I know they're there!

mishus

hi guys,

Ok I’ll be brief

I’ve revived hunting a small block, 30 acres. some high ground, over grown lower swamp/flood area. running stream.

access in and out isn’t the best for hunting.

I see deer print,

7 days ago. First time this season I put corn down, no deer on cam in the last week, over the last few years, a few in total.

I’ve put out corn (legal in my zone) on the ground, salt lick recently the liquid apple stuff, and nothing but coons, coons, coons and the occasional coyote.

The corn has sprouted on the ground. and smells, do I need a feeder to keep it fresh and keep deer more interested? We’ve had a lot of rain recently.

what am I doing wrong?
I’ve put in so much time and money, and never shot one, I did see one today a which is good that I spooked out of a bed!

A weird hole in the ground appeared about a 12"deep by 3" wide by 12 long, I assume deer eating the salt in the ground, almost fell into it.(no camera site last 8 months )

Any help ideas most appreciated, really struggling here. thank you.

swamp hunter

Can't hunt deer where they ain,t...

bullgator

Take up coon hunting til the deer get back.

SRShunter

If you have oak trees and acorns on that property. You will have deer come September till the end of the year! Sounds like you are trying to make it better. Keep putting out fresh shell corn or cob and they'll find it. Maybe try moving it around some too. Nice sandy spot always seems to work for me...bear ground anyhow.

MFOSTER

BANNED
The area where the swamp meets the high ground is a good place to start.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Where did you get the corn?
I put out a feeder in Jan. one year. Put a bag of Walmart corn in it. The deer wouldn't eat it. I'm not saying all Walmart corn is bad, I seem to have better luck with corn from Tractor supply.

HunterJoe24

They might not be touching the corn because there is other food in the woods that they prefer right now. Corn is a good backup food for them but they prefer a lot of other foods over corn

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
What's around your parcel? Figure out where they are coming from and going to. Bedding area, food source, etc. Set some cameras up in between, of find a natural funnel (or make one with some downed limbs/trees).

baddave

deer change w/ the seasons , change because the food sources change w / the seasons.. soon acorns will be falling , muscadines . dogwood berries .browse will be c hanging state they'll be much more active soon .. just keep an eye on it

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Corn isn't magic. Deer won't hardly eat it at all on my place in SC. Scout and find what the deer are feeding on, and where they're traveling, and hunt there instead of trying to bait them to where you want to hunt.

Deernut3

Sounds like there just aren't many deer around there. Put up a trail camera, that is the eye that never blinks.

mishus

an update,
checked the cam today, i saw turkeys, one deer and a hog. better than nothing.
still heaps of coons. **** near stepped on a monster black snake also. keep safe out there GEEZ!