Strange season

Ashmcc455

Has anyone had their herds just… disappear? My spots are private land with little to no hunting pressure. The last week I have gone from corn, food plots etc just being devoured, like digging into the ground devouring it, and 100+ pictures of 20+ deer at all hours to absolutely nothing. Not a single picture, not a single sighting and not touching any of the feed put out or the plots. I am in appling county, but I’m not the only one. My old club, my ex is still at, you saw 12+ bucks and 20+ does every sit no matter time of day or where in the season you were. Same thing happening there. Like the herds disappeared. Nothing on camera, plots and feed untouched. Strangest thing cause it’s never happened in all the years I’ve been hunting.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It does get tough late in the season . But to answer your question , no , I’m still seeing a few and they have my plots ate down pretty good . And will eat every kernel of corn I throw out . I’m on the opposite side of the state

sowega hunter

My sightings are definitely down from past years but we at still seeing deer on a regular basis. I have been more this year and not seen deer than in years past.

Ashmcc455

It does get tough late in the season . But to answer your question , no , I’m still seeing a few and they have my plots ate down pretty good . And will eat every kernel of corn I throw out . I’m on the opposite side of the state
I’m on day 3 at one spot of not a kernel of corn or feed being touched. Another spot has gone untouched so long that the corn is growing lol.

Ashmcc455

My sightings are definitely down from past years but we at still seeing deer on a regular basis. I have been more this year and not seen deer than in years past.
This is my first year hunting this spot, I used to be in Ben Hill county where my ex still hunts. So I’m not sure what it’s like normally. But I do know many neighbors have said the same thing, it’s like all the deer just *poof* are gone. It’s crazy to me.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Likewise, I'm in Troup County. I filled 2 feeders the week of Thanksgiving and have a decent plot growing considering the dry conditions we had. Went back 2 weeks later and the deer hadn't touched the corn or the plot. I did notice a good many willow oaks dropping and I believe water oaks drop late to as well. They may have something to do with it.

rstallings1979

I am having less activity on my green plots this time of year than in years past. A wet dreary afternoon and morning like the last 24 hours would usually have my green plots filled up with deer but the cameras are fairly quiet. I am not sure if there are still acorns or maybe the water oaks have been plentiful and they are in the bottoms. I do not have any cameras in my creek areas so that's possible. We were seeing 10 plus deer every sit up until about 12/5. Last weekend was pretty quiet and the weekend before showed little activity with the warmth as well. It is strange this time of year. My plots are jam up with plenty to eat but they aren't getting used much. The turkey are loving them.

Our deer here in south douglas county usually don't stick around our tract of land much after Thanksgiving. We usually just see them on travel routes between bedding and the neighbors fields. I hunt about 40 acres with no real food sources other than acorns and I don't bait. This year has been different though. They seem to be browsing in the hardwoods late in the season instead of hitting the neighbors fields.

Ashmcc455

I am having less activity on my green plots this time of year than in years past. A wet dreary afternoon and morning like the last 24 hours would usually have my green plots filled up with deer but the cameras are fairly quiet. I am not sure if there are still acorns or maybe the water oaks have been plentiful and they are in the bottoms. I do not have any cameras in my creek areas so that's possible. We were seeing 10 plus deer every sit up until about 12/5. Last weekend was pretty quiet and the weekend before showed little activity with the warmth as well. It is strange this time of year. My plots are jam up with plenty to eat but they aren't getting used much. The turkey are loving them.
See I am on travel spots between bedding areas and food and water sources. I haven’t even got them coming and going lately. And dang near my whole property is plentiful with acorns as well as other food sources.

Ashmcc455

Our deer here in south douglas county usually don't stick around our tract of land much after Thanksgiving. We usually just see them on travel routes between bedding and the neighbors fields. I hunt about 40 acres with no real food sources other than acorns and I don't bait. This year has been different though. They seem to be browsing in the hardwoods late in the season instead of hitting the neighbors fields.
I have a spot on the edge of the hardwoods that is their bed area and their main corridor from bedding to food and water. Still not much action at all and I am keeping all feed plentiful for them. It’s definitely been a different type of year.

Jim Boyd

Our deer pound the oats, clovers and brassica non stop - from the time we plant (last week of October basically) until the plots weed out in the spring.

I think they get tired of being sniped (our season starts with guns on 15 August so they have been shot - or shot at - for 4 1/2 months now) and they get tired of us being in and around the woods. They shift to nights some, I think - but they are not gonna say NO to a green field.

We have a great supply of mainly water and live oaks and they pound these til they are gone.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I had them back off of corn, not completely disappear, but over the last week they really hammered the brassicas, especially the turnips beets and radish, my place doesn't have a whole lot of pressure, but im not 100% sure what the neighbors do, other than get a nibble and keep going they didn't mess with the corn for a few days before this past cold snap. Seemingly back in full force the past day or so.