Idaho 1st scouting trip

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
Unfortunately idaho OTC is now effectively a draw. You log in before the website opens and you are assigned a random number. Once your number is up, you can enter the site to buy a tag. No group sales either. The good units sold out in about 30 seconds because of the NR caps. To apply in the draw you have to buy NR licenses first but you can apply as a group.

humblehunter22

Unfortunately idaho OTC is now effectively a draw. You log in before the website opens and you are assigned a random number. Once your number is up, you can enter the site to buy a tag. No group sales either. The good units sold out in about 30 seconds because of the NR caps. To apply in the draw you have to buy NR licenses first but you can apply as a group.

But dont they do like a secondary draw of unclaimed or returned tags as well? I have heard a few states out west do that within their system but it is so difficult to understand which is what for which state and when. Just like I know for instance Colorado has multiple different seasons for like rifle season.

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
But dont they do like a secondary draw of unclaimed or returned tags as well? I have heard a few states out west do that within their system but it is so difficult to understand which is what for which state and when. Just like I know for instance Colorado has multiple different seasons for like rifle season.

They do, but once again the good tags go quick. Idaho gives you 4 shots. First otc sale, first draw, second/returned otc sale , 2nd draw. Before you buy a tag look at the elk objective map so you dont buy a Lolo wilderness tag where wolves knocked elk from 16000 to under 1000 animals in a million acre unit. You also have to pay fees for each draw. Each state is different. The easiest way to get up to speed is to find the randy Newburg draw videos.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
They do, but once again the good tags go quick. Idaho gives you 4 shots. First otc sale, first draw, second/returned otc sale , 2nd draw. Before you buy a tag look at the elk objective map so you dont buy a Lolo wilderness tag where wolves knocked elk from 16000 to under 1000 animals in a million acre unit. You also have to pay fees for each draw. Each state is different. The easiest way to get up to speed is to find the randy Newburg draw videos.
What's the Lolo wilderness tag? Is that a unit in the Frank Church?

TarponStalker

I elk hunted in Idaho back in 1997. I was 26 at the time and the country whooped me. I hunted near Elk City Idaho. I remember it not only being steep country but pretty thick as well. I have since hunted in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado and I still think Idaho was the most challenging place out of the 4. I hope you all get to go hunting out there it’s an amazing experience
That’s funny. I’ve hunted near Elk City since the late 80s but had to lay off elk hunting for several years. I went back last year expecting the same bull activity as we used to have. Man was I disappointed. I heard the wolves had ruined elk hunting there but I was also told the elk numbers were way back up now. Not true for unit 15 anyway. Three hunters for 9 days only heard two bulls. Almost no fresh sign. We covered miles looking. I know elk hunting can be tough but this was the worst I’ve seen. However, elk country is beautiful so it’s a great hunt anyway.

sea trout

Lolo is just a area like beaverhead or tex creek. Lolo is probably the worst area in the state at this point and I was using it as an example of what not to buy.
gotchya thanks

humblehunter22

Got ya yea we did OTC of course before the change to the system. I know the neighboring unit next to the 1 we were in we personally seen 8 nice for the area bulls come out of the big country. In ours we located some elk and had a bull killed out from underneath our noses by a horse hunter. Funny story way i see it now but was a bad taste initially. It will humble a regular ole whitetail hunter real quick. That elevation aint for the faint of heart.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Beautiful area. I could walk around there all day and night, and not get enough of the scenery.

Rabun

Yes I hope we get a tag, that will be awesome! Physically hard but very awesome!
You bet I try to get around and experience everything! I always wanted to hook up with you and follow your Robalo with my Robalo and get a feel for captaining offshore and fishing offshore one summer. Now that it looks like a fisherman can't even keep anything for the cooler anymore down there it seems a little discouraging

I hope one day we can put that together! I’ve wanted to explore the Ga coast but those tides intimidate the heck out of me. We have a trip planned in June at CSB again and I hope the snapper season align this time otherwise it’ll be another yak trip. Hoping you get those tags! Have a friend that elk hunts a good bit in Colorado. He’s going this Fall for the ML season.

sea trout

I wish him luck! Have some elk loin steaks one night and you'll be wantin to go too!
It's a beautiful challenge that can be rewarding beyond words but it is a CHALLENGE!
Man I hope to buddy boat with ya at the cape one summer! That's on my bucket list! I haven't been to Ga coast in almost 2 years, just been busy with other stuff but we need to go for a couple days. A waterproof chart of the area and a good sonar and you'll have the hang of it in no time. Doe's your Caymen have the salt water chip for your screen? ATL Marine gave me a choice.... salt water or US lakes n rivers. I got the Salt water chip, and with it and my waterproof chart combined it's pretty accurate. BUT! There is always sand and mud moving and changing with weather.
Hope ya have a great rest of the summer man!
IMG_0251.jpg

Last edited:

sea trout

[QUOTE="Rabun, post: I’ve wanted to explore the Ga coast but those tides intimidate the heck out of me. .[/QUOTE]
Just can't stay in one spot too long.... but make sure the boat is packed with PLENTY of you favorite beverages and snacks just in case of the wait for high tide to come back
IMG_5269(1).jpg

sea trout

@sea trout: I call that extending the weekend a little.
AHHHH HA ha ha ha ha yes!
And that's exactly what it was for the friends with us! They were supposed to checkout and leave that afternoon. We looked for sharks teeth just a liiiiittle too long and didn't have the water to leave. We had to wait hours for the water to come back. But we had plenty of drink and snacks and our friends stayed an extra night! It's a great memory!

sea trout

Cool that this came back up.
We did not get an elk tag. It was pretty confusing trying to get one.
We'll try again next year for a tag

Gaswamp

Cool that this came back up.
We did not get an elk tag. It was pretty confusing trying to get one.
We'll try again next year for a tag
sorry I brought it up again, but Im having withdraws since I aint going this year

sea trout

sorry I brought it up again, but Im having withdraws since I aint going this year
we're not goin either
We'll try next year again next year for Idaho elk and Miane moose

Gaswamp

we're not goin either
We'll try next year again next year for Idaho elk and Miane moose
yeah hope to do colorado elk again next year. If I had my way, I'd have an elk application in for every state that has them every year

sea trout

yeah hope to do colorado elk again next year. If I had my way, I'd have an elk application in for every state that has them every year
good luck!!