Id this weed

ucfireman

Have this everywhere. What is t and how to control?

Attachments

• 20180706_155628.jpg
    20180706_155628.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180706_155542.jpg
    20180706_155542.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180706_155501.jpg
    20180706_155501.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 56

GeorgeShu

Looks like nut grass to me, not sure of the variety. I think Basagran will kill yellow nut sedge/grass, usually takes at least two treatments. You will likely have more problems in the future.

ucfireman

That's what I thought also. I have another thread about how to kill it. My research says its the same as nut sedge so I would use "sedgehammer". My research also shows its basically the same as "chufa" that everyone likes for turkeys.
Am I mistaken?

doomtrpr_z71

That's not nutgrass its kyllinga, its still in the sedge family but its a spikesedge. Image would be more effective than sledgehammer. Chufa can be any of the Cyperus family, but tends to be yellow nutsedge unless its a higher end seed.

Forest Grump

He’s right, that’s kylinga, not nut sedge. I have a good bit of it in my yard too. It is generally much more competitive than our turf grasses, but unfortunately makes a poor lawn. Be sure to observe label recommendations; image can damage some lawn grasses & ornamentals.

Image 11.4 oz/acre
Injury will appear about two weeks after application, with complete desiccation developing within three to four weeks. Image is labeled for use in warm-season turfgrass only. Apply this herbicide only after turfgrass has completely greened-up in spring. Image controls several broadleaf weeds, sedges, kyllingas, cool-season grasses and seedling warm-season grasses. Add a non-ionic surfactant at 0.25% v/v to the spray solution.

Sedgehammer 1.3 oz/acre
Injury will appear about two weeks after application, with complete desiccation developing within three to four weeks. Sedgehammer is labeled for use on most cool- and warm- season turfgrass species grown in Tennessee. Sedgehammer is less effective on green and false-green kyllinga than Monument, Katana or Image. Add a non-ionic surfactant
at 0.25% v/v to the spray solution. Sedgehammer will not effectively control other grassy and broadleaf weeds.

across the river

Thats not kyllinga, that nutsedge. Kyllinga has a round seed head, that is more tightly packed.

In addition to the sledgehammer mentioned above, you can also look at Tenacity (mesotrione).

doomtrpr_z71

Thats not kyllinga, that nutsedge. Kyllinga has a round seed head, that is more tightly packed.

In addition to the sledgehammer mentioned above, you can also look at Tenacity (mesotrione).
1. That's a flower not a seed head
2. That's not what a nutsedge flower looks like, this isimages.jpeg
3. Tenacity is labeled for cool season grasses not warm

ucfireman

Not really, More like the sedge pics but 5-6 different varieties.
There may be some of that Johnson grass, I dont let it get that tall to see those seed heads.
Ill try to get other pics sometime.

across the river

1. That's a flower not a seed head
2. That's not what a nutsedge flower looks like, this isView attachment 935485
3. Tenacity is labeled for cool season grasses not warm

That is what nutsedge looks like at the end of the growing season not the beginning. Kyllinga and early stage Purple Nutsedge are in the links below, so look at that it you are interested. If he really wants to know he can pull it up by the root, but I still go with nutsedge. You might want to read up a little more on tenacity as it is used for both centipede and st. Augustine, which last time I checked were both warm season grasses. He didn't say where he had the weed, just that he had it, so I wasn't assuming this was in his manicured yard of zoysia considering it had already starting to head out. If he is trying to kill it, I was giving him another option. Regardless, I don't see him killing what he is wanting to kill with on application of IMAGE from lows, so I was giving him something else to look at.

http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/plants/Cyperaceae/Kyllinga brevifolia/index.html

http://www.igoterra.com/photo_info.asp?photoid=15213

doomtrpr_z71

I missed the centipede but st Augustine is not labeled for use except in sod production, tenacity is not particularly recommended in ga for sedge and a hppd inhibitor would not be my first choice, imidazolinone would be a more effective path though it will take 2 applications most likely. Purple nutsedge has 3 ranked leaves, those have 5 in the picture.