I Finally Conquered Brunswick Stew

treemanjohn

Banned
I've been fighting this monster for a few decades. I needed to think like a simple hungry man with a bunch of leftovers and whatever I can scratch up to make a meal. I got the best of it. I never use a recipe. I always cook by taste, but I'll share the ingredients. Nothing from a can

Garlic
Rub
Vinegar
Cumin
Wooshershire
Salt
Black pepper
A little cayenne
Corn
Tomatoes
BBQ sauce. I always make my own, but instead I added ketchup, vinegar, rub, and cumin.

1st make my own chicken stock with leftover smoked chicken. Water, salt, black pepper, heaping spoon of garlic, and my top secret dry rub(sorry can't share it)
Screenshot_20220618-160453_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220618-160433_Gallery.jpg
2nd I cooked the broth for 1 hour in the instant pot. As mom use to say until a thigh bone would easily crack. I strained the broth and picked the chicken free of skin and bones and removed the cooked onions. Back into the pot.

3rd. I didn't have any smoked pork. Very rare for me. I punted and coated some pork steaks with my top secret rub and built a fire. Cooked them med rare and cut them up, added 4 chipped fresh maters, 1/2 chopped onion, and back on the heat for only 10 minutes . One magically disappeared before it hit the stew
Screenshot_20220618-195438_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220618-195453_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220618-195504_Gallery.jpg
4th of cut 4 white roshneers and added them raw to the hot soup. It cooked them perfectly. The kernels had a great crunch and fresh taste
Screenshot_20220618-195519_Gallery.jpg

I ate 2 bowls and 2 fit sized pieces of cornbread. Stuffed!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Looks good, man.

My momma used to make it sorta like you did there. There was no fixed recipe, and it never was exactly the same twice.

But there was ALWAYS a big pone of cornbread to go with it, sometimes with cracklin', or diced jalapenos.

And it was always good eats!

Thanks for a memory ....

treemanjohn

Banned
Looks good, man.

My momma used to make it sorta like you did there. There was no fixed recipe, and it never was exactly the same twice.

But there was ALWAYS a big pone of cornbread to go with it, sometimes with cracklin', or diced jalapenos.

And it was always good eats!

Thanks for a memory ....
You're very welcome. Food does a beautiful job of bringing back memories. My mother was a Blue Ridge GA mountain girl who grew up struggling. She could flat out cook and bake. We never owned a cookbook, measuring cup or spoon.

treemanjohn

Banned
That works. Appreciate the pics and description!
You're very welcome. I'm going to see how this sits overnight to see if it's a real winner. Next time I'll do some measuring to narrow it down for everyone. Hopefully it is repeatable.

My secret rub is always equal parts. Even when I cook a steak with salt and pepper it's always equal parts. Seems to balance very well. I started using powdered ginger about 20 years ago. I was very hesitant but wow what a difference

Food is fun and a challenge, but it's just about all really good in the end

Latest posts