open water style of big diver is a large boat game, there are opportunities for the small boat guy. Right now I'm using a canoe and gheenoe to do all my gulf duck hunting. Stop and think, from Naples to Pensacola, the gulf is nothing but feeder creeks and points. It takes an awful lot of work to find places to put in and access the open gulf paddling a canoe, but there are plenty of them. I use Google Earth to find the creeks and points, then go scout using my canoe. If there are rocks and shell bars, I stick with the canoe. If not, I'll use my gheenoe. My decoy spread is quite a bit smaller than the norm. One or two strings of magnum redhead and bluebill decoys a dozen per string and then a half dozen well painted bufflehead decoys. Plus I can get out and hunt off of sturdy land. All I'm trying to do is catch birds trading back and forth, or catch a group from one of those giant flights coming in. Redheads will roost up in tidal creeks, and big flights of blue and greenwing teal are no stranger to tidal creeks either. Plus, depending on the location, I can throw a rod or two out and try to catch a redfish, while duck hunting.
My goal is to post a picture of a limit of redheads and limit of redfish. The ultimate cast and blast !!

grouper throat

Yep you're right. We shot down several green wings this weekend and I know they all had to be coming off the gulf as close as we were. Where we use to hunt the buffleheads were a given to fly by and decoyed the easiest.