Off to a Great Start

01Foreman400

Staff member
My number one goal for this season was to see if we could get my youngest son Luke an opportunity at his first deer. He’s been going with me for the past 5 years watching his brother and I kill deer. He is 7 years old now. After several range sessions this summer I knew he was ready to be the one behind the gun this season. We hunt a small tract that’s close to our house that a good friend of mine owns. That’s where my other 2 kids got their first deer and I wanted to keep the tradition going. Sunday morning opening weekend of youth season Luke and I sat in a stand by a creek over looking a food plot that had just started to show some green in it. At 8:15 I see 2 deer coming out of the woods into the plot. My son said they are bucks! I said do you want to shoot one? He said oh yeah! I said get your gun ready and watch them through the scope. At this point they were about 150 yards away and too far for him to shoot. I grunted at them with my mouth and they came in on a string. I let him decide which buck he wanted to shoot. One was a tall 7 pointer and the other was a wide 8. He made the 78 yard shot and did a great job. After the shot he said I can’t stop shaking. LOL I had watched through my binoculars and knew the buck was hit but ran into some thick privet. Turns out he only ran about 15 yards. That boy was so excited when we found the buck. He called his momma and siblings and they came over to celebrate with us. That there made my season.

I had a fun solo hunt on 10/19. IMG_6059.jpegIMG_6210.jpeg

Last edited:
My number one goal for this season was to see if we could get my youngest son Luke an opportunity at his first deer. He’s been going with me for the past 5 years watching his brother and I kill deer. He is 7 years old now. After several range sessions this summer I knew he was ready to be the one behind the gun this season. We hunt a small tract that’s close to our house that a good friend of mine owns. That’s where my other 2 kids got their first deer and I wanted to keep the tradition going. Sunday morning opening weekend of youth season Luke and I sat in a stand by a creek over looking a food plot that had just started to show some green in it. At 8:15 I see 2 deer coming out of the woods into the plot. My son said they a bucks! I said do you want to shoot one? He said oh yeah! I said get your gun ready and watch them through the scope. At this point they were about 150 yards away and too far for him to shoot. I grunted at them with my mouth and they came in on a string. I let him decide which buck he wanted to shoot. One was a tall 7 pointer and the other was a wide 8. He made the 78 yard shot and did a great job. After the shot he said I can’t stop shaking. LOL I had watched through my binoculars and knew the buck was hit but ran into some thick privet. Turns out he only ran about 15 yards. That boy was so excited when we found the buck. He called his momma and siblings and they came over to celebrate with us. That there made my season.

I had a fun solo hunt on 10/19. View attachment 1263138View attachment 1263139
Wow what a heck of deer for you and your son !

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
One of those moments where you say to yourself....Life is good!! Always have enjoyed seeing your kids in pictures enjoying the outdoors with you. Congrats to him and you DD!

snuffy

Two fine bucks. Congratulations to you both!
Hope you have his buck mounted and the first picture framed
And hang them side by side.

Big7

The Oracle
Goooooooooooooooot :bounce:

Got to love it when the Walton Guys put up a good showing.

Congratulations to your youngest son. He put the hurt on him :LOL:

Hoss

That’s awesome Darrel. Great job by your son and you get a double reward seeing you son get his first buck (and a dandy one) and then you get a fine buck. Congrats to your son and you.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great job and you can see the excitement on his face ! Nothing better , congratulations ! I just seen yall’s entries in the truck buck and thought , why haven’t we got a story yet .