killing non venomous snakes in Goeogia

basshappy

BANNED
Hopefully those who feel the urge to kill a snake for personal justification are enjoying the fruits of their labor. Snake meat is quite tasty cooked over an open fire.

Baroque Brass

Just remember, if you move a rattlesnake much over a mile from where you find it, it`ll probably die. Males have a home range of around a half mile and females is about 1/4 mile.
Now that’s a fact I didn’t know. Same with gopher tortoises.

Baroque Brass

Got a friend that kills any and every snake, location and species not withstanding. No one will ever change his mind.

DannyW

Old article (May 2022) but still relevant.

I never understand why some humans kill a snake for apparently no reason.

Worse are the humans who attempt to justify killing a venomous snake because it MAY one day possibly bite their dog, kid, friend, spouse, etc.

Never had a dog bit, have you? I have.

Sorry, I let the non-venomous snake go now but I would feel mighty stupid if I let a venomous snake live and it bit one my toddler grandkids playing in the yard.

I take that back. I would be near suicidal crazy if it bit one of my grandkids.

I would merely feel stupid if it got ME walking outside at night to get the mail.

HermanMerman

In just my lifetime I`ve seen an unbelievable decline in the diamondback. Up until I was around 25 I had only seen one canebrake. From the late 70`s on, I`ve been seeing more canebrakes and in places where I had only seen diamondbacks and pygmies before. I fully understand the need to protect home, pets, and children, but it will be a sad day for some when this big symbol of the Deep South is gone for good.

I’ve only ever killed one, and it had been run over and half its hide peeled off so I figure I was doing it a favor. I’ve always just tipped my hat and given them plenty of space when I came across them. I don’t know how I would feel finding one in the yard, though…never had that problem. Having them hanging around in the woods makes you pay a little more attention as you go, and I kind of like that feeling.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Here`s six different ones that I moved out of the yard. Good many more but they were before cell phones. Last one was in the carport. First one was 5 feet long and one of the biggest canebrakes I`ve ever run across. Saw it crawling across the yard as I was looking out the kitchen window.

yard snake 1.jpgyard snake 2.jpgyard snake 3.jpgyard snake 4.jpgyard snake 5.jpgyard snake6.jpg

Baroque Brass

A friend’s Jack Russell terrier was killed by a timber rattler.

buckpasser

Here`s six different ones that I moved out of the yard. Good many more but they were before cell phones. Last one was in the carport. First one was 5 feet long and one of the biggest canebrakes I`ve ever run across. Saw it crawling across the yard as I was looking out the kitchen window.

View attachment 1226897View attachment 1226898View attachment 1226899View attachment 1226900View attachment 1226901View attachment 1226902

Cool pics! That moccasin looks kinda dead though, as he should be.

Robert28

View attachment 1226897View attachment 1226898View attachment 1226899View attachment 1226900View attachment 1226901View attachment 1226902
In my Indiana Jones voice “that’s not a copperhead, this is a copperhead” :bounce:

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 42

buckpasser

@Nicodemus

As we talked about before, I find it strange that I’m right down the road and we just don’t seem to ever have copperheads. You see many around your place?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Cool pics! That moccasin looks kinda dead though, as he should be.

@Nicodemus

As we talked about before, I find it strange that I’m right down the road and we just don’t seem to ever have copperheads. You see many around your place?

Very few. Ironically, I had one pop my snake boot while turkey hunting about 10 years ago and although I was in Southwest Georgia I could see Florida. I probably wasn't far from you.

Baroque Brass

HermanMerman

Jack Russell Terriers will attempt to go toe to toe with anything on this planet. Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That’s a hoss! You could have made a jacket and a pair of pants and boots out of that one!

7 feet 4 inches, not counting 3 inches of rattles. That`s just the back and sides of the snake. I cut the belly skin off. It was twice as wide before I went to cutting. One of my buddy`s thought it was a gator I was skinning at first.

Robert28

7 feet 4 inches, not counting 3 inches of rattles. That`s just the back and sides of the snake. I cut the belly skin off. It was twice as wide before I went to cutting. One of my buddy`s thought it was a gator I was skinning at first.
5” more and you’d have tied the world record I believe. Georgia had some huge rattlesnakes for whatever reason. Seems like every other year someone post pics of a big’n.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
5” more and you’d have tied the world record I believe. Georgia had some huge rattlesnakes for whatever reason. Seems like every other year someone post pics of a big’n.

Record book says 8 feet even is the biggest, but there was one in South Carolina killed that 8 feet 11 1/2 inches long with it`s head and part of its neck gone. Florida has some big ones too. First one was supposedly 11 feet long. The other two, I don`t know how long they are.eleven feet, one quarter inch long.jpgbig boys.jpg

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I would think that if one loves in an area with venomous reptiles that one would train their dog(s) to back away when the rattler warning is given. Seems like a very easy training exercise. As much as one should teach their children to look eyes wide open, stand on a log and don't stop over it, etc, one should train their Canine to keep distance.

They don`t always rattle. Sometimes you have to really rile one up a lot before it will make a sound. Just depends on that particular snake. Don`t ever rely on one to give you a warning.