Let's talk about Pennsylvania Flintlock Season.

Only single-barrel long-guns with a flintlock ignition system are permitted. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, which is . 44 caliber or larger, with iron, open " V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted)

GAHUNTER60

Mallards,

Not to be a contrarion, but I don't think you killed a deer.

You killed BIG FOOT!!! :eek:

Last edited:

GANGGREEN

It's my favorite deer season by far and I've been hunting in PA's late flintlock season since I was a teenager. I'd strongly encourage any and all Georgia hunters to pursue a similar season, partly because it's just so much fun, but also because it's a dying part of our history and people should be encouraged to learn about the firearms. Here's a .50 Isaac Haines flint gun that I just built and which will enter my normal rotation for hunting seasons (I also hunt turkeys and grouse with flintlock fowlers).

Isaac.jpg

GAHUNTER60

Wow, Ganggreen! Is that built from a TOTW Issac Haines kit? Since it doesn't have a patch box, it might not be. I'd love to hear the details on the wood and metal finish.

Any any case, it is absolutely gorgeous!

I just recently finished a ubiquitous Kibler Colonial rifle, and it's nice -- but nearly as nice as your Lancaster.

GANGGREEN

Wow, Ganggreen! Is that built from a TOTW Issac Haines kit? Since it doesn't have a patch box, it might not be. I'd love to hear the details on the wood and metal finish.

Any any case, it is absolutely gorgeous!

I just recently finished a ubiquitous Kibler Colonial rifle, and it's nice -- but nearly as nice as your Lancaster.

Thanks. This is actually the Chamber's Isaac Haines. I supplied the curly maple for the build and it's stained with Fiebings medium brown leather dye and finished with Minwax antique oil. The metal is 44/40 or whatever it's called, rubbed back. I wasn't thrilled with the finish on the metal this go around, so I did it over and think it looks better now. I have 4 other guns on my list right now, a late Lancaster and a Twigg fowler, both stick builds from my own wood, and a Tennessee squirrel rifle and a Lehigh with American chestnut stock, also both stick builds from scratch.

GAHUNTER60

Thanks. This is actually the Chamber's Isaac Haines. I supplied the curly maple for the build and it's stained with Fiebings medium brown leather dye and finished with Minwax antique oil. The metal is 44/40 or whatever it's called, rubbed back. I wasn't thrilled with the finish on the metal this go around, so I did it over and think it looks better now. I have 4 other guns on my list right now, a late Lancaster and a Twigg fowler, both stick builds from my own wood, and a Tennessee squirrel rifle and a Lehigh with American chestnut stock, also both stick builds from scratch.

I finished my Kibler with Laurel Mountain Lancaster Maple stain, and Minwax Antique Oil, however, my finish is much more muted than yours, even after five coats.

1620580316415.png

1620580240990.png

Darkhorse

I finished my Kibler with Laurel Mountain Lancaster Maple stain, and Minwax Antique Oil, however, my finish is much more muted than yours, even after five coats.

View attachment 1080173

View attachment 1080172
GA Hunter60, If you want a little shine use Chambers original oil finish, you can get a real shine or knock it back with steel wool for a more muted effect. It is sold on Jim Chambers website.
This first rifle is a .54 I built 20 odd years ago. It was finished with Chambers oil finish at that time. It's a tough finish.
The second rifle is a .40 I built 15 years ago. It too is finished with Chambers oil with the shine knocked back just a little.

SS850122.jpg

SS850183.jpg

Darkhorse

Both guns are fully rifled. It is legal to hunt turkeys with a Muzzle Loading rifle in Georgia and I'm a rifleman at heart. So I built the .40 specifically for turkey hunting but it does a lot of things well also. It has a Rice B profile swamped barrel with round bottom rifling, a large siler lefthand lock that I spent a few years on and off tuning for speed, smoothness and consistency. Davis set triggers. And a semi-fancy maple stock.
My turkey load is 60 grains of 3fg, .018 pillow ticking patch, with canola oil for a lube. And a .395 round ball. It is pure poison on big gobblers.
I've always shot a .54 caliber for hogs and deer and love shooting them but this .40 has become my favorite for paper to small game.

GANGGREEN

Very nice. West Virginia also allows rifles in the spring turkey season and I've been known to use my flintlocks there as well. I have several 36 calibers and one 40 caliber at this point. I've also been known to use a 54 caliber for deer, but I love them all. I've got a sweet little .36 Getz barrel that I had Charlie Burton swamp for me and which will probably become my go-to turkey rifle.

Both guns are fully rifled. It is legal to hunt turkeys with a Muzzle Loading rifle in Georgia and I'm a rifleman at heart. So I built the .40 specifically for turkey hunting but it does a lot of things well also. It has a Rice B profile swamped barrel with round bottom rifling, a large siler lefthand lock that I spent a few years on and off tuning for speed, smoothness and consistency. Davis set triggers. And a semi-fancy maple stock.
My turkey load is 60 grains of 3fg, .018 pillow ticking patch, with canola oil for a lube. And a .395 round ball. It is pure poison on big gobblers.
I've always shot a .54 caliber for hogs and deer and love shooting them but this .40 has become my favorite for paper to small game.