I had forgot how much work it was to butcher a hog. Much less two.

leroy

We have a local place that markets and sells their own pork and it's very good. They will sell seasoning and casings (hank or fiber) to the public. It's Lords in Dexter, Georgia. They make a good sausage and will sell you a bag of seasoning that's enough to do 100 lbs of sausage for $9. You can't buy and mix your own seasoning for that.
I use their cracklins

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Make it, pack it, eat it. We love deer and hog sausage homemade. flatten the packs and they will freeze quick. Ya just can't beat good help

My kids have been helping me since they were big enough to walk. They really like it for some reason. It's almost a ritual for them to sword fight with the deer legs when I kill a deer. They will chase each other around the yard with the hoofs and terrorize the younger ones. I don't get it, but it sure is funny to watch.

little rascal

Get you up some Cajun buddies, and ya'll can call that a party next time!
Lotta hard work there especially on your own. But u have the satisfaction and the reward for a job well done every time you eat it, plus you know where it came from and who didn't handle it. Cool!!!

Reactions: Son

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
There is a big thread on the TX forum about Cutco knives. Those folks love them. Those things are high dollar.

I use Dexter knives. Cheap and sharp, just like me.
They are a bit pricey that's why he only has one. :bounce::bounce:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
After 2 weeks in the cure this is where the hams are now. The first pic is of the salt cured hams. They have been packed in salt and aromatic seasonings, taken out every week with the water drained off, turned and repacked with salt and seasonings. They are really starting to firm up. Have about another week before being rinsed, rested, smoked and wrapped.

The second pic is of the blackstrap molasses ham undergoing the same process. The hams themselves have taken on a caramel color with the ends of the ham almost black from the molasses.

I didn't get pictures of the bacon, hocks and neck/back bones after curing and before going into the smokehouse or even before packing. Completely forgot.

119068AA-F848-4BC9-A79F-EF0EAC9D4A51.jpeg8D4A338D-496D-4E21-BE34-9CBDABA89AD8.jpeg

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I love threads like these. Don't know how I missed this one.