Jacksonville saltwater help...

MudDucker

Staff member
Been there, done that, got too many t-shirts. Avoid running the river to the inlet at all costs!

After years of frustration and continuing additional restrictions, we started going to St. Augustine and launching out of the very nice public ramp across from Camanche Cove marina on the way to Vilano Beach. Easy in an out there.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Day one fishing: put the boat in the river here in switzerland and picked up some shrimp at black creek marina. Fished for half an hour with the wives on board and a storm came up.
It almost turned into one of those days as I noticed 1 of my bunks floating alongside the ramp after I launched the boat. Lucky for me. I was able to retrieve it and drop it in. My pick up bed and go fishing. But I knew I had to fix the bunk before I trailer the boat.
Rush the women back to the house before the rain, and hit the ramp. And then the hardware store and then fixed my bunk and loaded the boat right in time for the storm.
That could have gone a lot worse, and I came out pretty good on that deal.
Hit my wife's cousin's yacht club for lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon at the house.
Make port tomorrow via b and m bait shop...

Can't hide money!!!

20230804_182259.jpg

100_0053.jpg

crackerdave

Be aware if you put in at Mayport and head out to the jetties: The outgoing tide is really strong.
B&M Bait and Tackle is good folks to talk to about the fishing.

Rabun

1eye I’ve had the same thing happen to me dropping my boat in. I back off the trailer and notice a big board hung under the boat. Took a minute to realize what it was. I almost just left it thinking it was a trash board. Fortunately I was leaving the boat at the lake for a while so I was able to bring trailer home and fix it. Ended up replacing the two back bunks, new carpet and brackets. I through bolted and counter sunk the new ones. Like most of my boat projects turned into a bigger job than I initially thought. Glad you were able to correct on the fly so to speak. I swear I’ve had more problems w trailers than boats. Very Nice place you’re staying at! Can you moor your boat there? Good luck!

Last edited:

slow motion

About time for an update brother. Fishing, sightseeing, food pics, etc. Don't hold out on us.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Man, it got so hot I had to give up... I fished 1 day around mayport and only caught jacks and catfish. Moved in on some hot tarpon chasing to hit em up with a swim bait when I got chased off by the navy. Signs up on the property saying no trespassing but didn't mention anything about how close with a boat... We were two or three cast lenghts away from the rubble and my fishing map said fish here. Oh, well, I never argue with a man with a .50 cal on the front of his boat.
Church thermometer said 103° on the way back to the house.
My host lived 45 minutes to an hour from the ramps I wanted to fish from, and it just wasn't worth the 2 hours on the road to try and fish 2 or 3 hours before it got so hot in the daytime heat.
Spent 1 day riding around St Augustine looking at some accommodations and road down to matanzas inlet to check out devil's elbow fish camp.
Hung around the pool a day or two and came home a day early.
Seems like every few years I get down to Florida during July or August just to remind myself why I should never to go to Florida in July or August.

Mountain camp has been awesome the past 2 or 3 weeks! :bounce:
Had to throw on an extra blanket last night!

Sorry to leave yall wondering, but had only disappointment to report.

Darkhorse

We fished over a decade out of Jacksonville. My wife loved the place that's why I kept going back.
There were only 2 seasons for us, Cobia and King Mackeral. Our main focus was fishing the King tournaments.
We kept our boat at B&M, back then a nice man named Stan owned it and his family ran it. One day his wife brought us some red shirts with B&M fishing team printed on them. Said, "You've earned them."
Cobia can be hit or miss just depends. Live eels are a favorite food.
Live pogies for the Kings. But you need to know how to rig cigar minnows in case you can't net any pogies. Our largest Cobia was 65 pounds. Largest King right at 50 pounds.
Personally I prefer fishing out of Marathon Key or the lower east coast of Fla. Make that the lower half of Fla. either coast.
I also like the bottom fishing in the Destin Ft. Walten beach area.
All in all fishing out of Jax just never really impressed me.