Its Official.....

MoeBirds

I’m ‘off the reservation:biggrin2:?!’

…I know, I know, it was there all along and I could’ve used it earlier, but held out for a time just like now instead; as never before has it meant so literal a representation of my soul - I almost feel like I’ve been released from prison in a strange and totally insane way of thinking (not forgetting of course I just left a job at a fly shop on the Big Horn River, Montana)?......

……..Yup, Boca, Suzie, and I, vacated as quickly as news came I was ‘accepted’ to move from one end of this great state to the other. We now live just 12 miles west of Bozeman, a few miles southwest of Belgrade, and on a lone dirt road, in another singlewide, in the middle of a gigantic cow pasture; but it’s perfect and I’m happier than I could ever be (within reason of course).

……………………….

If there were any great news attached to what was already good news; would be what Charlie, my landlord/famer said after being asked: “how many head is that anyway”; having’ lost count well into the hundreds?

”It’s just under a thousand, but gonna be a lot less come next week, as were done with dairy”.

“What’s that?”

“Done- lands worth too much to keep it up? We’re sellin.”

“Oh?”

“Yup, been in the family fer generations, but we’ll just go to raisin a few instead (200), but not milkin anymore?”

“Dang man, sorry to hear it?” I said and tried to sound sincere, though not sure how convincing I was; considering I was ecstatic to hear my daily intake of noxious cow pooh would be diminishing a whole 800 head, give or take.
………….

I’d had a less enlightening conversation on the subject just the week before, when discussing the possibility of even moving here in the first place.

“Oh cows?”…“You’ll get used to it.” Carrie said while ringing up my bacon and eggs in the Yellow Tail Market

“No, I’m tellin ya, this is some strong stuff were talkin bout here now, nauseating; something like: 900 head of cattle?” I said

“I grew up on a farm. Aint nuthin to it I tell ya”…”Give it a week or two and you’ll never even notice.”

“Yeah whatever, still, I’m hoping that place in Boulder pans out?” I said, still foolishly thinking people with million dollar homes were idiots enough to let me live in them for winters with two dogs, no job, and terrible credit references:rolleyes:.

“Heck, I was driving home from work one night and got behind a cattle-rig and I was bout hangin my head out the window like a dog; I couldn’t get enough of it I tell ya...My ex-husband asked ‘why I was late?’ and I told him ‘I got behind a cattle truck’ and he understood.” she said smiling:crazy:

“That’s just not right, if were talkin bout the same thing?” I told her, “These dairy cows, man they just rot from the inside out I think!?”

“Oh, you mean ‘dairy cows’?”…”I thought you said ‘cattle’, like free ranging?” …”No, no, no, dairy cows, now that’s an entirely different animal; they sure nuff stink!”

-The ‘news’ they were leaving was a blessing I hadn’t even put much serious prayer into, but was glad none the less. And since consoling future millionaires wasn’t something I’d ever considered fun, I left Charlie to sulk about his family farm going under all alone.

……………………………….

Once I’d completed the all important task of closing off both ends of my yard, utilizing the existing pasture fence, along with 100’ of hog wire I bought- trapping the girls inside. I set about figuring out how to shelter them when I was away and that’s when a notion struck me like a bolt from the heavens?

“Saw Zaw”; it’s what Charlie called the funny lookin tool he lent me to cut a hole for my dogs to go in and out of my shed, which is now my dog house? I’d heard them called this before, but never had anyone actually let me use one, and here the guy handed it to me along with his skill-saw without even asking whether I did or didn’t feel confident working either; given I was a fat red neck lookin 41 year old and probably should:confused:?

Yeah, I’ll go ahead and admit if there was an area I was more clueless in than making money and holding down jobs, it would be actually working while on them; especially when it involved the use of high powered tools? As far as construction-projects go, I can be counted on 100% heading in the other direction when the mere words “build something from scratch” enter the conversation. Oh following diagrams no better, clueless. I’ll lose the hammer in the first few minutes, the screwdriver while looking for the hammer, and let the directions blow into the lake while looking for both?

There isn’t a plantation manager who will ever forget that city slicker they hired who couldn’t operate a leaf blower or weed whacker without some formal ten-minute instruction. When I wasn’t cat walking huge Jon Deere tractors across food plots I was usually found attempting to call AAA before I’d ever call the office -broken down again along a lonely stretch of Georgia roadway; having mysteriously lost a wheel at some point:huh:?

…My ‘doggy door’, because I failed Shop in 8th grade, is now approximately 16”x 24”x 29”x12:mad:? Thankfully, the only two other living breathing things in Bozeman I know, don’t possess the know-how to measure either and love me regardless of my construction shortcomings. As a bonus I still have all my fingers, though when cutting down several shelves that needed removing, I very nearly removed my left hand from my body:eek:?

The girls now have a warm place to miss me when I’m off looking for a job (or elk hunting) and ‘it aint out in the fifty mile an hour wind at least’, or so I tell em before leaving every morning.

It took a surprisingly short time to teach both dogs that the giant building (in dog terms) was now, given I’d sliced the abnormal sized hole into its’ siding; their “new dog house” and they got excited at entering and seeing their master bent over as the dang thing’s too short to stand erect (in human terms).

Once inside, we stood and stared at all the wonderful things a dog might like to chew to smithereens once left alone; and I began the chore of hauling outside their enclosure several cans of paint, thirty feet of garden hose, a box of caulking tubes, jointers, skews, and other odd items I’d never in my life heard of?

…Once this was complete, both Boca and Suzie still dancing around my feet, it dawned on me; “I’d just turned my shed into a giant dog house and now I needed a shed:banginghe:banginghe?!”
……………..

After doing about two dozen really dumb things since moving here five days ago, I awoke this morning and made a vow to myself to cut it out once and for all! This vow is one I’ve made before, but this time I meant it! Three hours later I broke this vow so bad it makes me think I’m incurable, destined for more of the same, and borderline an idiot savant of sorts?

I’d for several days been seeing this sign along the roadway indicating a ‘Fisheries and Game Management Office 4 miles west’ and had spent the better part of yesterday riding four miles down two different roads trying to find it instead of another job, or doing the half a million other more important things on my list; then try to find more land to hunt on?

Today I found this mysterious office and found it closed, the wrong one anyway- as it was devoted to ‘fish hatchery only’, and after asking a Fed EX driver “where I should go next?”; he pointed me back across town where I walked into the Forestry Office of Bozeman and was informed I was in the wrong place again?!

When the woman behind the counter in the brown uniform politely informed me:”You might be looking for the Department of Fish and Game over on College Avenue?” I very nearly fell flat on my face! Seriously, it defies logic in common man just how brain dead I am sometimes. For those who kindly suggested I not refer to myself as an idiot in past posts, I appreciate the gesture of good will, but would now discourage you from arguing the point ever again:(?

Not three weeks ago I posted on this very forum not only ‘stopping in this same exact office she was now referring to and buying my bear and wolf tag’, but had also spent the better part of an hour in the bloody thing, throwing down over $60.00 bucks I didn’t have on tags and maps on my way down to the Gravellys; now only to realize so and that I might in fact be losing my mind?!

“You’re in Bozeman now you idiot?!” :banginghe I exclaimed aloud, walking back out the door, much to the woman’s horror.

As I drove back across town I sincerely contemplated driving to the nearest insane asylum for admission instead. Being used to such things though, I shook it off and eventually found myself in familiar surroundings (the office of the DFG), and then spent another two hours discussing “deer and elk hunting” with a handful of helpful folks seemingly understanding my plight of attempting to kill both a huge muley and elk in the next two weeks before the season ended, though none of them the wiser just what caliber of a hunting lunatic they were dealing with?:biggrin2:

Tomorrow evening I begin my hunt again, this time however the prey is ‘mule deer bucks first, elk second’, as the RUT is in its pre/chasing-phase and with state lands less than an hour away, some good info I think from a reliable source (?), I may be into some good deer hunting; who knows??...
………………………..

...Thus begins ‘Part 2’ of my elk hunting journey (the part where I score and there is no Part 3) as I’m flat broke and no longer just wishing for beginners’ luck, but just dumb-luck if the local deer and elk herd can spare some??…….

….I’ll check in after each hunt and let you know how it’s going.:cool:

Later,

G

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
All I'll say is "GOod Luck, Moe!!!!" :love:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
What are we going to do with you Moebirds??? You sure can take the most ordinary, mundane things, and make them seem either hilarious or just down right depressing :bounce: :cry: So now I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry :confused: One thing has not changed and that is your gift with words and telling a story :) Good luck on your quest for the mule deer and elk... I sure wish I could hunt them for a week or two myself! I'll be back here in Georgia hunting the elusive whitetail deer :shoot: Keep us posted!

Last edited:

contender*

What are we going to do with you Moebirds??? You sure can take the most ordinary, mundane things, and make them seem either hilarious or just down right depressing :bounce: :cry: So now I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry :confused: One thing has not changed and that is your gift with words and telling a story :) Good luck on your quest for the mule deer and elk... I sure wish I could hunt them for a week or two myself! I'll be back here in Georgia hunting the elusive whitetail deer :shoot: Keep us posted!

Moe has definitely got a talent for telling a story.
Good luck Moe, hope you get a "biggun".

DeltaHalo

Thanks for the update Moebirds!! Keep your head up!
I'll be waiting for the next installment in the meanwhile!

ArmyTaco

You need to write a book for shure!!

MoeBirds

Thanks guys, sincerly nice words!!!...

Magpies, that’s all I saw or heard; was bloody magpies:mad:?!

…And this after climbing Bear Canyon Mountain at least 1/3 of the way to the top?! It was 3’o clock once I’d reached that level and considered the effort somewhat miraculous, given my current physical condition? Since the top section was visibly covered in 8 feet of snow, I theorized ‘the elk must be holding in that middle-section’ now just beyond reach, given my current physical condition.:(

As I rested at one point and had my Arby’s lunch all over again, carefully moving my boots out of the way as I puked my guts out; I decided this would be my last season as a fat and out of shape elk hunter and instead would devote myself to bettering my diet and exercise routine in that respect. So that next year I might be able to climb the distance necessary to actually see elk and mule deer instead of stupid magpies.

I will say this as far as western birds go, a magpie is pretty amazing (stupid still, but amazingly so)! They’re somewhat huge and in a lot of ways resemble a sort of ‘mountain parrot’? They’re a deep dark black with bright white wings and long tail feathers and can swoop and dive and make all sorts of racket in a bush next to you that sound just like a herd of elk bearing down on an unsuspecting hunter?

Of course when your mindset is on hearing things like elk or deer moving about, even the scurrying of an odd mole (or whatever that was?) that pops out of his hole 2 feet behind you sounds an awful lot like a deer that’s about to walk on top of you, if you don’t turn quickly and shoot:eek:?!

Magpies can also sound like a bear moving closer to you, instead of away apparently; once they’re disturbed while going to roost -by a hunter exiting by the glow of his headlamp and ‘talking calmly to the bear he thinks is up the trail ahead’? Again it’s your current mindset that plays tricks on you, especially considering you’re on a mountain and canyon bearing ones name.

The trek down was much easier physically and gaining my bearings on the way back without use of a compass (left in truck), was solved given a millionaire was nice enough to leave his lights on at the mansion I’d parked next to at the trailhead. If he hadn’t of course, I’d still be up on that mountain.

I have to admit the view of Bozeman illuminated at dusk upon decent, was quite amazing indeed:cool:!!!!
………….

Since I got in so late last night and was plumb tired, I put off my ‘update’ till today; given it requires a short trip to town for internet service (Belgrade). I had anticipated heading west about 10 miles to some private/state land I read about, but awoke to 8 inches of the white stuff and by noon it was still coming down an closer to a foot.

So today was a bust too- given its 4:30PM here and near dark already.
It’d been well forecasted apparently, but beside what I’d overheard a guy in the convenience store say bout “some snow due I hear” (him talking to another customer yesterday); I hadn’t bothered to grab a paper or asked him to elaborate...:rolleyes:This of course is why I had trouble opening the backdoor this morning to let the girls out, and all 3 of us stood and stared at what our new surroundings looked like once completely covered in a thick blanket of snow!?... “Beautiful” yes, but both were clearly reluctant to go out in it so this required me, also reluctant given I was barefoot, to don my winter wardrobe and coax them; Boca shivering and looking pretty sad while she did her business and Suzie disappearing every other leap.

Of course if I go at all tomorrow, depending on road conditions mostly, its’ likely muley’s only at this juncture given the convenience aspect - it being mostly flat land, and also not likely this ranch will hold elk.

I did learn two things this trip out though; 1) fat people don’t kill elk, and 2) its’ best to spend a few minutes each day now checking the weather and roads (online), so it wasn’t completely a day without a few lessons.;)

I’ll check back and hopefully have a better sighting-report at least?

Later,

G

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
Well the magpies sounding like deer and elk was exciting but coming out at dark and your mind telling you it sounds like a bear :eek: Now that would be the wrong kind of excitement :bounce:
By the way I beg to differ... some fat people do kill elk! My Dad had a good friend, Henry Clark, that he elk hunted with in Wyoming back in the early 70's, and he was a pretty big guy... I may have been only 5 or 6 years old, but I still remember him. I will never forget the elk he brought home from Wyoming... he hung it over his fireplace. At the time it looked real scary to me but now I want one just like it :fine:

MoeBirds

Still tryin....

Awoke to one inch of ice on everything, temps in the teens, and visibility 50 yards at best? Universally considered ‘perfect weather’ to climb back into bed and sleep another few hours, when you’re unemployed.

By noon it had warmed to about twenty and this made scraping the windshield just that much easier. Not trusting the girls to be wise enough to go in their dog shed often enough throughout the day to remain alive while I was away, I decided I’d simply take them with.

We headed toward the Madison River Valley and eventually found ourselves on familiar ground, given I recalled camping a couple times in the area while touring the state last year; in my mad attempt to find work only a few days after disastrously losing it:rolleyes:?!
Now however, I was unemployed by my own fruition, that and the fishing-season being over, and was now hunting for critters instead of a free place to lay my head for the night.

:cool: And critters we did see!...just none worthy of wearing my tag? As I’d thought might be the case, this snow storm forced the deer down in droves and the ranches were covered up with em by 3PM. As far as whitetail I lost count at 50+ and muleys roughly 30 more? The problem with both of these counts is they were nearly all in groups of no less than 10 each, (the muleys were all 30 together), and there weren’t nearly as many bucks amongst the does, and the one whitetail I’d have considered a “shooter” was 400 yards out and on red alert and on private land:banginghe!

What’s great about hunting in snow is you can see the unmistakable silhouette of a deer from nearly a half-mile away. What’s not great about hunting in the snow is the deer can see you too from this distance, when they otherwise wouldn’t? I thought I might try a stalk on a few whitetails I’d seen standing 500 yards out on some state land, but as soon as I slowed the truck to park, they bolted like antelope over to the bordering ranch I didn’t have permission to hunt? It appeared some ‘road hunting’ had been going on for a couple weeks.

So while I didn’t score on any game this trip out, I did locate some land that’s suitable for a return visit when this RUT picks up a bit more. I really didn’t see any chasing action I’d thought I might and this can only mean it’s still to come? As far as elk of course, this all took place back in September (archery) but as in Georgia for the most part our muleys and whitetail too get into full swing right about Thanksgiving. The only problem being the season ends on the 29th up here, and only extends for ‘doe only’ in my home region thru Christmas; so that really puts the pressure on around that time so you don’t end up eating your highly coveted resident buck-tag:confused:.

When I pulled into a Madison River Fishing Access I came upon, I looked in my rearview mirror and spied a small Toyota truck following me?

“Great” I said, figuring I’d have to share what was likely a tiny parcel with another hunter (I’ve had a few near deadly instances, before making my move this year at accesses), but when I parked and got out I met instead a young couple “going after geese”?

We chatted for a bit while I let the girls out and he said he’d been to that access “about 6 times before, seen lots of pheasant, a few nice deer, and was a really great spot for duck hunting from shore, or wading to islands” (and of course fishing). This was good to know as I have no boat, but a few decoys and Boca loves to retrieve from shore; so may have to return for some late winter mallard action- we’ll see?

Still I have to admit, as we were readying ourselves for our individual hunts, myself gonna take a little stroll with my rifle riverside for a bit, it was almost a race to see who could get ready first? I won of course as I commanded both girls into the warm truck, grabbed my binos, gun, and a bit of orange, and raced down to the footbridge leaving him waiting on his girlfriend as she’d “forgot to lock the truck?”

“Ha, ha, ha, silly little man” :rolleyes: I said to myself and got a good hundred yards down the levee before they even got on top. The guy was being extra patient with his young girlfriend, it obviously her first time out. He’d grabbed and stacked all the goose decoys and blind material and strapped it down to the orange kiddy-sled, pulling it behind him; as she toted the lone shotgun in an odd sort of way that made me hope it wasn’t loaded?

About 300 yards later I glanced behind me and was shocked to see they’d gained on me by 70 yards and it looked like he might wanna pass? Heck, here I was on flat land and was about to be eclipsed by a younger man and his newbie-hunter girlfriend and at that point I said: “Oh, It’s on bro!”

::gone: I began booking it and moving my legs and feet faster than I ever had on a deer hunt, but there was no way these two were gonna beat me to ‘wherever it was we were going?’ By the time I stopped to turn around again, sure I was another hundred yards ahead at least; they had vanished?! I secretly told myself he’d figured he couldn’t beat me, so he decided to tell his girlfriend they’d just hunt closer to their truck or something? That’s when I turned back around and saw him up in front:eek:?

“Huh?”

The levee apparently made a sharp right turn toward the river and he’d simply dropped off it sometime back, taking a shortcut only he knew about? “Blasted youngins” I said, “always showing off”:mad:!

At that point I figured it was a bust anyway, as while I’d cut a few deer tracks, none were near as big as the many hunters’ that’d been there this morning I supposed, though couldn’t fathom have joining them given how miserable it was?

In my haste to win the race to nowhere, I’d neglected to grab my gloves or face mask and both were now freezing! “Dang its chilly out here!”

I headed back dipping down into the brush every fifty yard and then back up on the levee, hoping to jump something but didn’t as of course any deer worth its salt was out eating somewhere by then and had likely been bedded most of the night before?
At least the girls were happy to see me and I don’t know if they could see me coming from that far out and were welcoming me or hadn’t quit barking since I’d left?

When I got in the truck I was shocked to see my thermometer said 6 degrees and quickly heated it back up inside to a toasty 70.

Oh well, tomorrow I’m headed north a bit to some BMA (Block Management Access) lands up toward Townsend actually (about 30 miles)? I think I’ll board the girls though if I can for the night; makes deer hunting a little less of a hassle having to go back to your truck and check on them every half hour.

As I left that evening I couldn’t help but think about that gal with the young man and how by 5PM, as legal shooting light for waterfowl would’ve been just about up; my thermometer had already dipped another 10 degrees and stood at ‘minus 5 outside’:hair:?!

That’s a sure enough way to test a new relationship I thought and had to give the young guy some props for that, or either he was just an idiot too…’a fast one though’?

Later,

G

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Dang Moe, if you don't start printing off these pages for future references, I will!! Now, git the pics to go with & danged if you won't be set!! Keep it up & stay safe!!!!!!!!! :cool:

MoeBirds

Thanks Kebo...

:OI'll admit, they're long....:type: Agressively searching for 'an editor' at MSU-seriously.

...For now though your stuck; as here's another...:p

I call it appropriately (without copyright)

...ICE AGE II

Still downright chilly ‘the next morning’ (5 degrees) and I put this “update” in that contex, to explain just how clueless I can also be -on “what day it is sometimes”:banginghe??

I awoke convinced yesterday was Friday, not Satruday; not only mixing up the day of week, but the forecast as well? I’ll be buying a paper from now on.

I also am buyin a watch today, though I’ve been reluctant to do so for some time now, not having worn one or carried any sense of what time it is either most days on the REZ; instead utilizing my Boy Scout skills I don’t possess since I quit in Cub -by figuring the suns position in relation to the horizon. Now that the sun has essentially been blocked out by clouds of snow for the past 3 days, I find myself at a loss for just how much more 'legal light' I have left and how long I should give myself to hike back down to the truck, so I don’t get frost bitten on the way?

I decided against the Townsend trip and instead, based on a meeting with another hunter; once it warmed up to 20, headed just about 10 miles away to a town called Logan. There I headed another 8 up to the top of a beautiful mountain range slipping and sliding and not gaining the traction nor confidence I’d ever make it all the way or whether I’d ever make it back:O? I passed thru the F and Double D Ranch (actual name) and over millions of deer tracks; enough to make me wanna keep going! Of course, I later, after another few miles came upon a herd of over 50 antelope and decided many or at least some of what I’d trodden over thinking ‘deer tracks’; were instead this same herd of antelope crisscrossing this same dirt road who knew how many times:rolleyes:? …Still a few muleys actually spotted casually standing by the road indicated of course they were present too, just not on state-land yet, still PRIVATE, and only does and no bucks?

Once I’d stopped and chatted with a couple others looking for this mysterious plot of blue on our maps, we separated; them taking another trail toward another tract and me onward and upward still- 4x4 the whole way no less. I was happy to hear they’d decided on elsewhere as there were 3 of them, they seemed just a little bit stoned, and when asked ‘what they were hunting?’; they near replied in unison: “Whatever we can shoot?”:biggrin2:

As I pulled away and struggled up another mile thru thick snow there was always the possibility of finally, though reluctantly, having to use that brand new set of chains I’d bought for the elk trip; still sitting shiny and untouched in their bag in the bed of my truck?

Another 2 miles further and I found my 1x1 square mile of state land and found a man already hunting it:mad:?! I parked next to his truck, donned my orange and gun for a quick walkabout just the same? I figured as long as I climbed the other side of the mountain; ‘what would it hurt’? Heck each block is 640 acres; certainly enough room for two single guys to split up and hunt huh? Though places to park are obvious and few, so you essentially start your hunt in about the same spot as the last guy finished?

Didn’t need to worry though as he was descending not climbing as I’d thought, and when I turned around to go hunt while locking my door; he stopped and chatted for a minute. It seems he’d hunted this tract last year and had success on a nice 3x4 elk with his son and was looking for them, not necessarily deer? He mentioned the boundaries, which was nice of him, seeing as how when he shot his 3x4 elk it apparently “rolled off the mountain over the wrong side” and once his gut pile was checked, along with having been license-checked up there the same day by F&G; he “got a trespass ticket too?”

“Bummer”

“Yeah, still got to keep my elk meat though, but confiscated the rack?”

“That’s stupid!” I said

“You’re telling me?”

Though I bought his story for the most part- leading up to the shot, it seemed a bit odd an elk tumbling down the wrong side of a mountain, and I’d have usually sided with LEO on this one, but given we were miles from any; I instead chose to side with the other guy currently standing their holding a high-powered rifle and didn’t see the point in arguing any facts?

Besides where he pointed on the top of the mountain ‘that he said he shot this elk’ was way way way beyond any distance I’d be travelling within the next hour (1 mile nearly straight up!)? …As he left, he left me all alone or so I thought?

:cool: “Cool”, I said and hiked up a bit, just planning on short trec since I’d neglected to properly prepare for anything strenuous, nor was wearing my Gore-Tex boots and only my thin tube socks and Timberlands. I’d decided I just wasn’t ready for a long walk carrying my heavy backpack and would just stroll a little ways from the truck and then come right back, since it was only an hour and a half before dark (truck clock)?

It was an amazing spot and at any moment, from my vantage point on top of this valley, you could just imagine all sorts of elk or mule deer coming down and right by my position?

…And that’s just what I did for the next hour and a half was ‘imagine’ every piece of scrub or bush, all covered in just enough snow to make it appear to be the neck patch of a muley or rump of an elk, until my toes hurt so bad it felt exactly as you’d ‘imagine’ someone holding a match to each of them, my nose now running so often my gloves would stick to my mustache whenever I took a swipe, and my jeans covered legs had my knees knocking so loud I could hear an echo all the way across the canyon I thought:(?!

..It had somehow dropped to 3 :eek:. Three single degrees is what my trucks’ thermometer said when I got back 3? When I looked closer, it became apparent there was in fact a minus sign in front of the little 3 and now I was truly depressed.

I was in pain in certain spots of my body, not to mention sore as I’d tumbled a bit and slid about 20 feet on the decline, dropping my gun again, and just sat for a solid half hour shivering in my rapidly warming truck-meanwhile watching a parade of road hunters ease on by headlights-off and ‘hunting’ for whatever they could shoot?

“Idiots:mad:!?”

I got a bit angry about that one though, as “if you’re gonna break one law, ya might as well just go all out and poach” I figure? Why mess with state land when you got a whole ranch that ‘actually holds game’ due to limited pressure apparently, and leave what few parcels a guy could legally hunt if he wanted to too himself?

…And thirty seconds after I said this to myself, a full half-hour after legal shooting light had faded

“Kaboom!”, “Kaboom!”, Kaboom!”

“Holy cow that was close:eek:?”

It had to be the same guys who’d just eased by me in the F-150 and just off state-land, probably having been skunked and frozen like myself, as it was certainly downhill where it came from well into the ranch?

I started my 8 point-turn trying as hard as I could not to fall off the single-track mountain road I was parked on the shoulder of, as any wrong moves now would prove deadly?

I didn’t go 300 yards before spying a familiar rig parked lights-off on the shoulder of a turn and two visible headlamps dancing rapidly across the horizon toward some type of fallen prize?

…And that- was poaching, plain and simple :O and I had to hand it to them; at least they were tactful enough to wait as I’d suggested to myself they should ‘until they were 300 yards off of state land’ to kill whatever it was they did. As all I’d done was kill more time anyway and quite possibly the thin skin around my toes and ears too?
…………….

For those wondering if I reported this, I did not. I just wasn’t in the mood to run 8 miles down a mountain, then find a phone (?), then inevitably have to retrace the steps 8 miles back up this mountain relaying ‘what I’d seen’, but actually hadn’t fully to LEO, possibly have to appear as ‘a witness’, and just didn’t care to be honest?

I had two more important things to worry about on my mind, that of my two big toes and whether they’d ever regain feeling; as they certainly still weren’t responding well even as I switched from brake to gas brake to gas a hundred times down the mountain and all the way back home?

I’ve taken today- Sunday off as a day of rest. I’ll check back in once I’ve hit the field again and hopefully, just maybe, I’ll have a harvest=report attached to one of these crazy things:rolleyes:?

...Sure would be nice to type I’ll tell ya.

Later,

G

Cindi

I still say you're not an idiot ... you're just experiencing a learning curve. Never mind that it seems to go on into infinity and meanders about like the great wall of China. All things being equal it will eventually straighten out.:D

Somehow or another your writings reminded me of a hunting trip to Ozona, Texas back in the late 70s. Suffice it to say I was with a bunch of TRUE idiots and when day crept into frigid cold night, I ended up in a pop-up camper in sub-zero temperatures, and someone had managed to knock the half-full coffee pot over onto the only source of heat, which was a Coleman lantern with a broken globe.

Needless to say I still wonder how I survived the night, especially since the guy I was with had curled himself into a fetal position, informing me that I was "cold as death" and not welcome inside his sleeping bag. As I said I was with TRUE idiots, as even your average idiot knows one of the best ways to generate heat is with ... well, you know.;)

So take heart, there's nothing I've read that you've written that would lead me to believe that you would kick a willing female out of your sleeping bag no matter what the thermometer says, and I sure do enjoy reading about your adventures. You have a new fan.:clap:

MoeBirds

I’ll admit, a Golden Retriever doesn’t look an awful lot like either a Mule deer or whitetail, but considering I was on about my 6th straight day of hunting, having not seen hide nor hair of either within gun range, and was holding a newly acquired antlerless B tag, my 12 guage filled with slugs, and this crazy dog came right down the trail at dusk I was certain was ‘a deer’; …well let’s just say I nearly blew his brains all over the bank of the West Gallatin River:mad:?!

His owner seemed surprised to find me pointing my gun at both his dog and him and only after I cursed a bit did he realize his error?

“Dude, do you know how close I just came to killing your dog?!”

“He’s not the same color as a deer?”

“Color-schmuller, its deer season and you’re not even wearing any orange?”

“I know, I used to carry some in my truck, but I just got off work and figured…”

“Yeah okay whatever, nice lookin dog man, and I’d love to sit and chat, but ‘I’m hunting!’… You should really wear some orange.” I said, giving him a friendly punch in the shoulder, which was an odd thing to do I agree; given I didn’t know this cat from Adam:O?

He went further down the trail I’d just vacated, while I moved back toward the truck; and when I got closer to the end of another fruitless hunt I just stood by the river glassing the sheer nothingness of another public-fishing access; (though conveniently one less than two miles from home)? As I stood there it sounded like ‘opening day in GA’ there were so many shots ringing out thru the river bottom. An indication ‘the RUT was fully on and I wasn’t currently a part of it:cry:!’

I determined while standing there, ‘I’d had enough’ and was ready to make another trip elsewhere even though I really can’t afford one? I thought maybe I’ll try that elk ranch down below the Gravelly again, or maybe instead there’s some BMA’s north of Livingston, or maybe I’ll head toward Bob Marshal Wilderness??? …I was losing it and trying to hunt every part of this state all at once before the rut ended, and once realizing how stupid this was; needed to sit and reconfigure?

When I did though, I heard movement then spied the telltale movement of a deer heading my way and readied myself once again! …And out pops the same blasted Golden Retriever with his idiotic owner in tow:banginghe?

...The idiot and I had a nice chat after that though, while I unloaded my gun, and discussed all sorts of areas he knew about "where one might find huns and sharpies after the deer season ended" and I took his number planning on hitting them just the same (ducks too); so it wasn’t a total bust.

………………Fast Forward….

“81 deer!”:hair:

That’s how many whitetails were in this particular field: “Eighty One!!!!”

(Pics coming, for those already saying “ah, yeah right:rolleyes:?!”)
I’ll tell ya, I was about at my wits end? While I hadn’t posted in a few days it surely didn’t mean I hadn’t hunted? …Heck, you guys ought a know by now the Moe’s gonna hunt every day of the season- every season- of ‘forever’-or try to anyway?!... Jobs, rent, bills, taxes;

…”whatever?!”:biggrin2:

Who cares my trucks making funny noises in the left front wheel, who cares my ABS lights been on for days, and who cares my right tail lights out, my car insurance has lapsed again, I’m still sleeping on a mattress with no box spring nor frame, I still haven’t got a check for unemployment (having moved when applying), and who cares I won’t be able to pay this months’ utilities? This can all be dealt with come December 1st?!

‘Tis the season…

…to be in the woods’:cool:

Yeah, I took a day and a half off there to recoup, reassess, and rethink- just how many things I’ve done wrong so far, and then spent a few hours cleaning my guns, rereading maps, and digesting all the information I’d gathered in the past week since arrival; (given I knew no one, nor little if anything about hunting this region prior) and wound up heading northeast a bit above Livingston.

There was a BMA listed in a magazine on Montana and I recalled its name while in the DFG office? The owner was quoted as saying: (he) ‘really liked being in the Land Management Program’ or something to that affect and I thought: “Hmm, this is either a good thing to read or bad, given an awful lot of others would be reading it too?” I actually had read this a month ago, so wasn’t sure what to do? Should I go and meet a thousand hunters, given I already had near everywhere I went, or should I be wise and figure ‘it’ll be a zoo’ as Hank would say?

It was possible I theorized, others who read it might be thinking the same thing- it would be a zoo because it was printed in the magazine- and be discouraged and not go:confused:? Or even the local populous was likely outraged it’d been mentioned in such a prestigious publication, and might too avoid a presumed influx of trigger-happy idiots in orange:huh:?

...I further theorized I should probably quit setting myself up for failures by ‘over theorizing’ things I have no concept of, and just either pick A) go right now, or B) stay home?

MoeBirds

.....All I can say is I’m really glad I didn’t blow the poor Golden Retriever’s head off, and that the two other BMA’s in the region wouldn’t answer their phone, else I’d have never found such a Whitetail Mecca on this earth no matter how hard I tried?!

Given I’ve been solely focused on mule deer like I have, if "the man"- the one or anything close to it- that showed himself a few evenings ago comes out (160 plus easy)…well ‘muley-schmooleys’ is what I say:shoot:?

I did run into a young local guy from the region a few days ago though, and asked:”Am I wasting my time targeting big mule deer up here, or should I just shoot a nice whitetail:confused:?”

“Heck no man, this place has the best of both!”

“Oh okay.”

“Yeah, muleys just haven’t come-in yet, while whitetails are in the middle of their RUT!”

He worked at a processor and was after mule deer himself so I took his advice as promising and factual, given I’d just photographed 50 mule deer-doe, a couple young bucks ‘interested’; yet it was obvious something was amiss?

Trevor also said he had access to ‘the field of dreams’ as I began calling it to-myself, not wanting to publicly sound like a lunatic bent on destroying countless whitetail lives, as this gets folks few invites if any? And that he too “just wasn’t interested in another big whitetail?” To seem understanding, I too talked about all the 150 class whitetail I have shot (though actually hadn’t:rolleyes:) and we discussed in detail where someone might find a good mule deer buck instead, “maybe not a 30 incher, but a nice representation of the species” I liked to say?

We mulled over the possibility of ‘carpooling’, since he’s from my area and then parted company for the night.

:( I don’t know bout you, but going hunting when its 11 degrees is insane! ‘Minus-3 upon completion of a hunt’ is one thing (still not happy about that one), but to wake up and go out into digits I have never seen in GA, well? …It just takes discipline to get up, then go outside and scrape the inch thick ice off ones window in the dark, and then drive an hour to hunt.

…Being from the south I don’t currently share this discipline and have a whole list of reasons why this is a really bad idea.....Now if my longtime hunting bud Mooch were here instead of Afghanistan, and whose famous for throwing a boot at your head or worse if you don’t “get up”, I’d be more inclined, but alone in my comfy new singlewide- forget it:crazy:!...So it’s 'evening-hunts' for the most part and plus with the girls-boarding is an expense I just can’t swallow???

………………….

…Now back to those “81 deer”...it looks like I might be able to gain access, but it’s still iffy whether this includes bucks? This is torture of course and I've lost sleep for three full nights over it stressing I'd be denied or worse ‘miss’ when the opportunity came:cry:?! "The Man" was headed for this field the night I saw him, so again I'm prolly torturing myself; so better wait and see after talk with owner?

About this field- what you might find interesting is eagles- bald eagles sit in the middle of it all day long; as do about twenty deer that either ‘don’t care they’re being watched by a dozen road-hunters an hour’ or have a death-wish? But the eagles for me at least were something new; they are as I was told: “usually standing on gut piles”, an indication the place allows hunting. So based on this info I began, not like I needed encouragement after seeing 81 deer in it, searching and asking without conscience ‘who owned this land, and what if anything; a man had to do to hunt it?’

Suffice to say I’ve called a dozen times since getting their number, but they won’t answer :banginghe? I ran into a guy coming out of one of his parcels adjacent to the field last night, and he said: “they’re a bit old, you might wanna either let it ring a bunch of times and let the old gal get to the phone or just stop by and ask?”

I’d been doing the opposite, having few quarters on a payphone and let it ring maybe 3 times before losing my change. And though the guy told me where their house was, since there was still an hour of daylight left I scratched his last comment assuming I’d get stuck talking till dark with some old bat; and instead planned a trip back the next day with Suzie and Boca along - to ‘cinch the deal’ as they’re known to do (me acting more ‘the bird/meat hunter than trophy’):rolleyes:?

MoeBirds

..........I had an amazing encounter just moments before meeting this guy with ELK:cool:!!!!

(..A little out of sequence there, but there’s a reason*…)

I was headed up the road about 4 o’clock looking for a smaller BMA tract for muleys, having heard from Trevor “they aren’t in RUT just yet” and bucks are up higher right now, so I'm looking higher.

When I rounded a corner I saw to my amazement about 20 elk running in circles not a hundred yards from the road and a truck up in front of me stopped looking too:hair:?!

I jumped out and snapped a dozen shots with my camera as they stampeded took off across the field! There was confusion amongst their ranks, mostly cows, calves, and a few spikes, as to which way to go and I stood wondering what was going on:huh:?

....It appears, now looking back on it, the guy had just dropped one and though I didn’t hear the report, having been listening to music, his rapid actions racing toward where they'd been indicated he had.

Being of course much more ethical and legal minded I did what anyone in my position would do and put it in reverse and punched it a hundred yards till I could find a place to turn around?! I nearly took out a guy’s mailbox in the Starsky and Hutch move I'd always wanted to try, and raced fifty miles an hour paralleling the herd that was keeping up. They were way up a mountain, but moving toward that parcel of public ground I'd just passed and determined would be ‘great bird hunting but not much else?’ NOW I slammed on the brakes and raced over signed-in scribbling my name so bad they'll never be able to read it, grabbed the gun and locked the truck, and RAN (first time in years) up the mountain to where I thought I could cut them off:eek:!

As I neared that fateful mark where I actually die during one of these posts, the elk instead chose to foolishly turn north and over the mountain instead of my way and to their demise….BOOM, BOOM, BOOM:shoot::shoot:!,...about twenty shots rang out; as apparently some other dudes where over there too? I could hear contact smacks of actual hits “pack-tow” and at least a dozen! It was likely pandemonium and in fact a slaughter fest it was too. I’d think at the speed they were going at least half of these shots were either clean misses or follow-up shots on wounded elk.

As I stood hyperventilating I was kinda glad they hadn’t come my way as this wasn’t hunting, but just plain old shooting? No work really, except the mad climb, it was me in my truck hauling tail wanting desperately to kill an elk and well...?

Those silly elk, if they’d only come my way at least ¾ of them would still be alive? Maybe even all of them as the scenario would be either A) I missed the whole herd, B) I hit one and wounded it, or C) I never got off a shot and they trampled me into the snow where my body wasn’t discovered till Spring thaw?

At any rate I felt better having not taken an elk under such circumstances and told myself it would be better to take one in 'a more traditional setting'; whatever that might be? I get like this sometimes, it’s a mental disorder possibly and a good psychologist could probably properly diagnose the issue? I go from being an unlawful idiot one day to a holier than thou jerk the next (past posts are proof of this):rolleyes:.

It’s like there are little starbursts of adrenaline in my cerebral cortex; telling me to kill game at whatever cost, and then a subdued and more logical set of flare-ups later where ethics sneaks back in and I get a guilty conscience; then begin over analyzing things and making them sound whatever’s convenient at the time to help me sleep afterward? It’s all likely just another of a dozen side effects of being raised Catholic, so I don’t spend any money on doctors to find out, or much more time than what I just did; before going back out into the world to do all over again.

:biggrin2:

In fact it’s possible tomorrow I could even shoot one of these dang things crossing a road?

....As I stood there contemplating all of this, I began to think I was being watched? I lowered my binos and scanned the orange and white capped horizon and realized standing 300 yards out was a huge band of antelope I hadn't even seen till just then and every single one of them had their eyes' on me!

I'm not sure if they were wagering on how long it would take for me to lose consciousness so they could run over and stomp me to death or whether they knew I'd already filled my tag, but they just stood there content I wasn’t a threat and I left the slope before they moved more than an acre in casual retreat.

With an hour-and-a-half of daylight left, I went back to ‘deer hunting’, driving back down the mountain toward the larger tract of BMA.
………………

Once there I hunted till dark*, but saw only a few does and a 130 class that ‘I passed’ as I thought there might be a bigger boy behind him, but weren’t?

*This unfortunately is skipping a hilarious part that will be in a book, but certainly not fit for the forum - of which there are dozens of these by the way?

The girls and I are headed back tomorrow, but not to hunt necessarily-though we prolly will for birds. Instead I take them with on all my visits to folks for access -to not easily obtainable lands.

They’ve never let me down yet, hangin their cute little heads out the window and just begging for an ear scratching, and I hope to report back after a hunt on ‘the field of dreams?’

Later,

G :fine:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Moe, as usual, you just plain amaze me! I can't wait on the pictures!! Wish I could send you some good 'ole GA thermals, dang if I could handle those temps!! Take Care & keep it up, darlin' you got a lot of folks pulling for you!! :cool: :biggrin2:

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
A great read as usual! You load the girls up and see about getting permission to hunt that fields of dreams :cool: Thank you for giving us a chance to share your adventures through your post :) It wouldn't be half as good if anyone else were telling it :cheers: