Jacksonville saltwater help...

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I've received the generous offer of a free place to stay with a dock and a lift for my bay boat. It is in the Switzerland/Alpine groves area south on the saint john's river.
It seems like an 8 or 10 mile (or maybe a little more) run to Mayport inlet. That's not a problem in itself but the downtown area with about 5 bridges and no wake zones may kill the idea of a regular run. I may have to consider leaving the boat on the trailer and trailering to ramps either around jacksonville or saint augustine.
My question is how far up (south) on the Saint John's from the downtown area can I find productive inshore fishing for reds and trout and flounder et cetera? Would I have to consistently get past the downtown area by water to fish productively? I imagine the fish move upriver a little further in the Winter, but this is not my quest right now. Would like to get in on some of the mullet run action this fall.
How much of that downtown area around the bridges is no wake zone? Maybe 1 large area or several short zones?
Looking for input, info and ideas...
Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20230620_170756_Maps.jpg

1eyefishing

Looks like the entire ride would be in a manatee slow zone? :sick:

Screenshot_20230620_173520_Drive.jpg

st_johns_river_zones.gif

Saltwater fishing back this far? Or no...

1eyefishing

Solid but complicated info here...
But how's the fishing in these areas if don't want to pass thru?

Screenshot_20230620_175633_Drive.jpg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I know that you don`t want to go that far up, but I`ve caught reds and flounder (not consistently) in the Palatka area on the St Johns, and have seen flounder in the lower Oklawaha River. Manatees were a common sight too.

GeorgiaBob

You do NOT want to attempt daily runs to the Atlantic from the Fleming Island/St Johns area of the river. The run will be at least three hours EACH WAY if you comply with all the speed restrictions. Plus, that entire stretch is tidal, so you would have to time both outgoing and inbound trips.

Depending on offshore weather, tide, moon, and temps, you could find very good fishing on the river for many of the same fish you're looking to catch offshore. My suggestion is try BOTH. Trailer your boat to a ramp on the ICW near one of the inlets and fish offshore a few times, but also spend some time on the St John's River and all the little creeks around Fleming Island.

1eyefishing

I know that you don`t want to go that far up, but I`ve caught reds and flounder (not consistently) in the Palatka area on the St Johns, and have seen flounder in the lower Oklawaha River. Manatees were a common sight too.

That is certainly encouraging info regarding the area I will be in...Thx.

You do NOT want to attempt daily runs to the Atlantic from the Fleming Island/St Johns area of the river. The run will be at least three hours EACH WAY if you comply with all the speed restrictions. Plus, that entire stretch is tidal, so you would have to time both outgoing and inbound trips.

Depending on offshore weather, tide, moon, and temps, you could find very good fishing on the river for many of the same fish you're looking to catch offshore. My suggestion is try BOTH. Trailer your boat to a ramp on the ICW near one of the inlets and fish offshore a few times, but also spend some time on the St John's River and all the little creeks around Fleming Island.
Thank you for the confirmation.
I'm used to running 8 to 10 miles down a big bend river but at 40+ with no speed zones.
My thoughts are quickly turning to trailering to St.A.
That the fishing is good around fleming island that bodes well for me also. I was just unsure if that was still salty enough for trout and red fish and flounder? Or is that fishing for freshwater species?
Thanks a gain...

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Forgot to mention, totally fresh water there but there is a little tidal influence. And there is a doozy of a shrimp run too. Can`t remember what time of the year.

Big7

The Oracle
I'd stick with trailering the boat over to the Atlantic side.

A LOT of good fishing from Atlantic Beach on down to St. Augustine and even out of Ponce Inlet.

I used to fish a lot on that stretch before I moved to the Gulf side to live. Now I just go there because I know the Gulf and Tampa Bay areas better.

GOOD LUCK !!

I'll buy the gas..
:biggrin2:

slow motion

@
I've received the generous offer of a free place to stay with a dock and a lift for my bay boat. It is in the Switzerland/Alpine groves area south on the saint john's river.
It seems like an 8 or 10 mile (or maybe a little more) run to Mayport inlet. That's not a problem in itself but the downtown area with about 5 bridges and no wake zones may kill the idea of a regular run. I may have to consider leaving the boat on the trailer and trailering to ramps either around jacksonville or saint augustine.
My question is how far up (south) on the Saint John's from the downtown area can I find productive inshore fishing for reds and trout and flounder et cetera? Would I have to consistently get past the downtown area by water to fish productively? I imagine the fish move upriver a little further in the Winter, but this is not my quest right now. Would like to get in on some of the mullet run action this fall.
How much of that downtown area around the bridges is no wake zone? Maybe 1 large area or several short zones?
Looking for input, info and ideas...
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1234319
You leaving Wakulla?

slow motion

Pulled out last june.
Rent went from $350/mo to $650 with no sewer hookup.
Was thinking you had another spot not far from Rocky's. We'll hook up one day and you can teach me how to fish. Good luck on the east coast brother.

1eyefishing

Never came to fruition...
Still looking for all options.
And I can still get a room or a cabin at fish camp if need be.
Just might do that real soon.

kingfish

I grew up and fished Jax but it's been a long time. When you get way up the river, salinity or lack there of determines what you'll catch. The shrimp run starts cranking up shortly and will last up through the fall IF, the salinity stays favorable. Your friend here is YouTube. There are a ton of really informative channels, I'd start with kayakers and work my way up. The Florida Sportsman Forum is a great source of info, but I'm hearing it won't be around much longer. You can also do a Google search with your original posts as questions and I bet you'll get a ton of info. Good luck.

jmac7469

Live Shrimp, float rigs, along the white shell area rocks. Be careful on approach the rocks come up fast. Stay about 15 to 20 feet off the rocks and float live shrimp. The rocks are between blount island and sister's creek on the north side of the river. Trailer to mayport to put in. Stop at B n M for bait and ice. They sell ice in bulk baskets its cheaper that way. If you want to stay south find the docks where it drops from 4ish feet to 8 plus feet. Dead shrimp or live mid minnows. Or set up around the doctors inlet bridge. Again dead shrimp.

jNick

You need to look up a guy on YouTube that has a channel named “Jeff at battlefish”. He is in Jacksonville and posts vids of him fishing all of those areas daily.

Here’s one of his vids:

1eyefishing

Thanks everyone!
After a couple of schedule delays it looks like I am headed down thursday...
Wife trip and visiting her family but we're gonna fish...
Will report...