Knuckleheads

Redman54

My youngest son and nephew (both 16) decided on their ride home from a baseball game, they would try their hand at chasing a thunder chicken the following morning. Both have been hunting since old enough to walk, but neither have ever shown any interest in Turkey hunting. My son gets home around 11 that night and asks where my turkey vest was. I asked him what he needed it for and he tells me him and Ham-bone are going hunting in the morning and he needed a call and for me to show him how to use it. I laughed and told him where it was. He comes back with a slate and I gave him a quick lesson and after 10 minutes of practice, he could manage to make some noise with the occasional turkey sound mixed in. I told my wife the chances of them even seeing a turkey were slim to none. I woke him up the next morning and he gathered his stuff and left to go get his cousin and hit the woods. At 8:55 he called my phone but I wasn't able to answer it, I then get a simple text from him "I thought you said turkey hunting was hard, We got one ". I texted him back " there isn't a chance that you two knuckleheads killed a turkey". Just about then a pic comes through and I about fell out. I called him back and he tells me they got to our place, parked his truck at the gate and realized they forgot the keys. He said they were just going to walk down to the creek but when he shut his door, one fired off close to the field so they walked about 150 yards down the edge and set up. He said he called a few times and several hens flew down into the field, followed by the gobbler about 200 yards away. He said they sat there watching him strutting around for an hour before he tried to call again. He said he wasn't sure if it sounded good or not but all the hens started walking towards them and he slowly followed until he was 40 yards away and he sealed the deal. He said it was more fun than hunting a big buck and stalking up on a bunch of hogs all combined.

I called my wife and the first thing out of her mouth was I should feel bad for doubting them and maybe they could give me and my oldest son a few pointers...... :ROFLMAO:. I was super excited for them, and I left work to meet them at the house to help them clean him. I looked at both of them and said I was proud of them, and I'm glad they were successful, but don't go thinking it happens like this every time.

10" beard, 1" and 1 1/8" spurs. IMG_3286.jpg70239918413__2361FDB9-5EF9-490D-8816-E33C3014AAC2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackston

That’s awesome!!!!!

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Good story, now wait till he gets on one that whips his tail about ten times and see what he says.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Are you kidding me!?! WOOHOO! First off, who cares they killed a bird!?! I was filled with joy just listening to the conversation on the way home! Follow that with an early morning get after it, then a bird firing off on the truck door! Woohoo! That kids instincts took over and he knew EXACTLY what to do! You have done a heck of a job raising that boy and you should be as proud as I know you are! Congratulations all the way around! :cheers:

What a great read! Sometimes things just line up! Made my day!

HermanMerman

You are gonna want to march down to the local sporting good store and buy another vest and a pocket full of calls. Pretty sure your’s are spoken for now.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My midway vest is pretty nice, but I added a cushion to the cushion :cheers: