Lanier Tailwater brown trout survey

lampern

Chattahoochee River Tailwater Sampling (This report courtesy of WRD Region Supervisor Anthony Rabern): Gainesville Fisheries staff conducted electrofishing surveys for trout on the Chattahoochee River below Lake Lanier (i.e., the Lanier Tailwater). The relative abundance of wild brown trout is slowly improving from historically low numbers documented in recent years. Lanier Tailwater is also known for producing trophy brown trout, including the 20 lb, 14 oz state record brown trout that was caught in 2014. While no state-record contenders were collected this week, some potential up-and-comers were noted.

lampern

The igloo cooler makes an impact on any fishery if not managed.

Yeah in addition to a lot of development and silt along the tailwater

Atlanta and its northern suburbs have been exploding in growth

Also the other day my sister saw 5 otters in the Hooch below Morgan Falls dam

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah in addition to a lot of development and silt along the tailwater

Atlanta and its northern suburbs have been exploding in growth

Also the other day my sister saw 5 otters in the Hooch below Morgan Falls dam
Otters work on fish for sure, especially the bigger ones.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Construction along the Chattahoochee corridor impacted the water temps below Morgan Falls. The siltation caused the water above Morgan Falls to warm up due to the reservoir becoming shallower raising water temps, impacting the aquatic life downstream. In the 1070s, the late Don Pfitzer, a well-respected fisheries biologist for Tennessee DNR and ultimately a long career with the USF&WS as assistant regional director of the SE, noted the prolific caddis hatches at Cochran Shoals as being one of the best hatches in the SE. According to an online article, Don died with his boots on fishing the Jackson River at age 91 in 2015. The construction boom in the 1980s doomed the lower Chattahoochee. I was able to fish the Hooch before the decline and it was spectacular. Gil

Last edited:

Michael F Sights

Construction along the Chattahoochee corridor impacted the water temps below Morgan Falls. The siltation caused the water above Morgan Falls to warm up due to the reservoir becoming shallower raising water temps, impacting the aquatic life downstream. In the 1070s, the late Don Pfitzer, a well-respected fisheries biologist for Tennessee DNR and ultimately a long career with the USF&WS as assistant regional director of the SE, noted the prolific caddis hatches at Cochran Shoals as being one of the best hatches in the SE. According to an online article, Don died with his boots on fishing the Jackson River at age 91 in 2015. The construction boom in the 1980s doomed the lower Chattahoochee. I was able to fish the Hooch before the decline and it was spectacular. Gil
In the Mid-80's when Light Cahills would hatch & the fishing was incredible, fish for risers till dark. Used to see people just waiting till the hatch before they fished.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've seen the Cahill spinner-fall at dark. Bouncing egg layers. Fish ignored conventional patterns. Ronnie Hall was next to me when I tied on a skater after the fish ignored the traditional Cahill. "That won't work" he said and then asked me for one when a 16" fish clobbered the skater. Gil

splatek

UAEC
My personal educated guess for any decline would be development coupled with stocking larger piscivorous rainbow trout.

Talking strictly about the Buford dam TW. I don’t care for the dh section, which for ask accounts just feeds the native big fish.

I’ve seen several LM bass come outta the upper section as well. Either wash down from local creeks or bucket biologists. Bream: I’ve caught a limit before. They gotta be having a heyday on eggs.

My research project is still going but my guess would be that any decline is related to a too rapidly changing environment and inability to adapt. However, brownies are Hardy so who knows.

Latest posts