kayak katchin' schoolies

RamblinWreck

Got on a nearby water this morning with the fairy wand and a ghost pearl color Spinbait 80 G-fix. The bass were schooling and feeding on shad all around me, and I caught a bunch letting it sink about 5-7 seconds, then reeling slow. I had a big one bust me off, she got around a snag and I couldn't get her off, then she rubbed the 8 lb FC Sniper flouro in two, and she wuz gone. Hope she got my spybait out of her mouth.
A few victims (all fish released):

lbass180619_5.jpglbass180619_4.jpglbass180619_3.jpglbass180619_2.jpglbass180619_1.jpg

jocko755

Got to love when they are schooling! Was that side scan helpful? Or just casts to blow ups?

I throw a ned rig slow sinking and watch the line take off!

RamblinWreck

Got to love when they are schooling! Was that side scan helpful? Or just casts to blow ups?

I throw a ned rig slow sinking and watch the line take off!

I was using the sidevu to locate bream beds, brushpiles, and blowdows. I marked a lot of fish and noted the common depth. I did take a pic or two, but they are still on the mem card; have not had time to import and post.

I noticed all the schooling, so I quit scanning, anchored off a main point on the break - line and just started throwing the spybait. I was not chasing them, nor throwing at blow ups, unless there was one close to the boat. I just fished the structure and find the depth by varying the countdown until I get bit. That didn't take long. When they bite like that, I will just sit on them until they stop bending my rod. I love it.

If I cast to a blow-up, I just let it sink a sec or two and start my retrieve. I always watch the line for hard thumps when letting it sink. That is one of the features I like about the DR Spinbait, it sinks perfectly level with a rocking motion fish like to bite.

Going again in the AM. Any kayakers want to go - PM me. I have some extra lures.

RamblinWreck

Went back today - lots of company, bluebird sky, high pressure moving in, post front gusty winds, hot - still managed to catch 5 decent fish, no trophies, but good rod-bending fun with the spybait on the "wand" (med-lite fast 7' StC Mojo Yak rod with 2500-size Shimano Ci4+ reel, 8 lb FC Sniper line, love it).
lspot2.jpglspot2.jpg

jocko755

Nice !

Hoping to hit it this week. Hope they are still schooling. Sure wish I could launch at sun up!