Limb line fishing - Who has used Zote Soap?

Nimrod71

My wife came home today from Church and was all excited about a new catfishing bait for limb lines. Seems some of her girl friends told her about catching big cats using Zote soap on limb lines. Now she wants to go try it, she has never fished trotlines or limb lines. I have heard of using soap but I have never tried it.

So the question is: Has anyone used soap and if so how was the catch? I have been told Zote soap was the best to use.

We will be fishing the Altamaha River around Eason's Bluff.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I used to use soap on trotlines in the lower Oconee River. Either Octagon or Camay. Cut in half inch squares. Only used it in the winter time when the water was a little colder so the soap wouldn`t melt.

Never heard that one before. I thought chicken soaked in wd-40 was a stretch but seems to work very well

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have used Zote on noodles with mixed results.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Caught plenty on ivory . Take a piece of fishing line and cut it in small squares . I always used it on short trot lines . Shallow water out of the current , short lines with 6-8 hooks . Catch eating size channel cats mostly .

cddogfan1

I don't understand why folks think this will out fish regular live or cut natural bait. Will it catch fish yes. But side by side with the real stuff it will never out fish it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We tried it several times on jugs as an experiment. Zote and Ivory both. Never caught a single fish, when we were mopping them up at the same time with cut bait.

4bes

Zote soap contains a higher concentration of animal lard. Channel Cats love it but it don't last long in moving water.

Nimrod71

Well I am going to try it. Bought two bars of Zote soap and cut them in 1 in cubes, warmed them and put them on my hooks. I plan on putting out 10 lines to make it easier to figure a bite percentage. My plan is to have them out by 7 a.m. and check them at 12 p.m. and again at 7 p.m. I will rebait at 7 p.m. and check them at 7 a.m. Wednesday morning. A 24 hour time should give a good idea of how well soap works.

Big7

The Oracle
I don't understand why folks think this will out fish regular live or cut natural bait. Will it catch fish yes. But side by side with the real stuff it will never out fish it.
I use cut bait.
Brim, cut and whole Bluebacks, catfish cheeks, Gar, Carp and whatever will get in a minnow trap.
?

That's all I have ever used except when specifically trying to catch turtles then chicken gizzards and hearts are best. IMO. But big Blues and especially Flatheads love gizzards and hearts too.

Nimrod71

I'm back again. Over night the ten lines I up out brought in 6 channel cats. The smallest weighted 2 1/2 lb. and the largest 4 3/4 lb. Total weight of 22 1/4 lbs. Not to bad, but a lot of work to clean. It was fun but as others have state other baits work just as well or better. The river is down and the fish are out there looking for something to eat go catch some, I am.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If you put out 10 single hook lines and caught 6 , I’ll take them odds any day . I’ll also add trash fish , turtles and other junk don’t mess with soap .

I'm back again. Over night the ten lines I up out brought in 6 channel cats. The smallest weighted 2 1/2 lb. and the largest 4 3/4 lb. Total weight of 22 1/4 lbs. Not to bad, but a lot of work to clean. It was fun but as others have state other baits work just as well or better. The river is down and the fish are out there looking for something to eat go catch some, I am.
Take you some chicken breasts and cut them up into whatever size you are going to fish with and soak all those in wd-40 for 24 hours out on the Counter then go fish with them. See how you do with that… like to see how they compare to your soap on your waters