IWB holster recommendations

Rabun

Hi GON. I’m in need of two IWB holsters. One for a XDm Compact 3.8” .40 (this has a short mag and extended mag. Would carry w the short mag mostly if that makes a difference w holster selection)

The other is for a 642 airweight w crimson trace laser grips.

I’ve looked at all kinds on line but can’t tell what would work best. I would like leather on the body side for comfort and worn on the right side.

Thanks!

transfixer

There are a zillion choices out there, from cheap to kinda pricey, for leather holsters for IWB carry I prefer ones like the McDaniel II from Andrews Custom leather, he sometimes has holsters pre-made in stock, ( each one of his holsters is made by hand) if you have to have one made it can take 4 or 5 months sometimes, ( he stays busy) also Milt Sparks summer specials are great holsters, and can usually be found ready to ship, all of these are all leather, you can find holsters with leather backs and kydex front sections for less money, I've just never cared for that style.

If you go with all leather, try to get one made with rough side out , the smooth side of the leather will be against the gun, reducing wear on the gun, and making for a smoother draw, the rough side out also helps keep it in place IWB,

You also want one with a metal reinforcement around the top opening, makes re-holstering easy,

Steven037

I’ve owned several both leather and kydex. Bad part for me is I’m left handed so can’t really got to a store try one on. Usually have to order something and see if it works. I’ve had good luck with Black Point. Still use a couple. My current everyday carry is a Sig 320 x compact with spare 17 round magazine in a Tier One axis elite with a mag carrier. Super comfy for appendix carry and conceals perfect. If you don’t know it’s there you won’t see it. It’s pricey but worth it to me. 255C65EF-3BEE-4FF4-B3D8-0CDD749BAF00.jpeg

Big7

The Oracle
Don't overlook Uncle Mikes.
They make IWB that feels like velvet.
My old EDC, IWB didn't hurt or rub you raw and don't wear the firearm like most do.

And.. They are not very expensive.
I carried this one for 12 years, at least.
Still good.

This is more than likely the right size. (15)
You can get right or left hand and they double as an OWB on the opposite side.
Not very secure OWB but it works clipped to a decent belt if you're just messing around the range or hunting camp.

I'd give them a 4.5 out of 5
Took these pics 5 mins ago.20220414_191856.jpg20220414_191906.jpg20220414_191923.jpg20220414_192106.jpg

Last edited:

Rabun

Thanks for the feedback! How are the crossbreed holsters? I used to read good things about them...did they fall out of favor or just better options out there?

Rabun

I’ve got a desantis pocket holster for my 642 that works well. Would like an IWB with that that had some retention

bighonkinjeep

When carrying a mid or full sized auto like a G19 or G20 IWB I like the Alien Gear Cloak Tucks at 5:00. Not leather but way better breathable material on the body side and a slightly grippy material that wont let sweat through to the firearm on the other with clips that are adjustable for height and cant. A darn fine super comfy holster. Dont fall for the "Modular"mumbo jumbo they call the "shape shift" holster. Sounds like a good idea but not. Too many reasons ro list but it was a hundred dollar mistake. For my sig 365 (probably closer to the size of yours) I love the Alien gear "grip tuck" holster. Similar to uncle mikes thats waaay improved with a heavy material to hold the top open, a grippy but comfortable outside so it can also be used as a pocket holster ( i remove the clip for pocket carry) or it can be used IWB or appendix and the single clip is adjustable for height and cant. Its a lot easier to put on and take off than the cloak tucks or most other iwb styles and is my new favorite. Holsters are a personal choice. My brother is much smaller than me and liles the comfort but doesn't like the width of the " cloak tucks". For him they wrap too far around his waist. With a couple of boot boxes full of stuff I dont wear The AGs get worn daily.

Last edited:

deerslayer357

I have had great service from a crossbreed supertuck. Used to daily carry a Springfield emp for 4-5 years. Kydex cracked from taking gun out and laying on my back under truck- sent it to them and they replaced for free as part of their lifetime warranty. Have zero complaints