Killing a hog without a gun

Tugboat1

So I came to Ireland for a visit and ended up a Covid refugee for the foreseeable future. After repeated praise of true southern BBQ, my hosts told me to put up or shut up. Fair enough.
Located and had some nice seasoned silver beech hardwood delivered. Decent hardwood is hard to come by and quite pricey.
I finally negotiated with a local farmer for 30ish pound Tamworth hog I'm due to pick up, live, next week. Apparently it's against the law to kill and butcher an animal without being a licensed abattoir.
I harvest quite a few hogs at home night hunting and with a .22 mag. Clean kill shots to the ear. Here, I can't even find anyone with a pellet gun so I'm trying to figure out a way to dispatch this piglet cleanly and humanely, with minimal noise last the neighbors get upset. My first thought was cut both sides of the throat but since I'll be scalding and smoking the whole pig, I am concerned about the aesthetics in presentation to folks who have never seen such. Plus, my pig sticker is back at camp and I only have a short fixed blade I brought with my fishing gear. My second thought was to give a good whack to the forehead with a 4 lb Sledge hammer to stun and then drive a spike through from ear to ear. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated from the collective wisdom.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You mean the farmer that sold you the pig doesn't have a means for dispatching critters? I applaud your efforts, but how much meat you gonna get from a 30lb pig? I'm sure you have a plan, but if I was gonna impress someone with southern bbq, I'd be smoking a nice fat butt.

Tugboat1

The farmer won't kill it and I really enjoy a suckling pig and a whole hog presentation. I'm feeding five people and believe it was or not, I've been to six or seven butchers and they've never heard of a boston butt. All the pork is industrial and comes precut to them. Now beef or lamb is a different story.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588687054994.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588687054994.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 51

transfixer

That is somewhat of a predicament , I suppose your idea of a hammer to the head and a spike or large nail through the ear or through the top of its head into the brain is your only option ?

DrK

LOL! Looks like you are in for an adventure.

Back in the old country people would get a flat of whiskey and shove it down the throat of a goat to get it drunk and then slaughter it. That was a funny sight and a least gave the goat a memorable way to go. Not sure what will happen when you slam the liquor down a pig's throat. If it likes beer you may be able to give him enough to get him dead drunk.

Electric shock is another thing that comes to mind. Will it make the pig squeal? I don't know.

A big sword, cleaver or guillotine to chop the head off like they did Mary Queen of Scots might work too.

Tugboat1

Stun it with the hammer then cut its throat.
Yeah Nick, that's probably the way I'll go. I've cut the neck before and it took a few minutes for them to give up the ghost. You think a spike through the ears would be quicker since it's a small one?

Tugboat1

That is somewhat of a predicament , I suppose your idea of a hammer to the head and a spike or large nail through the ear or through the top of its head into the brain is your only option ?
Well I have a machete.

Tugboat1

I've always wanted to try it Rambo style. Wrap a KABAR at the end of a wood stick as a makeshift spear and ambush one from up on a tree. :huh:
As an aside, I use an electric bike when hunting at home and been thinking a calvary charge on a group in a food plot with a spear would be a rush.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
In the immortal words of Roy D. Mercer "How big a boy are ya'"?
Choke it to death.

Tugboat1

LOL! Looks like you are in for an adventure.

Back in the old country people would get a flat of whiskey and shove it down the throat of a goat to get it drunk and then slaughter it. That was a funny sight and a least gave the goat a memorable way to go. Not sure what will happen when you slam the liquor down a pig's throat. If it likes beer you may be able to give him enough to get him dead drunk.

Electric shock is another thing that comes to mind. Will it make the pig squeal? I don't know.

A big sword, cleaver or guillotine to chop the head off like they did Mary Queen of Scots might work too.
Now that's an idea! I just finished a big batch of ginger beer ( drinking is expensive here) so maybe I can coax it to have a swig.