I make a few Powder horns

OkieHunter

I make very few powder horns but use only buffalo horn and do not use any modern tools to make them just files, broken glass, etc. here is the last one I made and I currently making a matching horn to carry balls in.

DSCN0396.jpg

Sorry about the size of the pic I forgot that I resized it for an avatar I will try and find the orig pic and repost it

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`d surely like to see a better pic of those!!

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Me too.

BoxCallWillie

Do you make them to sell ?
or a hobby...
ever make any powder measures
from deer antler ?

Be interested in both
BCW

OkieHunter

I make them for friends and myself, and Yes I have made powder measures from deer antler. Plus I only make them with Buffalo horn so my supply is kind of limited when it come to finding a large enough horn that is of good enough quality to make a powder horn from.

Sorry I forgot to take the pics this weekend but will try and get some posted tommorrow if possible.

OkieHunter

Had some family medical emergencies the last couple of day's so I could not get them. I have taken them and will get them off the camera this weekend I promise

OkieHunter

Here are some Pics, The horn has been used quite allot and I need to redo it some. I'm also working on a smaller matching horn as you will see it's kind of a work in progress. As you can see the horn needs some repolishing and a little cleaning. I plan on making the smaller horn to hold balls and plan on making the carrying straps out of beaded elk hide. Oh, I do have a matching buffalo horn powder measure somewhere.

Picture018.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture015-1.jpg

Sorry for the delay but sometimes the best plans go astray.

Last edited:

Nugefan

Did you turn the base plug yerself ....

OkieHunter

The base plug was done by had I cut the blank with a coping saw and then shaped it with files and chisels. I have allways shped my plugs to fit the horn and not heat the horn and make it fit the plug. It takes allot of time but I think the results are worth it.

dutchman

The base plug was done by had I cut the blank with a coping saw and then shaped it with files and chisels. I have allways shped my plugs to fit the horn and not heat the horn and make it fit the plug. It takes allot of time but I think the results are worth it.

I agree. It is certainly worth it! You do nice work.

OkieHunter

Well Thank you for the kind words. I do one ever so often mainly in the winter it kind of give me something to do when cabin fever set's in.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I tip my hat to you, because that is certainly some fine workmanship! Fine lookin` powderhorns!

OkieHunter

Thank you all for the kind words this is the first time I have ever posted pics of any of them. I just really enjoy making them and working with my hands.

choctawlb

Boy howdy ,
Em are shore some nice horns.:cool: Beautiful workmanship.
Ken