Leupold RCX

bowwinkles

last update was about a month ago and advanced yes function was not there yet . Pls post pictures both day and night.

Davans

My RCX-2 has been a big dissapointment so far. Very picky with SD Cards. Will not take night time pics. Leupold now tells me that it will only run on energizer lithium batteries...just under $20.00. I will say the day time pics at 10MP are awesome. Still working with Leupold trying to sort things out, mean while my old Moultier @ less than half the price keeps on ticking.....

mossyoakpro

I am doing an evaluation for Leupold on these cameras.....lets be nice and just say that they need to stick with optics and leave the game cameras to the companies that know game cameras.

Davans

I wonder if they will swap me a scope for this camera...............

Davans

I have been going back and forth with one of their techs....he now suggest that I return the unit for repair.

Roger T

ive had the rcx-2 since christmas,read the manual & set it up & put it on a tree. still takin great pics with the same battrys,i hope it aint the only good one they made cause im gonna be gettin more.ive had several other cams because the reveiws said they were great & they were pretty much junk in my opinion . this is the only one i havent had problems with,its been on a tree for nearly 1 1/2 months & doin great.the best thing ye can do is try out what ye want & go from there cause ye cant bank on 90% of what people say anymore.

Davans

ive had the rcx-2 since christmas,read the manual & set it up & put it on a tree. still takin great pics with the same battrys,i hope it aint the only good one they made cause im gonna be gettin more.ive had several other cams because the reveiws said they were great & they were pretty much junk in my opinion . this is the only one i havent had problems with,its been on a tree for nearly 1 1/2 months & doin great.the best thing ye can do is try out what ye want & go from there cause ye cant bank on 90% of what people say anymore.

Roger, I'm really really glad your is working out. I also got mine for Christmas and did just as you did but with much different results. The camera doesn't work. To make things worse, after running out and putting it on a tree the last week of December, we returned the next week to find a nice new scrape within 8' of the camera, my son and I could barely wait to plug in the controller but more than just a bit dissapointed to only have 3 pics of me filling of the feeder before we left. I have since been in contact with Leupold and working with one of their techs. $20.00 batteries, lots of setting changes to diagnos the problem. Leupold has asked me to return it for repair. I have an old Moultrie the has been under water during a flood and is 6 years old and still works fine. I'm not saying the Leupolds are bad but I do believe there is resonable evidence to suggest that there are still some kinks to work out on this new product. The day-time pics @ 10mp are great but the function of the camera I got is flawed.

I have also noticed that I don't see them on the self anymore or in any of the sales flyer adds that get mailed to the house.

Would you recommend someone spend the money to "try" one?

I would not.

Roger T

yes i would recommmend the rcx-2, & after owning several moultrie cams you couldnt pay me to use them.im not sayin you or anyone else are not havin problems with the rcx-2, just sayin im not. in the little booklet that comes with the rcx-2 it says that they recommend the use of energizer lithium batts.

bowwinkles

Roger, I would like to see those great pictures. Please post some.

Davans

yes i would recommmend the rcx-2, & after owning several moultrie cams you couldnt pay me to use them.im not sayin you or anyone else are not havin problems with the rcx-2, just sayin im not. in the little booklet that comes with the rcx-2 it says that they recommend the use of energizer lithium batts.

The little booklet " Suggest " the lithium batteries for longer life and better function in very cold climates.

Leupold now tells me that the camera will not fuction with regular batteries.

If lithiums are required, the camera should have come with them or at least it should have been advertised that you need these special batteries.

Leupold has also imformed me that to operate the camera in video mode that an external power sourse is required. Neither packaging or the little booklet states that.

I believe trail cams in general can be a bit finicky and there are always the dud units. But in this case, Leupold has released their product before working out the bugs. The Leupold rep I have been working with has admitted that the camera was not ready to go to market which is probably why I am not seeing the product on store selves and sales adds.

I'm a big fan of Leupold products and had very high expectations for the cameras. I'm sure they will get it figured out and make things right but knowing what I know, I sure wouldn't recommend them to anyone I know untill they improve the product.

Have you ran yours in video mode yet?

Davans

Great day time pics, nothing special about the night time pics.

Attachments

• test 2-10-12 001.JPG
    test 2-10-12 001.JPG
    450.5 KB · Views: 1,164

mossyoakpro

I have 4 of them total 2 RCX 1's and 2 RCX 2's as stated in an earlier post that I am evaluating for Leupold.....I have them set up right beside my very reliable Covert cams on a feeder.

Here are some of my latest findings on this camera. These are my latest ones but I have records all the way back to late October when I received them to do an eval on....they have not changed at all even after changing battery trays and doing updates and so forth....But I have to admit when they do take pictures they are very good pictures

Camera set up dates: 01-24-12 thru 02-01-12

Covert total picture count: 1964
Leupold RCX total picture count: 34

Camera set up dates: 20-01-12 thru 02-07-12

Covert picture total picture count: 1089
Leupold RCX total picture count: 2

Both camera were set on 2 minute delay and side by side....needless to say the Leupold cameras are laying on the floor in my office awaiting the call tag for return to Leupold.

As stated before....Leupold needs to stick to optics which they are very good at and leave the cameras to someone else.

And before I am blasted, these numbers are FACT And were properly documented for reference to Leupold.

Last edited:

tfos

just returned my second one because it dont work. even asked for my money back, they told me its wasnt ther policy to refund money.
i have since made it my policy to not buy leupold. for all the time and trouble i have had i could have bought a cuddie back or reconyx. they are JUNK if you have one that works just give it a little time it will quit.

fxwg85

Question for mossyoakpro. Did you keep track of the false pic count? As in when the covert took 1964 pics vrs 34 for the rcx how many didn't have anything there? I don't have a dog in this fight just curious.
Thanks

mossyoakpro

Question for mossyoakpro. Did you keep track of the false pic count? As in when the covert took 1964 pics vrs 34 for the rcx how many didn't have anything there? I don't have a dog in this fight just curious.
Thanks

I did not, there were some but not very many....I am not bashing Leupold just simply stating what my findings are after my evaluation for Leupold. Some of the other guys that are doing the same test are having great results but all 4 of mine are duds evidently.

It appears to me that you either get a really good one or you get a really bad one with these cameras....unfortunately they sent me 4 bad ones to work with, they have not liked my eval so far but if they did not want the truth they should not have asked me to help them out with an eval....:bounce:

I would definately steer clear of these cameras until they get the bugs worked out.