Knee surgery

Havana Dude

I had made mention in JT’s, Live From The Tree thread, about my knee going out, and ultimately needing knee surgery. Well, today was the day. Everything went well according to the surgeon, he did say I have some mild degenerative stuff going on in there, but said it wasn’t bad for 58. With as much as I abused it in my youth, knee boarding, walking on steep roofs building houses, not thinking twice about jumping off the tailgate, I really don’t have a legit complaint. NOW………….our pharmacy( we learned today) has stopped taking our insurance. So, I’ve been on the phone most of the afternoon, taking to voicemails etc., trying to get my meds switched to a new pharmacy, to no avail. I suppose it’s my fault ultimately for not knowing this earlier, but this just happened 1-1-24. I’ve been sitting in the deer woods, trying to hunt as much as I could, because I can’t during the recovery phase. Now, it’s just a dull ache, nothing to cry over, but I may not have the best nights sleep. Besides the med issue though, all went well.

Toliver

Don't try to overdo it even if you aren't hurting much. I had arthroscopic surgery back in 2002 for a broken knee cap. I was able to walk and we moved the same month of the surgery. I was loading trucks and carrying boxes and all sorts of things. I had to go in when it swelled up and they had to drain a bunch of fluid off of it. And of course now I live with near constant knee pain. Take it easy and let it heal.

Core Lokt

Glad it went well man. Follow the rules and most people are back up and going in no time. Strange about your meds. I can call my Dr. and have them sent to any pharmacy I choose at any time. Good luck man.

flatwoods

Glad it went well man. Follow the rules and most people are back up and going in no time. Strange about your meds. I can call my Dr. and have them sent to any pharmacy I choose at any time. Good luck man.
That's a nice option to have.
I haven't found a Dr that you can call and actually have any one answer the phone.

GeorgiaBob

Follow your doctor's advice on rehab - that will make a very big difference in your recovery.

If you are still unable to get Rx pain meds for tonight there are options. My suggestion is generous application of hydrocortisone cream both above the knee bandage and below the knee.

PLUS.

Drink hot green tea with honey, lemon and (if you have no other meds in your system) a few ounces of whiskey. The green tea does "calm" the body. Honey has analgesic and antibacterial properties and it does not interfere with any antibiotics you were given at the hospital. The whiskey won't fix anything, but it does dull the ache. Remember the old joke, "repeat as needed!"

That concoction will not eliminate the pain, but it might help you get some rest tonight.

Havana Dude

Don`t overdo it or push the limits. You don`t want to end up like I did.
I won’t Nic. Our rut is just now starting to crank up. We’ve got some bad weather coming next few days, I’m actually hoping will slow it down or curtail it. But this is more important than hunting, at least that’s what I’m telling myself. Thanks for the comment.

i did at least manage to get one 8 point during all this mess, and had to deal with it all alone. Normally no big deal, but the knee didn’t help any. I’ll heed your advice, thank you.

Last edited:

Havana Dude

Follow your doctor's advice on rehab - that will make a very big difference in your recovery.

If you are still unable to get Rx pain meds for tonight there are options. My suggestion is generous application of hydrocortisone cream both above the knee bandage and below the knee.

PLUS.

Drink hot green tea with honey, lemon and (if you have no other meds in your system) a few ounces of whiskey. The green tea does "calm" the body. Honey has analgesic and antibacterial properties and it does not interfere with any antibiotics you were given at the hospital. The whiskey won't fix anything, but it does dull the ache. Remember the old joke, "repeat as needed!"

That concoction will not eliminate the pain, but it might help you get some rest tonight.
I’ve been back and to on Tylenol and ibuprofen, alternating. Like I was saying, it’s just a dull ache right now, more of a discomfort than “pain”. I’ll probably skip the whiskey, good point about it, but I’ll chance it tonight. Thanks for taking the time offering advice.

Havana Dude

i have that with my primary, but 1, she didn’t do the surgery(duh), and 2 , she’s closed on Fridays. You know, you’re not supposed to get sick on Friday!

Havana Dude

I actually got some sleep last night. I’m thinking this must have been one of the easier knee surgeries out there. I’m gonna skip the meds, except for the ibuprofen 800 mg. it can come in handy at times with my back pain.

oldfella1962

That's a nice option to have.
I haven't found a Dr that you can call and actually have any one answer the phone.
No kidding! First you have to work your way through a phone menu a few times, then still end up leaving a message for the nurse or whoever might be the person to get a message to your doctor - who may or may not be on vacation or retired. :LOL:

deermaster13

My wife just had knee surgery last week. She turns 58 in March. Repair and removed arthritis. He gave her a different med wensday and it's. Made a big difference in the swelling and pain. Good luck with your recovery. Hopefully mine holds out.

natureman

Go easy on the pain meds as they can damage your kidneys and liver. I had both knees replaced in the past three years. First time I had really high bad stuff in my blood work from the pain meds. Second knee I keep meds to a minimum and just took the pain. Ice and PT is your friend.

Havana Dude

Go easy on the pain meds as they can damage your kidneys and liver. I had both knees replaced in the past three years. First time I had really high bad stuff in my blood work from the pain meds. Second knee I keep meds to a minimum and just took the pain. Ice and PT is your friend.
Yea, I’m down to my normal regimen of meds. Never got any of the meds they prescribed due to pharmacy foul up I think I mentioned.