I got the deal of the century today!

clayfish

So I went to one of the local pawn/gun shops today just to look around. I was in the market for a new shotgun. I asked the guy to show me an over and under. He pulled out a Browning citori. It was an older model that is in pretty good condition. The tag had $599 on it which is a decent price anyway. I tried to work the safety and it didn't work. I told the guy and he said "well we can't sell that one." That's when I had an idea. I told him to wait a minute that I'd make him an offer as it is. He told me I'd have to talk to the manager. The manager said I could make an offer but it's sold as is. I told him I'd give him $350 cash out of the door. He agreed and after less than an hour working on it at home, it's fixed. I can't believe I bought a browning citori for $350! It's a 1978 skeet model. The metal is in excellent shape and the wood has a few dings. I'd put it at 90%. Who's jealous?

Last edited:

clayfish

1b9fdb75.jpg[\IMG]

Attachments

• 1b9fdb75.jpg
    1b9fdb75.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 665

RNC

very nice deal on a great shotgun !

Gentleman4561

Make sure that safety works well. Try hitting the but on the ground with some force when the guns unloaded. You don't want to be the next Dick Cheney when your gun goes off unexpectedly.

clayfish

The safety connector had slipped. I took the trigger pins out and aligned everything and put it back together. I'm going to shoot it in a few minutes and make sure everything is good.

Wiskey_33

That isn't a jap model is it? Wasn't sure what year the japs started making them....

Updated...

All Citori models are Japanese. The Belgium made models are called something else.

Last edited:

Wiskey_33

Yeah cuz, you know, those japs can't manage putting something together...:rolleyes:

Not my point.:rolleyes:

It was either made in Belgium or in Japan.

Japanese models fetching more money than the Japanese models. Nothing wrong with that. My Dad's got one, and it's very nice.

But hey, I guess a Japanese Rolex is just as good as a Swiss, right?

AFter doing some research, it appears that all Citori models are Japanese.

Doc_Holliday23

The only O/U shotgun FN made for Browning was called the Superposed. All Citoris were/are made by Miroku in Japan, like Wiskey said. Anyone that tells you they have a Belgian Citori are either lying or they just don't know what they're talking about.

and to the OP, excellent find. Even if you'd have had to have it fixed by a 'smith, you'd have gotten a deal.

Last edited:

SmokyMtnSmoke

WTG MAN! I'm a bit green on your great deal. Good smithing it yourself too. Nothing like scoring a deal on an old treasure.

smokey30725

Wow. Kind of makes the brand new high point 9mm pistol I got for $100 out the door pale in comparison......

clayfish

I talked to the browning historian In Utah today. He couldn't believe the deal I got. He said it is a 1978 standard hunter and it's one heck of a solid gun. I'm still pumped and all my shooting friends are jealous.

harryrichdawg

Pawn shop deals are out there if you know what to look for and have the wherewithall and money to close the deal. My uncle once bought a Ruger M77 .270 that looked like it had been buried in the mud and dug up. He paid $250 for it with a scope. When he got it home, he disassembled it completely, cleaned every part down to the scope mount screws with a toothbrush, and reassembled it with a little oil. The next day, he traded it at another gun shop for another rifle with an asking price of $500 that he had been looking at, so basically, he got his new rifle for half price.

miles58

Banned yankee
I got one of those kind of deals from a major gun shop once.

I found a scope in a bunch of used scopes marked at $599 and I knew full well that the scope was selling for $2400 and this one had a set of rings on it that would go $80 themselves and it had elevation and windage turrets. The owner of the place was handling another customer at the register, so I asked him to come over when he got done. When he got there I asked him to tell me about the scope, which he did. I asked why it was priced where it was, and I asked if he knew what it was worth, and he said yes. I REALLY love that scope! Mike still can't figure out why he sold me that thing at that price.

Dave