Lessons, Musings, and Trapline Happenings....

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have not and traps out quite a month yet, so I am as new as it gets. This has been a very cool journey so far, with lots things happening, if you look, besides catching critters.

The whole operation makes me feel kind of old school. Sorta in touch with the woods in a way that is different from "normal" hunting and fishing pursuits.

There are things I have noticed that I would never have seen if not trapping. For example, there is nothing that has an icy hateful stare like a coyote whose time has come, and he knows it.

When you blow a whippo'will off his roost in the trail, he makes a squawking objection that can be plainly heard over the engine of a 900 Ranger, and it will scare you..

Releasing a trapped bobcat can turn a battle hardened combat vet into a nervous wreck..

A sense of responsibility to nature that makes you get up at 0500 and run the line, even if it's cold and raining, because it wouldn't be right to leave an animal trapped until you get off work.

Grandboys think trapping is cool...

I can't wait to learn more, as I go.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have one more, and I invite the rest of y'all to add your own points to ponder..

Yesterday afternoon, I saw some activity at one of my traps, from a distance...

Turns out a catbird had pulled my plug of sheep wool and was trying his best to tear it into smaller pieces, no doubt for his nest.

He flew up into a bush, and was meowing at me in disgust, for interrupting him.

I shredded the wad of wool into catbird sized bits, and went on my way. This morning, they were all picked up and carried off.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I enjoy anything that gets me in the woods . Also helps me locate some gobbling turkeys before season . Even helped me gain access to some new hunting land from a happy cattle farmer .

oldways

I like everything you said, trapping makes a better woodsman you pay attention to small details and nature as a whole all the creatures including us depend on each other. The good Lord put it all here for us to use, take what you need and leave it better than you found it. There something about trapping that is special when your trying to outsmart a critter that has lived there all his life. Good Luck and God Bless

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I have one more, and I invite the rest of y'all to add your own points to ponder..

Yesterday afternoon, I saw some activity at one of my traps, from a distance...

Turns out a catbird had pulled my plug of sheep wool and was trying his best to tear it into smaller pieces, no doubt for his nest.

He flew up into a bush, and was meowing at me in disgust, for interrupting him.

I shredded the wad of wool into catbird sized bits, and went on my way. This morning, they were all picked up and carried off.
That is cool. Our next door neighbors used to have horses. This time of year we would find strands of horse hair the birds had dropped in odd places in the yard. But they wouldn’t be there long. Amazing what they can see