First Catch, and an odd lesson!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm back in the game with a half a dozen fresh sets at The Goat Pen. We have a big bobcat hanging around, and there are a couple of trail cam rumors of a black Yote in the area, but we ain't seen him yet on our place.

A rumor is enough to get me started...

First catch of the year for me, off to an early lead on @fatback with this ol possum!!

21817.jpeg

Now here's the odd lesson...

I made a set in some bare dirt with a nice root poking up for a scent post. Got it all made, and dripped a little Predator Frenzy onto the root.

Well, a large moth came fluttering out of the root with the lure all over him, and bounced all over the set, and on top of my trap.

I jokingly told my partner, "watch and see, thissun' will get dug up".

My prediction turned out to be no joke at all, that's exactly what happened...

21813.jpeg

Funny, the things you "know without knowing" sometimes...

I'll go and remake the possum, and pull the dig up this afternoon.

Trapping season is on..

Doug B.

Pretty silver fox! Nice catch! I hope you get the bobcat and the black coyote!

Looks like fatback has got some catching up to do!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Could you tell what dug the trap? Congrats on the catch! They were certainly everywhere this am as I was driving

All I've seen yet is the pictures, my pard checks em every morning. The Investigation will commence this afternoon.

He says there's no good print.

Could be anybody in that area, we got possums bobcats coons foxes yotes, and stray dogs and cats.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Got everything fixed up and back in bizness.

The dug up trap has been pulled, and thrown in the repair/wash pile.

I moved about 25' from the dug up and set a new trap on a clump of grass, along the same trail.

I "fluffed the duff" in the possum catch circle and remade the set. Ran off a bunch of guineas that were all over it as I was leaving.

I made one more new set at a fence crossing, a walk thru between two big clumps of broom with a different scent on each side.

Now I just need a little luck!

fatback

I’ll happily relinquish the possum catching title this year to whomever wants it. I did go back and look at my notes and I caught 18 possums in a few weeks last season.

Of course based on how the turkey poult survival looked on my place this year maybe getting rid of those nest predators has made a little difference. I’m still looking for a particular deer on my normal trapping grounds so it might be a few weeks before I get any steel in the ground.good luck to all that have already set traps

Doug B.

I’ll happily relinquish the possum catching title this year to whomever wants it. I did go back and look at my notes and I caught 18 possums in a few weeks last season.

Of course based on how the turkey poult survival looked on my place this year maybe getting rid of those nest predators has made a little difference. I’m still looking for a particular deer on my normal trapping grounds so it might be a few weeks before I get any steel in the ground.good luck to all that have already set traps
Don't wait too long! You don't want to loose your title!

2dye4

Proofs in the pudn!!