Is there any relief?

dbodkin

In 2009 my right knee was replaced. Now the left is 10X the pain at least today it feels that way. The Ortho Dr injected cortisone last Thursday. Friday was sore, Saturday a little help and then downhill. I'm in some serious pain and the Doc said take Aleve. I'm icing it down and eating Aleve like Chiclets.

I don't want the Oxy stuff even if he'd prescribe it but there has to be something short of a scalpel. My right TKR didnt go well and I'm a wuss. Any home remedies? :cry:

StriperrHunterr

In 2009 my right knee was replaced. Now the left is 10X the pain at least today it feels that way. The Ortho Dr injected cortisone last Thursday. Friday was sore, Saturday a little help and then downhill. I'm in some serious pain and the Doc said take Aleve. I'm icing it down and eating Aleve like Chiclets.

I don't want the Oxy stuff even if he'd prescribe it but there has to be something short of a scalpel. My right TKR didnt go well and I'm a wuss. Any home remedies? :cry:

Elevate it.

7Mag Hunter

I feel your pain, literally......Had knee surgery (scope) with meniscus trim and
smoothing of the bone due to severe Osteoarthritis in my right knee in Jan....
Fast forward thru physical therapy and
starting Euflexxa injections next week
to hopefully avoid knee replacement
in the future.....

Not sure who your Ortho Dr is but PM me
and i can give you a recommendation for
a great surgeon in Marietta....

rjcruiser

Have you been tested for Rhumatoid Arthritis? Or is it from an old injury?

rjcruiser

I'd say it is time to get a new left knee. Either that or drop weight and continue with the pain meds. But with pain, I know it is going to be very difficult to drop weight.

7Mag Hunter

Old age... (Obesity) bone on bone.

Same here.....Ask your Orth Dr about
Euflexxa....You can Google it to find
out if it is right for you, but it replaces
the natural lubricant we had in our
knees (before we had so many birthdays).:cry:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have had bad knee pain for several years. At least one of them need TKR, but for other health reasons, I am reluctant to have that procedure right now. My Doctor prescribed a topical cream called Voltaren to control the pain. I only use it at night, but it does give me some relief. Might check on it.

gunnurse

Arthroscopic surgery has been shown to increase the possibility of speeding up a knee replacement by up to 40%, so I have read in several studies. My ortho has basically talked me out of it.

If you do have the knee replaced, be sure to seek an orthopedic doctor who uses the Visionaire knee prosthesis. This knee is the cutting edge of prosthesis technology. It reduces about twenty bone remodeling procedures to "mold" the bone to fit the replacement. It uses MRI precision measurements that are fed into a laser 3-d printer to make this prosthesis "your" knee.

PM me if you want more info.

dbodkin

Thanks for the advice. I plan the harder track, I really don't want the TKR. So it's lose about 75 lbs. easier said then done for an old fat man. I put a picture of my right knee X-ray on the fridge with a scalpel attached. Keeping me honest....

dslc6487

Sir: I have had both of my knees replaced. Had severe osteoarthritis in both of them. Suffered for years before I finally made the decision to have them replaced. A couple of key points have already been made that I will repeat: Make sure that you have a good surgeon. First, I went through all of the over the counter medications; advil, aleve, motrin, then on to prescription meds; all they did for me was cause me severe stomach irritation and gastritis. Then I went to cortisone injections which helped for a short period of time. Then I went to the hyalaronic injections which helped for a while. Finally with bone on bone, nothing else would help. I am an engineer by trade and all of this time I was still trying to work, but getting around was very painful. Also, i have a farm on the side and if it had not been for a very good farm hand, I could not have made it. Finally, after constant pain, both day and night, I made up my mind to have them replaced. Searched and researched for a good hospital and surgeon and believe me when I tell you that I found one. I had my left knee replaced in March of 2010 and my right knee replaced in March of 2011. Now, it was no picnic. Matter of fact, my surgeon told me that for the first three weeks every time I thought of his name, murder would come to mind. But he told me that going into the 4th week of rehab and on out, I would begin to see the positive results and he was right. Now, I can do anything I want. I can climb up on my tractors with no problem. Do all of my farm and engineer work with no problem. I have absolutely no pain in my knees at all….. My surgeon gave me a new lease on life. Now, rehab was rough, I kid you not on that. But, I wanted to max out as much as I could because I am still a young 69 year old man. Also, like someone else said, scoping the knee and scraping the surfaces of the knee and removing all of the particles and trash that has accumulated in the knee over the years is just a waste of time, money and just causing you more pain. My surgeon stated this to me. Sir, I wish you the best. I have been where you are. If you want the name of a great surgeon and hospital just pm me and I will be glad to give you the information. Also, my surgeon and hospital have a very high success rate on both knee and hip replacements and a the national average for the lowest infection rate after surgery of any hospital in the United States.