Hunting out of a tree you've planted?

Pilgrim

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had the opportunity to hunt out of a tree that you planted years ago. I've got a few sawtooth oaks that I planted over a decade ago, and I'm hoping to get to hang in one sometime in the next few years. If you've got em, please share pics from when you planted - and current pics of the stand in the tree!

DocBar

It’s funny you brought this up. I planted a stand of longleaf when I graduated college in 2001. I’ve been babying them ever since and finally had to thin them this year. While I was doing that, I was thinking that it won’t be long before I can get a climbing stand up one. I suspect there aren’t too many people who kill a deer out of a tree they planted.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I've never hunted out of them but there's a pile of longleaf pines and a good many swamp chestnut oaks that I've planted over the years that are aplenty big enough.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Yes, kinda but not really planted.

Just avoided a few red oaks since Bush hogging around a bunch of sappling for 20 years.

I now call one "the killing tree"

Jim Boyd

I have not and that troubles me.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I haven’t though of it like this.
I have a stand of loblolly that I planted in February of 2000. Many are large enough to either climb or support a ladder stand. We hunt the tract from a box stand and a ladder on a large volunteer sweetgum. Maybe I should put up a ladder on one of the pines.

Jimmypop

Here's a tree I planted 51 years ago that's had a lot of deer hanging under it, but I've never climbed up in it and shot one. But I could have if I had wanted to many times. I have just always shot'um from the ground and then hung'um . It seems to work better for me that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_085328 (1).jpg
    IMG_20151024_085328 (1).jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 41

earlthegoat2

I am probably in a better than average position to make this happen but it still won’t happen for many years yet because we didn’t plant the right trees.

30 years ago, I was 10. That year my family planted over 5000 trees on the 60 acres the folks had bought.

There were a thousand each of blue spruce, scot pine, red maple, red oak, and black walnut. There was already a few thousand frasier firs as well. My parents still live there and I still hunt there.

None of those trees are fit to hunt out of yet. Maybe not for another 20 years even. Someone mentioned a “killing tree”. Those walnut and oak groves are “killing fields”. Deer and squirrels. Squirrels LOVE walnuts. However, it took even squirrels 20 years to start eating off them. Not quite the same thing as the OP is asking about but the net result is similar.

That was in MI but if we lived down here I’m sure some loblolly or long leaf pines would have been planted and I could have been hunting out of those easily by now.

Gaswamp

Here's a tree I planted 51 years ago that's had a lot of deer hanging under it, but I've never climbed up in it and shot one. But I could have if I had wanted to many times. I have just always shot'um from the ground and then hung'um . It seems to work better for me that way.
that is an impressive and beautiful tree