Lead vs TSS

Long Cut

Decided to check the Zero on my turkey gun, a Stevens 301T in 20G with the Factory choke. I’ll typically run some Heavy 6’s through it at 20-30 yards just to verify zero and save me some money, than burn TSS to re-check zero.

37 yards
Remington Heavy 6’s 2/34” 1OZ
Federal TSS 3” 1.5OZ
Cardboard Target: 22.5” Long X 14” Wide

The Heavy 6’s shot “so poorly” in my mind, that I thought my red dot’s zero had shifted. Pulled out a TSS shell and let it fly, just to be sure.

Now, will those Heavy 6’s kill a turkey at 20-30 yards? Absolutely. Having said that, the TSS will provide some comfortable “room for error” if I misjudge the yardage or if there is brush in between us, etc..

Figured I’d share before we go “full swing” turkey season. 6 more days.IMG_0738.jpeg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
There’s a reason the military uses depleted uranium in some ammo. The same principle applies.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I firmly believe that some loads like different chokes and experimenting is the only way to figure out what's best for your gun. Pics like this continue to prove that. Once you find that load, you can stick with it.

Blackston

There’s a reason the military uses depleted uranium in some ammo. The same principle applies.
Explain ( I just tryn to learn somethin)

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Explain ( I just tryn to learn somethin)
Tungsten vs lead then Tungsten vs depleted uranium. Tungsten is about 1.7 times heavier and much harder than lead. Hence, one can use smaller shot and have the same down range energy and better penetration. Hence, comments of beaks with holes and head damage using 71/2 and 9s vs 5s and 6s in lead.

This video will explain tungsten vs depleted uranium. The military chose tungsten for armor piercing a ways back. Basicaly harder and heavier allows use of smaller projectiles with good penetration and high energy.

Long Cut

I firmly believe that some loads like different chokes and experimenting is the only way to figure out what's best for your gun. Pics like this continue to prove that. Once you find that load, you can stick with it.

This Stevens 301 will shoot Federal & Apex 9’s at 75-80% pattern density at 40 yards all day with the factory choke.
I haven’t even bothered to shoot a different choke or shell.

Buford_Dawg

TSS shot has totally changed the game with turkey hunting. No need to tote a heavy 12 guage around any longer. Most any 20 guage with TSS #9 and a factory full choke is a turkey killer all day long at 40 yards and if needed further. Amazing technology. It is expensive, 10 bucks or more a shell, but boy they do the job.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I bought a Sumtoy turkey choke for my .410 O/U. It easily holds 80% of #9 TSS out to 40 yds. Its nice toting a 5 lb gun around. I keep a modified in the bottom barrel in case one gets close.

Tight Lines

Decided to check the Zero on my turkey gun, a Stevens 301T in 20G with the Factory choke. I’ll typically run some Heavy 6’s through it at 20-30 yards just to verify zero and save me some money, than burn TSS to re-check zero.

37 yards
Remington Heavy 6’s 2/34” 1OZ
Federal TSS 3” 1.5OZ
Cardboard Target: 22.5” Long X 14” Wide

The Heavy 6’s shot “so poorly” in my mind, that I thought my red dot’s zero had shifted. Pulled out a TSS shell and let it fly, just to be sure.

Now, will those Heavy 6’s kill a turkey at 20-30 yards? Absolutely. Having said that, the TSS will provide some comfortable “room for error” if I misjudge the yardage or if there is brush in between us, etc..

Figured I’d share before we go “full swing” turkey season. 6 more days.View attachment 1295608
I'm most impressed with the precision counting...

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
This Stevens 301 will shoot Federal & Apex 9’s at 75-80% pattern density at 40 yards all day with the factory choke.
I haven’t even bothered to shoot a different choke or shell.
Lord have mercy, they are expensive though! I'd have to try a few less expensive loads just for fun.
I'm thinking about loading some of my own for myself and gifts for friends just to see how I could do. Just what I need though, another hobby! :LOL:

buckpasser

There is no comparison on lead vs Tungsten, period. That said, if I guy wants to always shoot them at 30 yards or less, it’s kind of a waste of money in a 12 ga. A Walmart 7.5 and a known POI will accomplish the same.

TSS really shines when you want a lighter gun, more range, or just enjoy tinkering with your weapon. I happen to fall into all three camps on occasion!

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There is no comparison on lead vs Tungsten, period. That said, if I guy wants to always shoot them at 30 yards or less, it’s kind of a waste of money in a 12 ga. A Walmart 7.5 and a known POI will accomplish the same.

TSS really shines when you want a lighter gun, more range, or just enjoy tinkering with your weapon. I happen to fall into all three camps on occasion!
Yeah, that's my thinking as well. If you're hunting a spot that's really tight where the longest shots are 30 yards and less, you might even be better off with a little more spread.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Yeah, that's my thinking as well. If you're hunting a spot that's really tight where the longest shots are 30 yards and less, you might even be better off with a little more spread.
Most misses are close birds, at least for me