Lake Burton & Rabun/Seed lakes next weekend advice.

mmill143

Hi all,
I actively fish Lanier every week and Allatoona fairly often as well but have never been to Burton.

Does anyone have any experience with Burton this time of year and want to share some advice? I figure it will probably fish similarly to lanier seeing as they both have herring and spotted bass.

also, I'm looking at rabun and seed lakes as well. Anyone have any experience to share here?

Not looking for info, just color of water. With all the rain, how is the water? It is muddy or still clear? I plan on being their tomorrow. Thx in advance.

goshenmountainman

All the lakes you have mentioned are way over full, lots of debris and big logs floating everywhere from the flooding. Water was in the parking lot this morning at the Burton hatchery ramp, and seed lake was completely under water as was Rabun beach ramp. It has been pouring for the last two hours straight here at home, I live five miles from the hatchery. Don't see it getting any better.

Fishing was tough. Caught a total of about 16 between 3 guys on two boats. Main lake mainly clear, 74 - 75 degrees. All docks were underwater. Past the bridge leading into the river, it looked like chocolate milk and 55 degrees. Didn't stay there long. Crazy rain on the ride home. All roads were like rivers. Storm drains could not keep up.

SouthGa Fisher

I'm assuming the docks are under water because the owners haven't adjusted them? It has been low every time I've been over the past year. Looking at the lake levels on the GA Power website its saying that Burton is at 1866.4 and full pool is 1866.6 now though. Unless you were going to fish up the river, I'd say try it. I'm gonna take my kayak up either tonight or tomorrow night and see what happens.

Jimmy Harris

Not sure if a lot of folks appreciate the amount of rain we've had up here. This is a link to some photos of Lake Burton today.

The mtn man

Fished Saturday and absolutely wore the spots out. Very few people on the lake early. Lots of logs and trash floating around.
I fished seed before the rain, I caught shellcrackers, pickeral, perch, trout, but mostly spots in the 12 inch range.

Rabun

Was up all weekend...unfortunately at the end of a power washer cleaning up after all the high water. Glad to hear the fishing did not get shut down. I did see several huge carp jumping about...sounded like they were dropped from aircraft. I spoke to a guy that had run into what looked like an 8foot piece of partially submerged dock that was floating down the middle of the lake. He tied a noodle to it as a safety marker and was on the way back to tow it to a safe place. Was lucky his pontoon was not damaged, or even worse. Don't let your guard down...as the wind shifts, so does the debris.