Late gobbling/strutting

buckpasser

I just thought I’d mention that I’ve sure been seeing and hearing a pile of Tom activity for where I’m located (FL line). Last week I heard two Toms on two occasions in two different areas gobbling like it was March 15th. Today as I was checking traps I drove up on a third strutter that has been using the same small area for the entire spring. I’ve heard them gobble good into June in Illinois, but I personally haven’t experienced it here very often. We did leave some breeding flocks completely unpressured this spring on the farm. We’re also pretty much coyote free now, so maybe that’s played a part too. Whatever the cause, has anyone else seen or heard a lot lately?

turkeykirk

Haven’t this year but had a gobbler gobble across the road from my house just about every morning up to July last year.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Had one come up and hammer 10 ft from my cell cam a few days ago in the afternoon. Strutters last week. Then again, I have pictures of them strutting in July in previous years. Had a lot of piedmont poults over the last two weeks, that were hatched the first 10 days of May. I think the cool weather this spring stretched out the mating interest.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I heard 2 one morning last week on the lake fishing , gobbling like u said , acting like It was April !

280 Man

Banned
I had one to gobble two-three times last November! That's the latest I've ever heard one gobble! I e heard it several times in September before!

Juan De

Seen some strutting in my neighbors field a few days ago

XIronheadX

Got strutting pics 45 minutes ago. 2 toms, 2 jakes, and a lone hen. It's what toms do when hens are around.

delacroix

BANNED
Been usual the past several years some places. That's the source of those short feather wing patch, short beard, full fan gobblers. Be real glad when we're back to not needing to see the fan to shoot.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Been usual the past several years some places. That's the source of those short feather wing patch, short beard, full fan gobblers. Be real glad when we're back to not needing to see the fan to shoot.
? I never look at the fan

cracker4112

I had two strutters and a bunch of hens when we were slipping feeders 2 weeks ago in Glades County, FL. They were fired up and gobbled several times. This year I heard the first gobbles down there in January deer hunting.

Dang turkeys made it tough to get a shot at a boar hog that was laying down waiting for the feeder to go off. But they eventually got out of the way enough for my 13 year old to get him.

delacroix

BANNED
? I never look at the fan

Your call. Those late born gobblers could pass for super jakes. I let them go if I'm not satisfied it is a gobbler. Seeing a full fan is my criteria.

Nothing wrong with shooting jakes if it makes a good hunt for you. Ain't like I wouldn't shoot one in the fall.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Got strutting pics 45 minutes ago. 2 toms, 2 jakes, and a lone hen. It's what toms do when hens are around.
I got this video behind one of my job sites back in January. The gobbler in my other post is more than likely one of these birds. It’s only a few hundred yards from the pasture he’s gobbling in. Note there are no hens around. They gobbled like crazy on roost that morning and let me slip up within 30 yards to get this video

XIronheadX

I got this video behind one of my job sites back in January. The gobbler in my other post is more than likely one of these birds. It’s only a few hundred yards from the pasture he’s gobbling in. Note there are no hens around. They gobbled like crazy on roost that morning and let me slip up within 30 yards to get this video
Air guns and saws must have got them wound up. Lol. I've had them gobbling around job sites too. Jumped down and went out back and called one in years back. Maybe there's something to the noise.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Air guns and saws must have got them wound up. Lol. I've had them gobbling around job sites too. Jumped down and went out back and called one in years back. Maybe there's something to the noise.
They were gobbling at daylight before we got started. I ended up killing 3 of those birds this year. We weren’t working on that site during turkey season but we’re about to finish framing a house on a lot I killed 2 of them on. These are 5 acre lots in the middle of some great turkey habitat. Sadly I won’t be able to hunt there next year