It's Time! Who all has some traps out???

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Mine are dyed and waxed and ready ! I’ll probably wait til after deer season myself . And try to keep some in the ground til turkey season . I’ve had my best luck on the coyotes in February and March in my limited experience

CritterCatcher

I've got 8 or 9 sets out not including the DPs I put out to give the raccoons something to get into besides my predator sets. Four sets are specifically targeting cats. The rest coyotes.

I found a fox pen to sell to this year. Hopefully I can make my gas money back at least.

Doug B.

I've got 8 or 9 sets out not including the DPs I put out to give the raccoons something to get into besides my predator sets. Four sets are specifically targeting cats. The rest coyotes.

I found a fox pen to sell to this year. Hopefully I can make my gas money back at least.
That's great! I'm glad you are feeling good enough to get out there again.

When you say targeting cats are you making brush piles, or cubbies, or flashy dirt holes, or are you just making sets where you traditionally catch cats? The reason I ask is because I usually catch 10 or 15 cats just in my regular coyote set. I keep thinking I might try to do something different to target cats more.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'm gonna head home tmrw to see if all of new gear is in...
Cant wait to get it in service...
Tonite I switched my deer huntin tactaics up... I'm sittin in a fresh blind I set up along side a good plot with good deer racoon feeder. Gonna sit alittle while after dark with my predator light and small cal.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I just got done walking my "back 80" here at the house trying to find ANY excuse to set traps...

No dice. ?

2dye4

When you say targeting cats are you making brush piles, or cubbies, or flashy dirt holes, or are you just making sets where you traditionally catch cats? The reason I ask is because I usually catch 10 or 15 cats just in my regular coyote set. I keep thinking I might try to do something different to target cats more.
Doug,
Got some stuff made by Cavens I ordered on a whelm and it attracts cats well. Can’t think of the name of it right now but it’s Silver something. Will take a picture of it and send to you tomorrow.

Doug B.

Doug,
Got some stuff made by Cavens I ordered on a whelm and it attracts cats well. Can’t think of the name of it right now but it’s Silver something. Will take a picture of it and send to you tomorrow.
Awesome! Thanks! I love catching cats and I would love to step up my game on them. I have spots I set every year cause I have traditionally caught cats in these spots. I actually catch a fair amount of cats in my coyote sets but I think I'm ready to actually target them.

CritterCatcher

Flashy dirt holes (one double dirt hole), a box cubby with 220 (there are never any pets in this area), and one very different set that I saw Clint Locklear make that uses a stuffed toy of all things. Only caught coons in it so far, but the set makes sense if you know how cats act.

The toy is set on the side of a two track, back into the brush about 18 inches. The brush needs to be made thick enough that the cat cannot see the toy unless he is standing right at the flagging (a CD) that I have set up about seven or eight feet out directly in front of the set. The trap is bedded right at the opening to the right. For some reason, when given the choice, a cat will hug the right side of anything they go into.

The idea is, he will see the CD, and come to it. He'll see that it's nothing he can eat and lose interest in it and start looking around to see if there's anything else to get into. He'll spot the toy and go investigate it.

I forgot to add that I put a little lure in somewhere near the toy, just to give him something else to investigate. Castor works good.

Attachments

• SET20211202104938.jpg
    SET20211202104938.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 24

Doug B.

Flashy dirt holes (one double dirt hole), a box cubby with 220 (there are never any pets in this area), and one very different set that I saw Clint Locklear make that uses a stuffed toy of all things. Only caught coons in it so far, but the set makes sense if you know how cats act.

The toy is set on the side of a two track, back into the brush about 18 inches. The brush needs to be made thick enough that the cat cannot see the toy unless he is standing right at the flagging (a CD) that I have set up about seven or eight feet out directly in front of the set. The trap is bedded right at the opening to the right. For some reason, when given the choice, a cat will hug the right side of anything they go into.

The idea is, he will see the CD, and come to it. He'll see that it's nothing he can eat and lose interest in it and start looking around to see if there's anything else to get into. He'll spot the toy and go investigate it.

I forgot to add that I put a little lure in somewhere near the toy, just to give him something else to investigate. Castor works good.
That is a very interesting set. I will try that out.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Is the CD hanging on a string or just laying on the ground?

willie1971

looking forward to seeing your pics. hope to set some this weekend. look like a dry weather stretch next week, but we shall see. good luck everyone!

CritterCatcher

Is the CD hanging on a string or just laying on the ground?

It's hanging. I have some fiberglass tent poles put together and stuck into the ground with the CD tied to it with fishing line. If there is a branch hanging in the right place, you can use it too, but it has to be straight out from the toy.